Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i thought this article was pretty good
    https://coloradosun.com/2023/03/13/c...ation-reports/
    that report and a month to do it
    not so much
    it seems like tysens uma/exum final report on the whitesnake slide a few seasons ago
    it sure seems like the do sponsers accident/fatality reports different from others
    which seems to speaks to the politics of money
    imo
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This is what a report should look like by a state agency even with anticipated litigation:

https://classic.avalanche.state.co.u...=685&accfm=inv
    Ideally? Yes.

However operations like PCPCs are under no obligation to share any information with anyone except the Coroner and Sheriff. And my guess would be that the UAC will accept all info offered but not press due to them not wanting to end up being called to testify in the event of litigation. Its a fine line for a forecast center to have to walk.

See comments here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...port-avalanche
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 04-12-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Ideally? Yes.

However operations like PCPCs are under no obligation to share any information with anyone except the Coroner and Sheriff. And my guess would be that the UAC will accept all info offered but not press due to them not wanting to end up being called to testify in the event of litigation. Its a fine line for a forecast center to have to walk.

See comments here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...port-avalanche
    It's my contention that given your scenario, they aren't doing their job. Everyone in every profession faces potential litigation every day.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Vibes. Seems to me the biggest missing info is how skier 4 ended up on the slope at the same time as skier 3.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Vibes and RIP

Park City tour operator sued by wife of skier killed in Uintas avalanche

I can't imagine it goes to a court room but interesting development on this tragedy. Lots of new info in the lawsuit. Guests weren't carrying probes and shovels?? UAC didn't (or wasn't allowed to) interview the other clients? His wife wasn't notified for 3 days?! I will be curious to follow the outcome.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 08-06-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post

Guests weren't carrying probes and shovels??
    Seems fucked to me. I've never done any heli, cat, or otherwise guided skiing, but this strikes me as a poor practice.

Actually quite common for heli and cat ops.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Seems fucked to me. I've never done any heli, cat, or otherwise guided skiing, but this strikes me as a poor practice.
    That is changing. A lot of heliski operations now require guests to ware a small day pack with a shovel and probe in it.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Weber Canyon Slide- Guided group 1 fatality

I dont know that beacon only is unusual for a cat operation.
    My limited experience is every heli op has provided avy pack w/ shovel, beacon, probe and required a basic training session before flying, cat ops have provided beacon only and touring guides have always checked my personal beacon and other gear - I’d attribute different cat protocols due to terrain and presence of tail guide

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    That is changing. A lot of heliski operations now require guests to ware a small day pack with a shovel and probe in it.
    Was surprised because all the operations I am personally familiar with require carrying shovels and probes. I ended up looking online at a few other ops and found that requiring only a beacon is common among Cat operations mostly. Heli operations seem to require all the gear more frequently.

Getting a bunch of rando clients to shovel and actually turn their beacons off in a rescue sounds like an impossible task, but you have to wonder about having those extra shovels digging.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Was surprised because all the operations I am personally familiar with require carrying shovels and probes. I ended up looking online at a few other ops and found that requiring only a beacon is common among Cat operations mostly. Heli operations seem to require all the gear more frequently.

Getting a bunch of rando clients to shovel and actually turn their beacons off in a rescue sounds like an impossible task, but you have to wonder about having those extra shovels digging.
    I've been out with one cat-ski op and two heli-ski ops and each time we were provided with a transceiver, probe, and shovel, and given a brief training session on how to use them. It wasn't much, but it wasn't nothing. This was all in Canada, so maybe things are different in the US. I haven't heard of any operations in Canada not doing avalanche safety training.

Having a burial with 5 clients and one guide with one shovel and probe between them all sounds fucked. I wouldn't ski with an operation like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Having a burial with 5 clients and one guide with one shovel and probe between them all sounds fucked. I wouldn't ski with an operation like that.
    It only makes sense.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"