AK King Salmon mount point

I was gifted a pair of 180 King Salmons. Where the fuck do I mount these? Yes, on top, bindings facing forward, got that. Google just gives me pictures of some stupid fish bolted to the wall, I guess the fish was named after the skis or something.

There is a white line on the topsheet, but I can't tell if it's a factory line or something a previous owner added. Previous mounts were for telemarketeering bindings and we all know that, like gingers, telemarkers are not to be trusted. Well, except for the one that gave me the skis, he's cool.

Anyway said line is 77cm from the tail and the ski actually measures 179cm so that's a mount point of -12cm from center. Being an old school ski, I'd expect a rear mount (so does your mom) but if someone has a pair of these kicking around and can verify this for me, that'd be sweet.

Knowing the age of that ski, and the style of the time— in your position I’d do a ball-of-foot mount.

Place skis on a pipe. Roll until skis are balanced. Place ball of foot over the pipe. Draw a line at center of foot. That’s boot center.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those are sweet skis. Fuck if I know where you should mount them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I remember when they were created and seeking partnerships around kirkwood. I think Craig G competed on a pair.

Unfortunately they were too burly for the masses.

I’m stoked for adrenalated. Please post pics!

And let’s keep this thread alive so he can find his mount.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe Splat would know? Anyone have his contact info these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

site:tetongravity.com "ak king salmon"

Plug that into your search bar

Most are on the line. This one says maybe 1 or 2 back for soft snow
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s-180-Explosiv

These are the ones the Superbro was based on / a replica of?

I guess it depends what you want to use it for.

Splat put me at +1,5 for my SBs, I think. But that is for groomers and slush bumps on a 195 ski.

Guess it doesn’t help you if you’re unsure about the origin of the line

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    These are the ones the Superbro was based on / a replica of?

Splat put me at +1,5 for my SBs, I think. But that is for groomers and slush bumps on a 195 ski.

Guess it doesn’t help you if you’re unsure about the origin of the line
    No, different ski. The Superbro was the Hart Fuelie Boss, built by Blossom. I don't know who built the AK / Aldo Kuinen (? sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    site:tetongravity.com "ak king salmon"

Plug that into your search bar

Most are on the line. This one says maybe 1 or 2 back for soft snow
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s-180-Explosiv
    I'd go on the line now. Back in the day, this was a "wide" ski, but they were still bottom feeders.
    I don't think it's worth trying to make them perform in pow with the new breed of rockered skis.

But, beats me where "the line" is. I don't remember them being vastly different from the Explosivs (which I still have, so I can measure). I can see -12 being in the ballpark for this era. If you're used to more forward mounted skis and are using them on hardpack, I can see moving them up toward -10ish. Might be a crap shoot with the other mounts and you'll have to drill 'em where ever you can.

Such a classic under-rated ski.

Edit to add: reading back through old threads is such a throw-back. Ah Memories...
    I feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I was gifted a pair of 180 King Salmons. Where the fuck do I mount these? Yes, on top, bindings facing forward, got that. Google just gives me pictures of some stupid fish bolted to the wall, I guess the fish was named after the skis or something.

There is a white line on the topsheet, but I can't tell if it's a factory line or something a previous owner added. Previous mounts were for telemarketeering bindings and we all know that, like gingers, telemarkers are not to be trusted. Well, except for the one that gave me the skis, he's cool.

Anyway said line is 77cm from the tail and the ski actually measures 179cm so that's a mount point of -12cm from center. Being an old school ski, I'd expect a rear mount (so does your mom) but if someone has a pair of these kicking around and can verify this for me, that'd be sweet.
    Hey, I know who you got these from ;-)
    I still have my pair, and the white factory lines are still there and in the same location as yours -- about 77cm from the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Those are sweet skis. Fuck if I know where you should mount them.
    I don't remember, did you ski them much? I've obviously been slacking on getting them up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    he can find his mount.
    <insert another your mom joke here>

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Being the radest fucking skier on the mountain, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Might be a crap shoot with the other mounts and you'll have to drill 'em where ever you can.
    Fortunately telemark bindings aren't real and the holes usually never sometimes don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Hey, I know who you got these from ;-)
    I still have my pair, and the white factory lines are still there and in the same location as yours -- about 77cm from the tail.
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

I did ski them a fair bit. The last day I skied them was at Jones Pass, when I realized that they sucked in bc powder. So I would recommend not using them for that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

THEY IS RISEN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230320_002226904.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	453354

You must be at least 1.5 off. In what direction, I do not know. Have fun with them. Slice and dice.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague