Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ikon Base Ski Pass, Which Resort?

I'll be booking a trip with the wife and I to a US mountain from the Ikon Base skis pass but having trouble narrowing it down. For those with experience, what do you recommend for great snow/terrain but also a good village/town so the wife can enjoy restaurants and what not? I think I'm narrowing it down to Utah or Colorado ski resorts but open to others as long as it's a direct flight from Toronto and not crazy far from the airport.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by fencejack; 03-11-2023 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Great suggestion. We've actually been there already and loved it. I had to update my posting to indicate a US destination. We only have 4-5 days for the trip.

If purely skiing Salt Lake can't be beat. If you want the ski town, Jackson, Sun Valley, or Aspen/Snowmass.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    If purely skiing Salt Lake can't be beat. If you want the ski town, Jackson, Sun Valley, or Aspen/Snowmass.
    Only SLC is on the Base pass from that list.

The Banff resorts, but LL and SV are a little farther from the town.

Steamboat?

When is this trip?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Only SLC is on the Base pass from that list.

The Banff resorts, but LL and SV are a little farther from the town.

Steamboat?
    How does steamboat compare to snowbird?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    When is this trip?
    This is for next season. It's early but I'm trying to plan a few trips so getting a head start so I can start eyeballing accommodations and flights.

Rutland VT. The epicenter of NA skiing.

bullshit. upstate > rutland any day… is McCauley Mountain on that there ikon pass?

Quote Originally Posted by fencejack View Post
    How does steamboat compare to snowbird?
    It doesn't. Not at all.

Steamboat = mostly beginner terrain, family-oriented resort, highly overpriced, and flat. Any steep runs are short and you will feel underwhelmed as you don't/won't know where you're going. All the shops and neat restaurants are 3 miles down the road, not anywhere near the resort. Bussing or shuttle easiest way to get back and forth. Parking is a pain in the ass.

Snowbird will give you max value for your turns. Better steeps, better terrain overall. Not nearly as expensive. Typically less crowds.

I live in Steamboat, fwiw. Not to diss my hometown, but it's not really the destination Ikon makes it out to be. The whole 'family' vibe of this place is getting to be too much. And timing is everything. Great if you hit deep pow in Jan/Feb, but Dec (and more so March) can be iffy/transitional snow, like it is right now. We sit at much lower elevation, so once springtime hits, it can be variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    It doesn't. Not at all.

Steamboat = mostly beginner terrain, family-oriented resort, highly overpriced, and flat. Any steep runs are short and you will feel underwhelmed as you don't/won't know where you're going. All the shops and neat restaurants are 3 miles down the road, not anywhere near the resort. Bussing or shuttle easiest way to get back and forth. Parking is a pain in the ass.

Snowbird will give you max value for your turns. Better steeps, better terrain overall. Not nearly as expensive. Typically less crowds.

I live in Steamboat, fwiw. Not to diss my hometown, but it's not really the destination Ikon makes it out to be. The whole 'family' vibe of this place is getting to be too much. And timing is everything. Great if you hit deep pow in Jan/Feb, but Dec (and more so March) can be iffy/transitional snow, like it is right now. We sit at much lower elevation, so once springtime hits, it can be variable.
    I appreciate the honest answer. I was getting the same sense about the terrain not too challenging as well. How is snowbird with respect to restaurants and shops? I figure SLC isn't too far and can also go there but would be convenient if at the base.

PM Rontele, he used to work for Alterra as a resort coordinator. He’s hooked many TGR members up with detailed travel plans and can sometimes get you discounts on lodging and meals.

Not Jackson.
    Nothing to do but ski.
    Everything is super expensive, from parking to sleeping and everything in between.
    Locals are abrasive and terrain is not for the weak.
    Far from everywhere and cold as fuckall.

Bet.

I appreciate the honest answer. I was getting the same sense about the terrain not too challenging as well. How is snowbird with respect to restaurants and shops? I figure SLC isn't too far and can also go there but would be convenient if at the base.
    I mentioned Steamboat because you mentioned shops/village and the town is much more accessible from the mountain than SLC and Snowbird. On the Base Ikon, there really isn't much, but I don't know the Colorado resorts well.

Sun Peaks in BC has a village, but it's pretty small compared to a Whistler type place and it's in the boonies.

Revelstoke has the town right there, but small and logging town vibe versus resort town.

Schweitzer has Sandpoint close which is a resort town, though geared more towards the summer season.

With the Base pass there's not a ton of options for what you seem to be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    PM Rontele, he used to work for Alterra as a resort coordinator. He’s hooked many TGR members up with detailed travel plans and can sometimes get you discounts on lodging and meals.
    Thanks for the contact. I'll reach out to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Not Jackson.
    Nothing to do but ski.
    Everything is super expensive, from parking to sleeping and everything in between.
    Locals are abrasive and terrain is not for the weak.
    Far from everywhere and cold as fuckall.

Bet.
    I've been to Jackson before and I liked it. Hoping to try something new but worst case I can always go back.

Mammoth

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I mentioned Steamboat because you mentioned shops/village and the town is much more accessible from the mountain than SLC and Snowbird. On the Base Ikon, there really isn't much, but I don't know the Colorado resorts well.

Sun Peaks in BC has a village, but it's pretty small compared to a Whistler type place and it's in the boonies.

Revelstoke has the town right there, but small and logging town vibe versus resort town.

Schweitzer has Sandpoint close which is a resort town, though geared more towards the summer season.

With the Base pass there's not a ton of options for what you seem to be looking for.
    I'm starting to realize your last point. You see a huge list of resorts and figure one of them would be a clear winner. I was hoping I could find something on the base without have to spend more to upgrade.

I'm starting to realize your last point. You see a huge list of resorts and figure one of them would be a clear winner. I was hoping I could find something on the base without have to spend more to upgrade.
    The pass cost difference is likely to be a drop in the bucket compared to all the other costs you're going to incur on a trip like you're talking about...

A condo at the Copper base would be a decent vacation.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There isn't much at the base of Snowbird. If you stay in SLC then restaurants and shops won't be a problem. Any places in SLC will take about 35-45 minutes drive to Snowbird.

If you upgrade and want to spend das moola, then deer Valley could be a viable option. Certainly not as strong terrain as Jackson or the bird, but good food, customer service, and shops for the missus.

If more weighted to terrain and greater snowfall, then go to the bird. Stay in SLC/ cottonwood heights for driving access to restaurants and shops, but realize SLC ain't quebec city or Montreal. Stay at the bird to avoid waiting in a line full of cars for hours on a powder day while udot controls the road.

I'm no Utah expert, though I lived there for a few years.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I would seriously think about getting at least a Base+ pass. Easy math: Base+ is $220 more than the Base. 1 day of skiing at Jackson = $210-ish. That gives you 4 more for $10.

Danno's suggestion for Copper is a good one. We used to go there every year when my kids were around. Some very good (not great) terrain and ticks all your other boxes.

Taos and Santa Fe.
    dirtbag, not a dentist