TR: the Trams of Cham

Spent in a week in 'Cham, couldn't help but Tram. Tried to find a Tram Riders sticker but struck out. Maybe one day.

Arrival day: Brevent/Flegere Liaison
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v88kxPw.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	452196

Didn't get a pic of course.. but here is what Flegere low tide looks like.

Name:	t1OOLJh.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	452197
    Pomas that turn 90 degrees a la gauche.. dope.

Took the liaison back over and saw that the Brevent Tram was pedestrian only.. seems racist to me. (Video: https://imgur.com/EvluRG0)

Day 2 scraped around le Tour and Grand Motets. Damn GM tram burned down a few years ago. I guess they are planning to re build it but I don't know Lloyd, the french are assholes.

Day 3: Italia!

Name:	wkOhdqz.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	452198
    Val Veny tram fully to ourselves. Pretty wild experience, didn't see a single person on hill for 4 runs.

Name:	NUKzTAZ.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	452199
    The Youla!

Name:	uEcISmW.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	452200
    Bad pic of the Courmayeur town tram, but it was a nice one, probably the biggest tram car (120?) I've been in. Pissing rain at the bottom.

Arp tram wasn't running or this could've been 4 in a day!

Day 4: GM + VB

Name:	iaIxfPN.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	452201
    No pic on the Aguille because I was clenching my cheeks the whole time.. but you get the idea.

Day 5: Verbier

Name:	7t9U3Yx.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	452202
    Again.. no pics on the Funispace but it was a funky one! Absolutely loved how many connected lift buildings there were at Verbier.

Thats all til next time, Tram Riders!

Any recs on guides in Cham.
    I'd like to ski the Aigiulle du Midi
    Arriving on the eve of 26th

Just go to the guide center in town. They are all solid.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thanks, that was the plan
    Wife wasn't super stoked to hear about the repel entry

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Thanks, that was the plan
    Wife wasn't super stoked to hear about the repel entry
    What are you skiing off the Midi which requires a rap?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Was just there 2 weeks ago and there is no rappel entry at least for the regular vallee blanche route. There's a rope that's anchored into the ridge line that you have to walk down (crampons HIGHLY recommended), and our guide did have us harnessed and roped up as a group, but we didn't actually rappel down into the bowl.

I don't think I've ever seen the arete in bad enough shape to require a rap, although the exposure is so damn ridiculous up there it tends to paralyze people and rapping could make sense. It would be a major PITA given the low angle and length of that section though. Crampons are definitely mandatory if it's bulletproof, and throwing skis on the pack to have both hands free is a must. I've seen people use the handlines via-ferrata style, clipping in with a couple of runners so they're always attached to something. Also a pain to deal with unclipping/reclipping every time you come to one of the steel posts buried in the ice.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

We didn't need crampons but i was definitely gripped on the rope. Of course there were french dudes shouldering their skis down like NBD too

There is a good guide office next door to the Midi base station. The stroll down the arte to start the Valle Blanche is a cake walk if you don't mind exposure, and gripping if you do. Most guides will rope you, but it is easy to shoulder your skis and walk it if you are used to that sort of think...it has nothing to do with being French.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot