Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend me a family trip

Starting a new job next month so I have the last week of march off and thinking of getting out of town for a few days. I like to ski and so does my 6yo (pizza down the blues) but my wife can’t right now and also has altitude issues above 5000ft. Looking for something relaxing for 3-4 days with hopefully a kid ski day and a dad ski day and some chill time. Would love to use my boyne big sky days but that’s too high for the wife unless we stay in Bozeman so probably a non starter. Driving from Seattle is a plus but open to cheap flights as well. Want to stay someplace with a kitchen and a hot tub. Don’t want to break the bank but also want something that not a dump.
    Current ideas
    Whistler looks like there are some off date cheap rentals and the kid skis free
    Leavenworth and mission: cheap lifts and easy to get to but not sure the best place to stay.
    Packwood and white town looks a bit dumpy so not sold.
    Visiting family in Reno lots of snow currently but not cheap flights or lifts and their kids will be in school so might be a bit chaotic.
    I found some cheap flights from abbotsford to Calgary which could be cool but not sure the total cost.
    Also open to non ski destinations that are family friendly.

Yeah, dude! Glad you got the job!

How far is too far for driving? If wife isn't skiing, what stuff do you want to do?

If skiing is important, CDA has Schweitzer and Silver (with waterpark) reasonably close by.

Red is right in Rossland and gives access to BC (about 6hr drive).

Calgary is a great gateway to Banff, but elevation in the park may cause issues for your wife. Gorgeous area. Calgary itself is just a normal city.

Before I started my new job, we went to Mexico as my wife wanted some sun.

You could try something like Wally's Hot Springs (David Walley's Resort) in Genoa/Minden, Nv. Has decent access to heavenly, nv or Kirkwood. But that's 4,600' which is also the same as Salt Lake City and Cottonwood Heights.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Mt Hood Timberline or Skibowl? Timberline is way cool to stay at. It is 6k feet though so maybe that’s too high? You could stay in Portland and drive up.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Big White or Sun Peaks are driveable family resorts from Seattle area. Stuff to do for non skiers, slope side lodging options, sub 5k bases I believe. Exchange rate is super favorable right now.
    I think Mission goes part time ops in the coming weeks.
    Bend /Bachelor always treats us well for spring skiing, plenty of great + cheap lodging options.

Whitefish is fun for the whole family. Perfectly groomed blues and some mags around to show you the fun stuff. Shopping in town for the wife (kitschy stuff). Restaurants can be hard to get into when busy. Town at 3000, base might be 5500.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Coeur D'Alene, Idaho?

Banff is really cool if you haven’t been. 4500 feet. Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs Hotel, Post Hotel.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's only Thursday through Monday, but Lost Trail is relatively low and there's a bunch of hot springs below the ski area on the Montana side. Missoula and Montana Snow Bowl are 90 minutes away,

edit: we used to do this loop: Lost Trail->Montana Snow Bowl/Missoula->Discovery Basin/Anaconda/Fairmont Hot Springs (too much Howard Johnsons influence...)
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 03-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Walla Walla. Ski at Bluewood with junior, wife and you have the walla walla wineries.

Port Angeles. Ski at Hurricane ridge with junior and the wife and family can tidepool, go to beaches, hike etc.

Whistler or Leavenworth seem like the best options, maybe Bend/Mt Bachelor? You say Leavenworth may not be the best place to stay.. I agree.. I find the Bavarian theme off-putting but there are some great rental houses outside of town. Still a great spot for a vacation.

You said you'd have to stay in Bozeman to do Big Sky as if that meant you couldn't do that but I've done that exact thing and it's totally doable especially for just a few days. Bonus is that you can take the Ski Bus so you don't even have to drive and you and your kid can just relax. It takes an hour-ish but you aren't driving so just take a nap. Second bonus is that your wife can hang in Bozeman and have stuff to do.

My advice is consistent for these types of threads: do whatever Buster suggests.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sun Peaks is a great place for a family ski trip.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

At Silver now with wife, 7yo and 6yo who all ski and a 2.5yo who doesn't. I believe throughout March an adult lift ticket, which is $50 midweek, gets you a free youth ticket (7+) and 6 and under always free. town is 3k or so, and the Waterpark is fun for something other than skiing. We went to CDA today to mix it up, it has a nice park, trails, more shops etc. There is a massage place in the village here for the wife while you and the kid ski, but really not a lot else. Really friendly vibe everywhere. The Silver trail map does not do the terrain and size of the place justice. Pleased with our family trip here and there is a ton of value for the price.

Currently leaning hard towards Whistler. Shorter drive than anything else other than Leavenworth, lots of non ski activities and looks like a ca book a condo for $800 or so for 3 nights. Might be able to borrow a buddy’s epic pass, he is my size, we both have beards but different eye colors will that fly?

Just wear sunglasses

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Some solid suggestions getting put out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Whitefish is fun for the whole family. Perfectly groomed blues and some mags around to show you the fun stuff. Shopping in town for the wife (kitschy stuff). Restaurants can be hard to get into when busy. Town at 3000, base might be 5500.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Base is 4484. Not that it matters..

Bumping as I start to plan for next year February break. We did Whistler this year and that’s the default again due to terrain, driving distance, cost (edge card+free kids pass) and village amenities.
    Home mountain is snoqualmie and I ski 20-25 days on my unlimited pass. I could probably do an icon base and a limited pass without running out of days but would miss some Alpy weekends.
    My son was skiing Blackcomb blues this year and should be ready for east blacks next year and my wife can do a few cruiser runs but not a ton. Am I missing anything by not branching out?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Bumping as I start to plan for next year February break. We did Whistler this year and that’s the default again due to terrain, driving distance, cost (edge card+free kids pass) and village amenities.
    Home mountain is snoqualmie and I ski 20-25 days on my unlimited pass. I could probably do an icon base and a limited pass without running out of days but would miss some Alpy weekends.
    My son was skiing Blackcomb blues this year and should be ready for east blacks next year and my wife can do a few cruiser runs but not a ton. Am I missing anything by not branching out?
    On the Snoqualmie pass, the 3 days at Brighton are great and it's an awesome family mountain. Easy flights and big city amenities in SLC. We did it for Feb break and my kids loved it.

Recommend me a family trip

SUN PEAKS. We just got back and it’s absolutely an annual mountain now. F W/B
    My nine yr old blossomed. Mrs Cascade ripped. I found challenging runs up top.
    Second largest Canadian resort. NO lines. Lodging at base is new with condos everywhere. Ikon resortClick image for larger version. 

Name:	730923920.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	489849
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 03-08-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Sun peaks is on the radar for sure, sounds like super kid friendly skiing but how is it for some dad ripper laps? I need to run the numbers but I think it probably comes out more expensive than WB especially when the 5 day kids ski free epic school kids is in the equation.
    If I take money out of the picture would you go there over Whistler? No lines is tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    SUN PEAKS. We just got back and it’s absolutely an annual mountain now. F W/B
    My nine yr old blossomed. Mrs Cascade ripped. I found challenging runs up top.
    Second largest Canadian resort. NO lines. Lodging at base is new with condos everywhere. Ikon resortClick image for larger version. 

Name:	730923920.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	489849

Sun peaks is fun. I'm not sure how the hell it could be pricier than WB, but you've got some dealios going so ok. It's tough recommending one over the other especially throwing in the dynamics of your ski family (of which I know nothing). Also ski quality can be totally different higher up at WB than at lower elevations.

Vert is not comparable SP is around what 2,800' , WB is 5,000'. I'm partial to SP cause I lived there for 5 years, but the skiing at WB can be amazing and it's so huge. Base your decision on who got the latest dump?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

From Seattle you cant go wrong for family trips to either Big White or Sun Peaks. Exchange rate, good lodging slopeside/village options, on Ikon/Indy passes, can’t imagine how either would cost Whistler $$$???