Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983

    WTB: Fox 38 Factory 170mm

    Just seeing whose holding. PB is filled with way overpriced used forks right now. Buddy will sell me one with two rides for a good price. Just in case someone has something in the $600-700 range on here figured I'd post up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,466
    Hmmm, maybe. I've got a 38 and Zeb currently. I was considering ordering a new ZEB and replacing one of them

    Any interest in a low miles 2022 Zeb Ultimate with a Luftkappe?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Just seeing whose holding. PB is filled with way overpriced used forks right now. Buddy will sell me one with two rides for a good price. Just in case someone has something in the $600-700 range on here figured I'd post up.
    I've got a super minty 38 Factory, but 160mm. PM if interested, and if willing to swap air spring/travel.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Hmmm, maybe. I've got a 38 and Zeb currently. I was considering ordering a new ZEB and replacing one of them

    Any interest in a low miles 2022 Zeb Ultimate with a Luftkappe?
    So have a Zeb Select right now. Great at high speed. Biggest grip is mid to low speed performance with the RC damper. I really need more plush/grip and what I'm hearing is that 38 Factory Grip2 is definitely better than the Zeb Ultimate with the RC2.1 or 3. Anyone want to chime in? Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?

    Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,593
    The Zeb Ult A2 (with Buttercups) is fantastic. I got one for the ebike, and liked it so much I sold my EXT Era and got a second one for the enduro bike. I've ridden my buddy's 38s a handful of times and feel like it's much easier to bottom out even with a pile of tokens.

    There's a lot fewer damper clicks on the A2, but each one feels pretty noticeable which helps dialing it in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?
    The Luftkappe helped a ton with the high frequency, off the top hits for me.

    It's stiffer than the 38 IME, if that is good or bad depends on what you are after.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The Luftkappe helped a ton with the high frequency, off the top hits for me.

    It's stiffer than the 38 IME, if that is good or bad depends on what you are after.
    Not being able to bottom out is nice and I have noticed that with the Zeb....but it's also so stiff off the top that its like it has too much air in it unless going mach loony through rock gardens or off drops. Like it barely even uses ANY travel at all just in normal trail riding. Is that because of the damper I currently have? Is your Zeb that different or is not having a lot of plush how they are supposed to feel.....even the "good" ones aka Ultimate with the fancy damper?

    Aaaannnnd, how much you want for it cause price is gonna dictate my choice quite a bit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Not being able to bottom out is nice and I have noticed that with the Zeb....but it's also so stiff off the top that its like it has too much air in it unless going mach loony through rock gardens or off drops. Like it barely even uses ANY travel at all just in normal trail riding. Is that because of the damper I currently have? Is your Zeb that different or is not having a lot of plush how they are supposed to feel.....even the "good" ones aka Ultimate with the fancy damper?

    Aaaannnnd, how much you want for it cause price is gonna dictate my choice quite a bit.
    The only Rock Shox Select fork I have used is a 120mm Sid so no real reference to the damper. I will say my complaint with the 2 Zebs I have owned was the off the top harshness, I am only 145lbs so maybe that's a factor. The Luftkappe has helped this issue noticeably, Sram updated there air spring to copy this for 2023.

    Maybe it's worth it to just try that on yours??? Or just buy the new air spring from Sram.

    How long of steerer tube do you need?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The only Rock Shox Select fork I have used is a 120mm Sid so no real reference to the damper. I will say my complaint with the 2 Zebs I have owned was the off the top harshness, I am only 145lbs so maybe that's a factor. The Luftkappe has helped this issue noticeably, Sram updated there air spring to copy this for 2023.

    Maybe it's worth it to just try that on yours??? Or just buy the new air spring from Sram.

    How long of steerer tube do you need?
    Ok my bike is at a second location as I'm in the process of moving. Will measure it tomorrow and let you know.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    16,772
    I'm pretty sure you know what my advice is

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So have a Zeb Select right now. Great at high speed. Biggest grip is mid to low speed performance with the RC damper. I really need more plush/grip and what I'm hearing is that 38 Factory Grip2 is definitely better than the Zeb Ultimate with the RC2.1 or 3. Anyone want to chime in? Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?

    Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Not sure if the 38 will suit your purpose any better.
    I had a Factory 38 on my Ripmo and had a similar gripe with it. If I tuned it for speed it was sub-optimal on anything less than fully pinned.
    At a buds urging, I tried his Mezzer Pro.
    Put my 38 for sale the next day and haven't looked back. Put Mezzer Pros on both mine and wife's new Offerings.

    I've never had a fork with better combo of low speed chatter absorption and high speed support. The 200 gram savings doesn't hurt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Not sure if the 38 will suit your purpose any better.
    I had a Factory 38 on my Ripmo and had a similar gripe with it. If I tuned it for speed it was sub-optimal on anything less than fully pinned.
    I have my Factory 38 on the Battery Bike, though it's not the E-bike tune. That thing is glued to the ground and tracks awesome on the Levo, not surprising. I do use the bike for work but when using it for fun it's to make alpine rides doable in half the time (2 young children). So it sees big descents as fast I can ride. Honestly I have a hard time finding anything wrong with it on that tool.

    I had one of the first Zebs, I got it while working at a bike company. I was coming off of a Push ACS3 Grip2 36, so a very different feeling fork. I found Zeb very harsh off the top no matter what I tried. Honestly, it hurt me and made me question why they exist as Lyriks worked so well.

    When I got another one for a build I knew I would be trying the Luftkappe or Smashpot but tried it without just for the baseline since it had been a year. Its a stiff fork, no doubt but the Luftkappe helped smooth out the ride. I think I would just buy the new air spring if it was available and I had a non-updated fork. Then you don't have to mess with taking apart an airshaft. I have the proper tools but it's another thing to fuck with while your fork is apart.

    I have nothing constructive to add as far as Mezzer's go, so in non TGR fashion I will let the fanboys parade on.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983
    Yes I to was coming from a Push AC23 converted 36. Shit was fucking SMOOOTH. The Zeb is just painful.

    So an airspring upgrade will improve it even though it has the cheapo RC damper?? It's a 2022 Zeb if that matters.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yes I to was coming from a Push AC23 converted 36. Shit was fucking SMOOOTH. The Zeb is just painful.

    So an airspring upgrade will improve it even though it has the cheapo RC damper?? It's a 2022 Zeb if that matters.
    As stated, I have no experience with the Zeb Selects damper, but I have a hard time thinking it's on the same page as anything else mentioned in this thread. That being said the Air spring is its own thing and yes it will improve the fork. Enough to make you happy with it??????
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yes I to was coming from a Push AC23 converted 36. Shit was fucking SMOOOTH. The Zeb is just painful.

    So an airspring upgrade will improve it even though it has the cheapo RC damper?? It's a 2022 Zeb if that matters.
    So much obsession these days with the new fatter forks when the 36 was/is pretty awesome. Wondering why you wouldn't just go back to the 36 with Push Coil? Is it peer pressure, or is there some objective way the 36 is disappointing you now?
    However many are in a shit ton.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,665
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced 36 if you're moving on from it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So much obsession these days with the new fatter forks when the 36 was/is pretty awesome. Wondering why you wouldn't just go back to the 36 with Push Coil? Is it peer pressure, or is there some objective way the 36 is disappointing you now?
    The fact that they've limited the travel to 160mm to avoid model overlap doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    The fact that they've limited the travel to 160mm to avoid model overlap doesn't help.
    I wonder if the old air springs are compatible to just extend it? Although I think there were 36 models that did top out at 160 with shorter stanchions. I thought those were OE forks though. That is disappointing though. At 145 lbs myself, I don't feel a need for a stiffer fork, happy with the 36. Or in my case now the 36mm stanchion Era.

    Whiteroom, poor performance of your Zeb with an outdated air spring and a base model damper seems like a given. Base model dampers usually suck and the air spring has been addressed. Seems like there's a lot to do before giving up on the fork and I bet you'd mostly recoup your costs if you sell it. As it is it's not worth much to anyone who knows what's up. Lots don't though I guess.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    3,263
    Tight and misaligned lower bushings are also a thing on Zebs.

    I donít think older 170 air shafts fit the new 36s. Iíll try and confirm that with Diaz.
    I think 38mm forks are overkill for most folks - unless youíre on a e-bike or a bigger fella on a full-on enduro race sled.
    Iíve been fighting the urge to buy the old stock 170mm Lyriks and 36s.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    16,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    The fact that they've limited the travel to 160mm to avoid model overlap doesn't help.
    If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    entrapped
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....
    Mezzer pro?

    Thinking this is either a trivia, rhetorical, or trick question.

    Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....
    To be fair, you just described the Era as well. Albeit at a less friendly price point.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....
    Ahhhh, if only...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    15,983
    I'd need at least 6.25-6.5" of steerer. I'm on a GG Gnarvana. The 36 with the coil went with the old bike when I sold it.

    As much as I'd love to spend $300-400 and take 6 or 7 hours in my cold garage trying to upgrade my current fork I would rather just try something slightly better for $600ish.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    16,772
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Mezzer pro?

    Thinking this is either a trivia, rhetorical, or trick question.

    Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm mostly just a shameless Manitou homer because they sponsor my kid, but yes. Also, Roxtar builds some of pimpest bikes I've ever seen and has posted recently about switching all his bikes to Mezzers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •