Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    A friend, who is a very good fixed heel and free heel skier, loves his mindbender ti99, previous version. Tahoe skier. Charges. He uses them full time, even though he has other skis. He’s 5’8” 185-190 and on the 170’s. The shortest skis he’s had size childhood. No regrets from him on the sizing.

Lotsa good advice in here.

Some obs on the M6 vs. M102

For me: the 102 is a typical GS model that has crossed that boundary of being quick and nimble enough to not get pigeonholed into the pure Gs category.
    I ski big mountain gs skis and have to work harder in the steeps, tights, techy shots, etc.
    The 102 flexes uniquely such that you can work a long GS edge or a quick, short underfoot pivoting edge.
    It does have a top end but it's not uncomfortable and easily holds up in daily driving. If I wanna go faster, I have dedicated race boards for that.
    They slash back and forth pretty fast; it's not overly heavy and the tips/tails are lighter so they flick quick.
    At a 191, they're not as quick beneath 12"+ of pow tho.
    I could likely ski the 184 anywhere anytime, but the top end would suffer eventually, and that's a no no here.

The M6 I found to be more a combi of high speed capabilities but quicker in the short turns, obvi. Incredibly versatile but decidedly a directional charger with all mountain tendencies.
    For a little brother to the M102, I'd say it punches above it's weight. A strong advanced skier, with some mileage will improve on this board fosho.
    I'll be looking for a deal on some M6's this summer.

My vote is for the green top sheet, salomon qst 106 (haven’t skied the newest version). I’ve owned most skis on this category including a lot talked about here. Way better all around than og Cochise, which I like but are boring to carve and don’t float worth a shit, good firm condition comp ski. Way damper feel than the mindbenders. They especially come alive at speed. Best comparison is OG devastator but the 106 is better in pow and I love OG devastator. That said I hated the recommended mount point, too one dimensional. +1.5-2 and their money. Would make a great quiver of one pnw ski, and I say that as someone with around 30 skis mounted in the quiver.

I love how passionate everyone in here is about this quiver slot. It truly is the unicorn 1 ski quiver. I might also suggest the Katana 108, a little surfier than the mantra, charges and damp, although not as loose as the Corvus. Or as others have mentioned, the OG Cochise will get the job done for what you are seeking. I will never forget my first run on them just how damp they were, and the feeling of no speed limit on variable snow. Super surfy. Sold them and bought a pair of newer Cochise. Worst move of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Surfy was helpful with wordle today

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Lotsa good advice in here.

Some obs on the M6 vs. M102

For me: the 102 is a typical GS model that has crossed that boundary of being quick and nimble enough to not get pigeonholed into the pure Gs category.
    I ski big mountain gs skis and have to work harder in the steeps, tights, techy shots, etc.
    The 102 flexes uniquely such that you can work a long GS edge or a quick, short underfoot pivoting edge.
    It does have a top end but it's not uncomfortable and easily holds up in daily driving. If I wanna go faster, I have dedicated race boards for that.
    They slash back and forth pretty fast; it's not overly heavy and the tips/tails are lighter so they flick quick.
    At a 191, they're not as quick beneath 12"+ of pow tho.
    I could likely ski the 184 anywhere anytime, but the top end would suffer eventually, and that's a no no here.

The M6 I found to be more a combi of high speed capabilities but quicker in the short turns, obvi. Incredibly versatile but decidedly a directional charger with all mountain tendencies.
    For a little brother to the M102, I'd say it punches above it's weight. A strong advanced skier, with some mileage will improve on this board fosho.
    I'll be looking for a deal on some M6's this summer.
    Really good write. I really see the appeal of the M102 here being a nimble GS ski. Would you say the M6 is a better pure carver than the 102? I tend to feel like what I want the most out of my narrower option is to be able to carve a lot of different size turns on the firm steeps at Crystal, for example. I'm really enjoying the E104s I picked up as a DD this season but they aren't super inspiring on the groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Do you know what year your pair are and/or when they made the change?

Re mantra 102 177cm vs 184cm, seems like people tend to say they are more chargey than the M6 or possibly kendo, so the shorter length could be a balance there. More aggressive ski but in a shorter length to be able to manhandle

While I love all my 189-191cm powder skis, in more variable snow and hardpack on the second half of Pow days I sometimes feel like I’d probably be a better skier/more in control with shorter skis. Hence why I like my 182cm Quixotes in variable and lower tide days

That being said, I’ve also felt like the 184cm piste jibs don’t have enough tip in front of me or stiffness for my weight. Especially when I’m pushing the more out of shape weight range I can hit (210+ lbs)
    Then I’d base the decision on how much tight terrain you’ll ski at slower speeds.

The 102 is relatively easy to ski for it’s potential max performance. Especially at your weight. Demo both if possible.

You will not lack tip on the 102, it’s very traditional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you drop surfey from that, Head Monster 108 does everything a good skier asks on hardpack. It probably doesn't have speed limit, turns shitty snow for good skiing(like dh bike, every day is 20cm powday). 184cm is ok for bumps and great for everything else. What it's not good is going slow or being passenger. It also slides sideways if needed, but hey, tips should be downhill?

But now that I'm getting older, some modern bit less requiring hard pack skis are starting to raise interest. Have to start following this thread

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

While I think the M102 is a shredder, I don’t find it surfy in 3D snow. It skis pow like an OG Gotama. Maybe slightly better with the rocker lines. But it’s also stiffer with metal.

I mean, I can ski tight forest lines with it, but I have a reverse camber for that slot.

But chargy, damp, surfy hardpack ski?

Absofuckinglutely.

I just bought a pair of 184cm M6 Mantras to replace my M4s, hoping for that elusive combination of damp all mountain, shallow and firm snow versatility and lively short turns. After about 10 days on them, they seem to do everything well, and are exceeding expectations. I’d expect Kendos and M102s are variations on the theme, just depends on the range of conditions you want to prioritize, and your quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by ApexSkua View Post
    Really good write. I really see the appeal of the M102 here being a nimble GS ski. Would you say the M6 is a better pure carver than the 102? I tend to feel like what I want the most out of my narrower option is to be able to carve a lot of different size turns on the firm steeps at Crystal, for example. I'm really enjoying the E104s I picked up as a DD this season but they aren't super inspiring on the groomers.
    I'm ~5'9" and at my fighting weight of 210#. Ski the village daily...so my ski requirements may/not jibe with yours.

I have 30 days on the M102s but only about 4 days last year on the M6 while in suisseland and 95% groomers, a limited engagement.

The m6 is seriously carveable on a variety of firm snow types and the entire line seems to embrace the ability to vary turn radii at will.
    I consider this the new magic in the line...

Being a solid skier that bases interaction on intuition helps. If ya have to think about every turn prior, it will be a handful. If you and the ski roll in synch, they'll be there for everything.

These skis prefer a better skier. Period. That's not to say they are unapproachable, they just want to perform.

I'm not easily impressed with a ski these days but this line has jerked me back into the Volkl fold after a nasty separation during the AC 50 days.

Get on some, I think you'll dig 'em.

184 cm Mantra M6 will be perfect. I haven't skied the 102, but I don't think you need the extra width underfoot unless you're trying to fill the soft-snow quiver spot with the same ski (and it sounds like you're not). The 96mm of the M6 is plenty for what you describe. They charge in everything except fresh snow (and do surprisingly well in that, too), and they're very quick edge-to-edge and are incredibly fun in groomers and corn. You won't regret it.

I’m curious if the 24 Volk Revolt 96 will be in this category. Anybody see one/ski one?

Chargey, Damp, but Surfey Hardpack Ski?

Yeah just to clarify this ski slot is not a “one ski quiver” for me - I have 6 pairs of pow and variable snow skis

This is strictly for no-new-snow days. Yes spring stuff can get soft enough to be mashed potatoes, so they need to handle that, and corn, but that’s about it. For that reason I’m not interesting in anything 106-108mm underfoot. I do want these to be able to carve and be quick edge to edge.

We’ll see how the skis shake out at the demo day, should be the right conditions to test them

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Being a solid skier that bases interaction on intuition helps. If ya have to think about every turn prior, it will be a handful. If you and the ski roll in synch, they'll be there for everything.

These skis prefer a better skier. Period. That's not to say they are unapproachable, they just want to perform.
    Hell yeah. This sold me. Now to sell some of the current quiver to make space...

I seem to want the same features as the OP for a hard snow ski, and the Rustler 9 has been a great addition for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stance 102 if being used purely on hard pack. High level, high speed ski, with a good modern shape. Very good at going from a carving to slarving and back into a carve.

Yeah just to clarify this ski slot is not a “one ski quiver” for me - I have 6 pairs of pow and variable snow skis

This is strictly for no-new-snow days. Yes spring stuff can get soft enough to be mashed potatoes, so they need to handle that, and corn, but that’s about it. For that reason I’m not interesting in anything 106-108mm underfoot. I do want these to be able to carve and be quick edge to edge.

We’ll see how the skis shake out at the demo day, should be the right conditions to test them
    How I read your question. Hilarious peeps are recommending 106-110mm skis for this duty. esp the cat talking about the enforcer 110.
    Good luck in your quest man!

4FRNT MSP99? They feel like a slightly easier, slightly less chargy M6/M102

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    ON3P Wrenegade 102ti
    I'm shocked no one else has mentioned wrens. Maybe even narrower wrens like the old 96s. I mean, this is exactly the type of conditions and the quality of snow they were made for, right?

Masterblasters all the way, easy to initiate a carve, loads of energy out of the turn. Charges mank, variable and chunder. Pops off of anything and everything.

Ok, then def try the Enforcer 94. Rips hardpack and bumps and tail is plenty releasable in non deep snow

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    How I read your question. Hilarious peeps are recommending 106-110mm skis for this duty. esp the cat talking about the enforcer 110.
    Good luck in your quest man!

The word surfy is what caused all this because a hard pack ski isn’t surfy. I now understand it as OP wants a hard pack ski that is slarvy, not surfy as surfy would imply flotation.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    The word surfy is what caused all this because a hard pack ski isn’t surfy. I now understand it as OP wants a hard pack ski that is slarvy, not surfy as surfy would imply flotation.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yep, I was equally confused

Chargey, Damp, but Surfey Hardpack Ski?

OP- lmk if you are looking to sell the PJs

Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-15-2023 at 09:42 PM.