Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

WTB: Fox 38 Factory 170mm

Just seeing whose holding. PB is filled with way overpriced used forks right now. Buddy will sell me one with two rides for a good price. Just in case someone has something in the $600-700 range on here figured I'd post up.

Hmmm, maybe. I've got a 38 and Zeb currently. I was considering ordering a new ZEB and replacing one of them

Any interest in a low miles 2022 Zeb Ultimate with a Luftkappe?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Just seeing whose holding. PB is filled with way overpriced used forks right now. Buddy will sell me one with two rides for a good price. Just in case someone has something in the $600-700 range on here figured I'd post up.
    I've got a super minty 38 Factory, but 160mm. PM if interested, and if willing to swap air spring/travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Hmmm, maybe. I've got a 38 and Zeb currently. I was considering ordering a new ZEB and replacing one of them

Any interest in a low miles 2022 Zeb Ultimate with a Luftkappe?
    So have a Zeb Select right now. Great at high speed. Biggest grip is mid to low speed performance with the RC damper. I really need more plush/grip and what I'm hearing is that 38 Factory Grip2 is definitely better than the Zeb Ultimate with the RC2.1 or 3. Anyone want to chime in? Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The Zeb Ult A2 (with Buttercups) is fantastic. I got one for the ebike, and liked it so much I sold my EXT Era and got a second one for the enduro bike. I've ridden my buddy's 38s a handful of times and feel like it's much easier to bottom out even with a pile of tokens.

There's a lot fewer damper clicks on the A2, but each one feels pretty noticeable which helps dialing it in.

Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?
    The Luftkappe helped a ton with the high frequency, off the top hits for me.

It's stiffer than the 38 IME, if that is good or bad depends on what you are after.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The Luftkappe helped a ton with the high frequency, off the top hits for me.

It's stiffer than the 38 IME, if that is good or bad depends on what you are after.
    Not being able to bottom out is nice and I have noticed that with the Zeb....but it's also so stiff off the top that its like it has too much air in it unless going mach loony through rock gardens or off drops. Like it barely even uses ANY travel at all just in normal trail riding. Is that because of the damper I currently have? Is your Zeb that different or is not having a lot of plush how they are supposed to feel.....even the "good" ones aka Ultimate with the fancy damper?

Aaaannnnd, how much you want for it cause price is gonna dictate my choice quite a bit.

Not being able to bottom out is nice and I have noticed that with the Zeb....but it's also so stiff off the top that its like it has too much air in it unless going mach loony through rock gardens or off drops. Like it barely even uses ANY travel at all just in normal trail riding. Is that because of the damper I currently have? Is your Zeb that different or is not having a lot of plush how they are supposed to feel.....even the "good" ones aka Ultimate with the fancy damper?

Aaaannnnd, how much you want for it cause price is gonna dictate my choice quite a bit.
    The only Rock Shox Select fork I have used is a 120mm Sid so no real reference to the damper. I will say my complaint with the 2 Zebs I have owned was the off the top harshness, I am only 145lbs so maybe that's a factor. The Luftkappe has helped this issue noticeably, Sram updated there air spring to copy this for 2023.

Maybe it's worth it to just try that on yours??? Or just buy the new air spring from Sram.

How long of steerer tube do you need?

Formerly Rludes025

The only Rock Shox Select fork I have used is a 120mm Sid so no real reference to the damper. I will say my complaint with the 2 Zebs I have owned was the off the top harshness, I am only 145lbs so maybe that's a factor. The Luftkappe has helped this issue noticeably, Sram updated there air spring to copy this for 2023.

Maybe it's worth it to just try that on yours??? Or just buy the new air spring from Sram.

How long of steerer tube do you need?
    Ok my bike is at a second location as I'm in the process of moving. Will measure it tomorrow and let you know.

I'm pretty sure you know what my advice is

So have a Zeb Select right now. Great at high speed. Biggest grip is mid to low speed performance with the RC damper. I really need more plush/grip and what I'm hearing is that 38 Factory Grip2 is definitely better than the Zeb Ultimate with the RC2.1 or 3. Anyone want to chime in? Does the Luftkappe make a big difference?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Not sure if the 38 will suit your purpose any better.
    I had a Factory 38 on my Ripmo and had a similar gripe with it. If I tuned it for speed it was sub-optimal on anything less than fully pinned.
    At a buds urging, I tried his Mezzer Pro.
    Put my 38 for sale the next day and haven't looked back. Put Mezzer Pros on both mine and wife's new Offerings.

I've never had a fork with better combo of low speed chatter absorption and high speed support. The 200 gram savings doesn't hurt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Not sure if the 38 will suit your purpose any better.
    I had a Factory 38 on my Ripmo and had a similar gripe with it. If I tuned it for speed it was sub-optimal on anything less than fully pinned.
    I have my Factory 38 on the Battery Bike, though it's not the E-bike tune. That thing is glued to the ground and tracks awesome on the Levo, not surprising. I do use the bike for work but when using it for fun it's to make alpine rides doable in half the time (2 young children). So it sees big descents as fast I can ride. Honestly I have a hard time finding anything wrong with it on that tool.

I had one of the first Zebs, I got it while working at a bike company. I was coming off of a Push ACS3 Grip2 36, so a very different feeling fork. I found Zeb very harsh off the top no matter what I tried. Honestly, it hurt me and made me question why they exist as Lyriks worked so well.

When I got another one for a build I knew I would be trying the Luftkappe or Smashpot but tried it without just for the baseline since it had been a year. Its a stiff fork, no doubt but the Luftkappe helped smooth out the ride. I think I would just buy the new air spring if it was available and I had a non-updated fork. Then you don't have to mess with taking apart an airshaft. I have the proper tools but it's another thing to fuck with while your fork is apart.

I have nothing constructive to add as far as Mezzer's go, so in non TGR fashion I will let the fanboys parade on.

Formerly Rludes025

Yes I to was coming from a Push AC23 converted 36. Shit was fucking SMOOOTH. The Zeb is just painful.

So an airspring upgrade will improve it even though it has the cheapo RC damper?? It's a 2022 Zeb if that matters.

Yes I to was coming from a Push AC23 converted 36. Shit was fucking SMOOOTH. The Zeb is just painful.

So an airspring upgrade will improve it even though it has the cheapo RC damper?? It's a 2022 Zeb if that matters.
    As stated, I have no experience with the Zeb Selects damper, but I have a hard time thinking it's on the same page as anything else mentioned in this thread. That being said the Air spring is its own thing and yes it will improve the fork. Enough to make you happy with it??????

Formerly Rludes025

So much obsession these days with the new fatter forks when the 36 was/is pretty awesome. Wondering why you wouldn't just go back to the 36 with Push Coil? Is it peer pressure, or is there some objective way the 36 is disappointing you now?
    However many are in a shit ton.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 36 if you're moving on from it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So much obsession these days with the new fatter forks when the 36 was/is pretty awesome. Wondering why you wouldn't just go back to the 36 with Push Coil? Is it peer pressure, or is there some objective way the 36 is disappointing you now?
    The fact that they've limited the travel to 160mm to avoid model overlap doesn't help.

The fact that they've limited the travel to 160mm to avoid model overlap doesn't help.
    I wonder if the old air springs are compatible to just extend it? Although I think there were 36 models that did top out at 160 with shorter stanchions. I thought those were OE forks though. That is disappointing though. At 145 lbs myself, I don't feel a need for a stiffer fork, happy with the 36. Or in my case now the 36mm stanchion Era.

Whiteroom, poor performance of your Zeb with an outdated air spring and a base model damper seems like a given. Base model dampers usually suck and the air spring has been addressed. Seems like there's a lot to do before giving up on the fork and I bet you'd mostly recoup your costs if you sell it. As it is it's not worth much to anyone who knows what's up. Lots don't though I guess.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Tight and misaligned lower bushings are also a thing on Zebs.

I don’t think older 170 air shafts fit the new 36s. I’ll try and confirm that with Diaz.
    I think 38mm forks are overkill for most folks - unless you’re on a e-bike or a bigger fella on a full-on enduro race sled.
    I’ve been fighting the urge to buy the old stock 170mm Lyriks and 36s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If only there was a fork that weighed as much as a 36, was almost as stiff as a 38, and could be run anywhere from 140 mm to 180 mm without buying a new air shaft....
    Mezzer pro?

Thinking this is either a trivia, rhetorical, or trick question.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

To be fair, you just described the Era as well. Albeit at a less friendly price point.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ahhhh, if only...

I'd need at least 6.25-6.5" of steerer. I'm on a GG Gnarvana. The 36 with the coil went with the old bike when I sold it.

As much as I'd love to spend $300-400 and take 6 or 7 hours in my cold garage trying to upgrade my current fork I would rather just try something slightly better for $600ish.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Mezzer pro?

Thinking this is either a trivia, rhetorical, or trick question.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm mostly just a shameless Manitou homer because they sponsor my kid, but yes. Also, Roxtar builds some of pimpest bikes I've ever seen and has posted recently about switching all his bikes to Mezzers.