Meals suggestions

Desert camping, pack rafting so volume and packaging is issue. Limited water. Do not want to go freeze dried. Any good ideas out there.
    off your knees Louie

How many days

This trip is 8 days but we have 4 people so each person is doing 2 dinners. Would like to come up with some ideas that don't involve boiling water. Am open to precooking but do not know what reheats well in a pot or can heat in boiling water and reuse the water.

oof 8 days is a lot of food

recommend first day be a burrito or sandwich that can be skillet heated.
    If it will be more packraft than hike then throw a folded pizza or calzone in there. can also vacpac a stew, etc. if weight isn't as much an issue at the start
    if you wanna get weird we've made "backpacking sushi" bag tuna, cucumber, nori strips, wasabi, soy sauce...
    could also do a charcuterie, travels well, tastes good, high calorie
    tasty bites are a good base, can either boil in pouch or in pot.

you are packrafting so should have water no?
    all of our packraft/bikepack meals are based around just adding boiling water to homebrew instant meals - but we travel rather light
    e.g., instant mashed potatoes, protein (bacon crumbles, freeze dried something or other, or cut up meat stick), freeze dried veggies for flavor, spices
    chocolate something for dessert

standard breakfast is 2 packs instant grits, bacon crumbles, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, olive oil ~ 350-400 calories, pour in water drink half a cup of coffee and breakfast is ready.
    lunch = bars, nuts, dried fruit, meat stick/jerky

8 days is a long time. If you can't cache ahead of time, MRE's along with dry sausages, fruit, hard cheeses, and tequila.

Light, not bulky, not freeze dried, and no boiling water? Enjoy your gus and granola bars. Otherwise, wendigo seems to have you covered.

Don't know how many calories per day you need, never done rafting.

But you should aim for 5 calories per gram, which means all dehydrated, and a fair amount of fat, fat is 9 calories per gram, carbs and protein 4 calories per gram.

If you have to take water with you, first day can be food with high water content, because this will count towards your water needs.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Meals suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Light, not bulky, not freeze dried, and no boiling water? Enjoy your gus and granola bars. Otherwise, wendigo seems to have you covered.
    Hold on, there’s always…. (Ominous music)…. Cold Soaking!!! But the bottle is bulky! Right, that’s why you cold soak ALL the meals to make up for it. No pot needed. Or throw down on the vargo BOT. Done.

Don’t forget the crotch pot:

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/the-crotch-pot

Lots of ways to save fuel without going extreme (like use a DIY coozie and cut the heat, put it in the coozie and let it rehydrate) but anyway...

Some good recipes, especially the Skurka Beanz!!! !!

https://andrewskurka.com/tag/backpacking-meal-recipes/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I went on a trip with a very accomplished cook (but totally average skier) on this board and he pre-cooked all our dinners and vacuumed sealed them. Then froze them. All we had to do is reheat them and it was fucking AMAZING to have delicious stews and such in the middle of nowhere every night after a log day when no one wanted to cook. Highly recommend it.

Pre-cooking can work great, particularly for raft trips, but the meals often aren't light. Also if you do it wrong you can end up eating bags of chicken mush. Or beef mush. Or mush mush.

I think i will smoke some fish and do a Mac and cheese one night and rice fish other night. Just need two dinners for 4 people. Had to have a fire pan so bought a 12" round cake pan. I will try and reheat the food in that. Try and put some extra oil in to help with the reheat. Lunches for me are easy I can get by with pbj and snicker bar each day. Breakfast can make do with oatmeal. Kind of hard to settle out the silt to filter water with only a small container. I like the sushi idea, maybe make the rice in advance, and serve with miso soup for something hot. That may require bringing the sushi mat. Thankfully all floating so weight not a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I went on a trip with a very accomplished cook (but totally average skier) on this board and he pre-cooked all our dinners and vacuumed sealed them. Then froze them. All we had to do is reheat them and it was fucking AMAZING to have delicious stews and such in the middle of nowhere every night after a log day when no one wanted to cook. Highly recommend it.
    This is what I was going to say. BFD didn't say it had to be light. Vacuum sealed stews and chili and whatever, you can heat in water without dirtying the water, heck you can just let it defrost and heat in a pan and use no water.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Packers raft

https://www.loveinflatables.com/love...raft_p136.html

You could always hunt, kill, gut, clean and cook something on your way.

For a standard field exercise you should budget 2000 calories per person per day. Your water option is to carry one of the better ceramic filters x 2.

Even tho you are on the water not drinking enough will impact your bodies ability to absorb nutrition.

Oar do it as a weight loss trip complete with bad judgement and possible getting lost.

Looking forward to TR with pics.

Just out of curiosity how many river miles you plan on doing?
    watch out for snakes

BFD didn't say it had to be light, but packrafts are tough to fit coolers into.

On water, bring some alum (it dissolves best in hot water). It'll settle the sediment from your water so you can filter western river water without clogging up your filters.

Icemule coolers would be best for a pack raft but the pack rafts are not made to carry much weight.

Basically its a modified truck inner toob with a floor. They do not paddle like a kayak or even an IK.
    watch out for snakes

Have you tried rectal ozone?

Gwynneth says it’s the best ever