Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    If you upgrade and want to spend das moola, then deer Valley could be a viable option. Certainly not as strong terrain as Jackson or the bird, but good food, customer service, and shops for the missus.

If more weighted to terrain and greater snowfall, then go to the bird. Stay in SLC/ cottonwood heights for driving access to restaurants and shops, but realize SLC ain't quebec city or Montreal. Stay at the bird to avoid waiting in a line full of cars for hours on a powder day while udot controls the road.

I'm no Utah expert, though I lived there for a few years.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    The Snowbird website shows a number of restaurant options but the map doesn't really seem to show a village at all.. I assume these are just restaurants in the hotels and on hill? Is there anything at all at the base one could call a village to just walk around in? I'm okay with it being small and then take a trip to SLC for other stuff.

I took a look at Deer and the accommodations do seem pricey. Anyone have suggestions what area to stay there that's still walkable to chair lift? I can take another scan to see if anything is within our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I would seriously think about getting at least a Base+ pass. Easy math: Base+ is $220 more than the Base. 1 day of skiing at Jackson = $210-ish. That gives you 4 more for $10.

Danno's suggestion for Copper is a good one. We used to go there every year when my kids were around. Some very good (not great) terrain and ticks all your other boxes.
    On the Colorado side Copper was up on my list as it seemed to tick all my boxes for the most part, like you said. It'll be on my short. Any thoughts on Winter Park? I see it get mentioned once in a while.

I ski Winter Park all the time. The base area isn't as village-y as Copper, and there's not as much high alpine terrain, but the town's ok, some decent places to eat and walk around, there are trees to ski in for days, a good progression of beginner and intermediate terrain, lots of bumps. It's a little more isolated than Copper, there's just the resort and the town, whereas Copper allows you to easily check out the towns of Frisco, Breck, Vail, go outlet shopping, etc. But it's not a bad choice.

To be honest, though, all of the resorts within 3 hours of Denver get overrun on weekends.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by fencejack View Post
    This is for next season. It's early but I'm trying to plan a few trips so getting a head start so I can start eyeballing accommodations and flights.
    BTW, the reason I asked when wasn't just about this season vs next season, it was related to the time of year. See Jax's comments re Steamboat. I wouldn't plan a big vacation to Steamboat in March, unless I was prepared for the fact that I might get iffy/spring conditions.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Snowbird website shows a number of restaurant options but the map doesn't really seem to show a village at all.. I assume these are just restaurants in the hotels and on hill? Is there anything at all at the base one could call a village to just walk around in? I'm okay with it being small and then take a trip to SLC for other stuff.
    No real village but some of the places are in a central area, like the tram dock. There’s a few restaurants at the Cliff, can always scoot up to Alta as well on the bus for a change of scenery. Grab some food staples from the valley before you head up. Probably your best option that’s been listed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    <snip>
    To be honest, though, all of the resorts within 3 hours of Denver get overrun on weekends.
    He's not kidding on this. If you can totally avoid the weekend, Front Range vacation might be tolerable...

And not to put too fine a point on it - both Copper's and Winter Park's "villages" suck - they are just fake shit put in to entertain the tourists. So actually, perhaps they will be good for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Taos and Santa Fe.
    Seems like a dice roll for dependable snowpack anymore. YMMV.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    It doesn't. Not at all.

Steamboat = mostly beginner terrain, family-oriented resort, highly overpriced, and flat. Any steep runs are short and you will feel underwhelmed as you don't/won't know where you're going. All the shops and neat restaurants are 3 miles down the road, not anywhere near the resort. Bussing or shuttle easiest way to get back and forth. Parking is a pain in the ass.

Snowbird will give you max value for your turns. Better steeps, better terrain overall. Not nearly as expensive. Typically less crowds.

I live in Steamboat, fwiw. Not to diss my hometown, but it's not really the destination Ikon makes it out to be. The whole 'family' vibe of this place is getting to be too much. And timing is everything. Great if you hit deep pow in Jan/Feb, but Dec (and more so March) can be iffy/transitional snow, like it is right now. We sit at much lower elevation, so once springtime hits, it can be variable.
    Well now, it kind of depends. For a ton of people Steamboat is an ideal resort. Tons of blue and approachable black terrain, very family and socialization friendly, etc etc.

Everyone once in a while I'm reminded that those of us who like to ski steep technical terrain, eat lunch on the lifts, and go there for the turns and not the scene are in the very small minority. So for the vast majority, Steamboat is awesome.

And for what it's worth, I ski the Boat probably 10 days a year and am of the steel-loving skier type - and I very much enjoy Steamboat. Just got back from there last night.

And if you want to ski trees fast on terrain that gets technical with speed, it's one of the best places to ski in North America. Same for bumps. There is steep stuff, it's just short and takes a while to lap. And if you like east coast ice bump skiing, it's among the best in the country if you head over to Pony Express. Ha.
    Last edited by EWG; 03-15-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Neither EWG nor Jax are wrong about Steamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    He's not kidding on this. If you can totally avoid the weekend, Front Range vacation might be tolerable...

And not to put too fine a point on it - both Copper's and Winter Park's "villages" suck - they are just fake shit put in to entertain the tourists. So actually, perhaps they will be good for your needs.
    yep. But Copper's fake village is bigger and a little more village-y than WP.

Winter Park has a village?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    It does, or it tries to; built it up quite a bit in the last 15 years

Ikon Base Ski Pass, Which Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    That 300 yard long strip with pizza, t-shirts and a Starbucks? Yes!

Exactly

How does steamboat compare to snowbird?
    i laughed

copper or anywhere else in Colorado is what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ikonfreewasatch View Post
    i laughed

copper or anywhere else in Colorado is what you are looking for.
    ^^ At this point you gotta come to Utah to use your ikon pass just to say a big kiss my ass to this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    No real village but some of the places are in a central area, like the tram dock. There’s a few restaurants at the Cliff, can always scoot up to Alta as well on the bus for a change of scenery. Grab some food staples from the valley before you head up. Probably your best option that’s been listed so far.
    So are all the restaurants I see on their site just in the buildings at the base? Not really any "village" to walk through?

I ski Winter Park all the time. The base area isn't as village-y as Copper, and there's not as much high alpine terrain, but the town's ok, some decent places to eat and walk around, there are trees to ski in for days, a good progression of beginner and intermediate terrain, lots of bumps. It's a little more isolated than Copper, there's just the resort and the town, whereas Copper allows you to easily check out the towns of Frisco, Breck, Vail, go outlet shopping, etc. But it's not a bad choice.

So far it seems like Copper is my choice in Colorado and snowbird in Utah on the base pass. I actually plan to book my trip Monday to Friday to avoid weekend chaos.

So are all the restaurants I see on their site just in the buildings at the base? Not really any "village" to walk through?
    Yep

BTW, the reason I asked when wasn't just about this season vs next season, it was related to the time of year. See Jax's comments re Steamboat. I wouldn't plan a big vacation to Steamboat in March, unless I was prepared for the fact that I might get iffy/spring conditions.
    Ah OK. I haven't figured out exact dates but I'm guessing February, maybe early March.

Steamboat is probably your best choice. The town is decent. And relatively cheap for a ski town. Nomadnessrentals has some sweet places they own or manage and they were great. Steamboat is flat though, full of gapers, and the tree skiing isn’t that great unless you completely blow at skiing. It’s pretty much like skiing at a western okemo.

"Steamboat, it's pretty much like Western Okemo" is the best slogan ever.

If you value the skiing at all Utah is a no brainer based on your CO choices...

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    If you value the skiing at all Utah is a no brainer based on your CO choices...
    As a Colorado resident, I can't argue that this is the right answer. We don't live here because the skiing is better.

As a Colorado resident, I can't argue that this is the right answer. We don't live here because the skiing is better.
    Name:  hesright.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  24.5 KB

Some of us didn't even really have skiing on the radar when we moved here.

But vee do not have zee villages he seeks.

Except for maybe Park City...
    Montani Semper Liberi