Mt Hayden Backcountry Lodge

Mount Hayden Backcountry Lodge is a new(ish) catered lodge near Ouray. https://haydenbackcountry.com/

I just booked a trip for next weekend. Has anybody been? Looks like the zone has a fair number of skiing options - does anyone have beta on United States Mountain/Chicago Peak/the surrounding area?

Coworker just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Sounded pretty stoked on place. Avy danger was at high most the time he was there so didn't get to ski anything big. Two big pulses of moisture going to hit the SJs between now and then. Should be great skiing.

Yeah looks like there is a 1-2k' shot of tree skiing near the lodge that should allow for lower-angle turns if stability doesn't allow for steeper options.

The wife, dog and I headed to Ouray next weekend. It seems that there will be some weather coming in. So much for fishing the Uncompahgre. I hope to get a day in at Silverton.

I love that that hut charges $15 for a 5 minute shower.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Looks like a cool place.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've heard good things from a few friends who stayed there earlier this season. They were there during a large cycle and had some very intermediate skiers in their group so they never pushed out of the tree zone near the hut. But based on the pictures I saw and looking at the area on Caltopo there is some killer big time skiing right nearby. A bit strange that they charge for a shower... when that ought to just be part of the cost, but I understand the desire to conserve hot water and energy.

Post pics after your trip!

Had a great trip to Mt. Hayden Backcountry Lodge this past weekend. We arrived on Friday after a decent Thursday storm. The approach is about 4 miles, a little over 2k vert - don't miss the turn off the mining road. The lodge has a few different sleeping spaces - mostly semi-private bunk space though there are a couple of rooms with doors. Eric, the owner/resident hut keeper/chef is super knowledgeable about skiing and conditions in the area - he's skiing just about every day. Solid chef too - we had pork shoulder, beef fillet, curry, pancakes, eggs/potatoes/bacon - the food was great all around. Skiing was solid too - the lodge sits near a few intersecting drainages and you can pretty much have your pick of aspect and steepness. We had some great sunny days that let us get into the alpine, though we kept things somewhat moderate after seeing a fair amount of activity (and there was a partial burial off of 550 just over the next ridge). The sun started to work on the snow over successive days and we got off of solar aspects and onto northerly aspects. Just as we were leaving the next pulse of moisture was heading into the San Juans. Overall, highly recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230317_181545873.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	452661

Name:	PXL_20230318_150318051.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	452662

Name:	PXL_20230318_174236375.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	452663

Name:	PXL_20230318_193431681.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	797.3 KB 
ID:	452664

Name:	PXL_20230318_204619415.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	855.7 KB 
ID:	452665

Name:	PXL_20230319_205121930.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	452666

Name:	PXL_20230320_135301695.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	977.0 KB 
ID:	452667

That looks incredible!

You really can't beat the San Juans for aesthetic pow ski lines and natural beauty imo. The snowpack is a curse and a blessing in some ways.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

FKNA!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy