Tinted licence plate covers to foil speed and intersection cameras

Any one know about this or using them?
    Do they work?
    Where I live they're popping up everywhere.
    Not that I speed in school zones but on highways I sure do. If they do work then why not.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Sure would be nice to not worry about stoplight cams. Bonus if if works on bridge tolls lol

I think Mythbusters busted this one.

Isn’t it illegal to have anything over your license plate?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

To complete the look, dark tint all the windows but leave a few bubbles in it so people know you did it yourself and recline the seat backs so your eyes are just barely above the dashboard in case they have a front picture. Full stealth.

What they do around here is take the real plates off and put some fake paper temporary’s on. That works too.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Isn’t it illegal to have anything over your license plate?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    In VT you can't even have an "I love Elvis" plate frame never mind some tinted cover.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In the SLC area these tinted license plate covers are extremely common. You’d think it would be illegal to obscure your license plate but with how many there are I’m not so sure.

It would be worth a try.

Last place I lived I nearly got my license suspended without ever getting pulled over. Eventually the city got sued for rigging the cameras, but it didn’t make the points go away nor did I get a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    It would be worth a try.

Last place I lived I nearly got my license suspended without ever getting pulled over. Eventually the city got sued for rigging the cameras, but it didn’t make the points go away nor did I get a refund.
    Chicago?

In my idiotic youth I drove a black Audi 4k with dark tint, matte black rims, and a tinted license plate cover. With the lights off, it was invisible at night. I may or may not have taken advantage of that to evade the police a time or several.

I was a flagger for a road construction crew one summer and a statey stopped and told me the cover was illegal and that I needed to remove it. Obviously I ignored them. Same cop drove by the next day and stopped again to ask how I felt about getting my car out of impound. I removed it in front of them.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    In the SLC area these tinted license plate covers are extremely common. You’d think it would be illegal to obscure your license plate but with how many there are I’m not so sure.
    I am stunned what you are able to get away with in Utah. Missing plates, paper temp tags taped up behind super-tinted windows. I ran my WV plates for four years here, just scraped off the registration year sticker and never got a second look from the cops.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Many states do not allow it at all. Some modify their plate in some way for parking tickets and the tolls... Our state has a bunch of plates that the lettering/numbers are peeling right off and while you are supposed to get a form and go to the police station to request a new license plate, many do not do anything at all or even know that you are supposed to...

One of the news had a segment of a guy in I think NYC that was going around and outing these vehicles- taking photos of the tape or modification they did to their plates and posting them on some social media. One guy kept putting a leaf over the end and edge of his plate. Claiming that it was not intentional and just seemed to be "happening" naturally. This guy would remove it and then the next day another leaf was in it's place...

Older article but it has been around for a number of years with the cat and mouse efforts.

One way to stop it is to make the plate obstruction fine more than the moving violation- speeding camera or red light cameras.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2890577

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    In my idiotic youth I drove a black Audi 4k with dark tint, matte black rims, and a tinted license plate cover. With the lights off, it was invisible at night. I may or may not have taken advantage of that to evade the police a time or several.

I was a flagger for a road construction crew one summer and a statey stopped and told me the cover was illegal and that I needed to remove it. Obviously I ignored them. Same cop drove by the next day and stopped again to ask how I felt about getting my car out of impound. I removed it in front of them.
    I had a 200 Quattro and thought it looked a lot better without the front plate.
    Trooper pulled a 180 and followed me into a friend's yard.
    Asked me where the front plate was, floor behind the seat officer, why isn't it on? No good reason officer.
    Put it on today, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I had a 200 Quattro and thought it looked a lot better without the front plate.
    Trooper pulled a 180 and followed me into a friend's yard.
    Asked me where the front plate was, floor behind the seat officer, why isn't it on? No good reason officer.
    Put it on today, bye.
    Some states do not have a front license plate. Know someone that put a vanity plate on for an organization that he was a part of. It looked a bit like an official plate but instead of the letters and numbers had the name of the group on it. He would go down to DC and park and the meter checkers would walk to the front of the vehicle record that name and issue a parking ticket more than once to him. He would contest the ticket as not matching his license plate and said he beat the tickets most all the time.

Now hold on. Why would he have to contest a ticket that doesn't have his plate on it? It's not connected to him or his car at all. How would he even contest it?

So 1980s
    watch out for snakes