Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Fest 2023

Jazz Fest 2023

Anyone going? Looks like I am going for the first weekend. Any tips for the festival or New Orleans in general are welcome. I've been to NOLA a few times, but it's been at least a decade, and I've never been to Jazz Fest.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've never been but it sounds amazing, have a blast. Ridiculous amount of music: https://www.nojazzfest.com/music/

Jealous. On my list. Looking forward to the info and TR’s this thread might produce as well.

Heading to NOLA on 5/1-5/5. Seeing Goose at the Daze Between Festival. Also trying to catch the Daze Between Band at Tipitinas on 5/3.
    is this thing on?

Danno, hit me up for any specific recs. this will be my dozenth fest. going second weekend. first weekend should be awesome and without the dead influx.

the fest is fantastic but the nights are equally fun.
    jazzfestgrids.com is the guide for non-fest music and the biggest reason to go.

blue bikes are great for getting around but can be a little cutthroat for rollin post-fest.
    a dedicated rental bike is best to tease out the serendipitous moments that keep me coming back year after year.
    bumps are for poor people

Yeah, I saw that Dead&Co were playing 2nd weekend. Part of me was bummed to miss that, and part of me was glad to not have the influx of hippies to deal with!

Tye1on gave me that grids page already. As for specific recs, if there are any bands at the festival that are awesome but not well known outside of NOLA, that would be good to know. Also, if there are any favorite food booths, or favorite restaurants that aren't one of the well known ones, that's the kind of info that would be great too.

But I know that I can also totally wing it without much info and still have a kick ass time.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

See if Cha Wa is playing when you’re there. They’re pretty awesome. Of course Tab Benoit, Anders Osborne, Dumpstaphunk and anything Nevilles/Meters.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    jazzfestgrids.com is the guide for non-fest music
    Holy shit, all this plus the main festival?? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They play that Friday and Sunday that you’re there, check their site. Definitely recommend you check them out Friday if possible

FKNA, that has me psyched! Thanks!

I’ve been dying to see those guys but they’ve barely been touring since the pandemic. Enjoy!

editz; that's such a great song ^^, just blasted it (yet) again
    Last edited by ötzi; 03-09-2023 at 10:57 PM.

There is so much music going on. I'm trying to figure out what I wanna see.

Has anyone seen Joe Marcinek's Dead Funk Summit? Seems like an allstar band put together. I only really recognize Jennifer Hartswick and George Porter Jr from this lineup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Funk Summit.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	451237
    is this thing on?

Nikki and Terrence together should be rad. i saw it last year and no horns and single drummer was a little sleepy.

i'd choose Dragon Smoke at Tips and then try to sneak into Toulouse to take a peak after if i was there Tues.
    bumps are for poor people

We've already got tickets to the Daze Between Fest at the Faubourg Brewery for Tuesday/Wed. Was going to try to catch some music afterwards. Really would like to see the Daze Between Band at Tips late night on Wed. If you guys know anyone with a couple extra tickets I'd take them.. Might be a really hard ticket to get.
    is this thing on?

This is an amazing bunch of folks who support local up and coming musicians through a grant program. Tickets for the Patry [not a typo] went on sale today, surprised they didn't sell out. Threadhead Thursday is money. Ironically, this 'group' met on the Jazz Fest message board, aka 'thread' heads...https://www.thcfnola.org/events/
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Tye1on gave me that grids page already. As for specific recs, if there are any bands at the festival that are awesome but not well known outside of NOLA, that would be good to know.
    Erica Falls. NOLA born and raised. She was lead singer for Galactic for several years before going solo

https://www.ericafalls.com/about

She’s playing at JazzFest 4/28

Here is the actual schedule in PDF form: https://www.nojazzfest.com/downloads...7day-cubes.pdf

If anyone knows any of the artists from the first weekend (first 3 pages of the pdf) that I shouldn't miss, let me know!

Here is the actual schedule in PDF form: https://www.nojazzfest.com/downloads...7day-cubes.pdf

If anyone knows any of the artists from the first weekend (first 3 pages of the pdf) that I shouldn't miss, let me know!
    my votes for evening shows, but I think the fun in these events is just standing in front of a stage and see who comes on. walking around and checking out each crowd and venue is the big appeal.

Fri: Wu Tang
    Sat: Higher Heights
    Sun: Marcus King

I think I just found a bucket list addition. Not his year, but holy music overload. Plug me in please.
    This one must be a high point this year:
    Name:  BD40E9D8-6AB4-4D3C-AF20-34229890CB8D.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  139.5 KB

Friday
    Gino Delafose
    Charlie Musselwhite (two shows)
    Omari Neville
    Wu Tang
    Robert Plant & Allison Krause
    Lizzo if that’s your thang

Saturday
    Charmaine Neville
    Sonny Landreth
    Taj Mahal
    Christone Ingram

Sunday
    Ivan Neville/ Dumpstafunk
    Cha Wa
    Cyril Neville
    Kenny Neal
    The Iguanas
    Gary Clark Jr
    Big Chief Monk Boudreaux
    Tedeschi/Trucks
    Marcus King
    Los Lobos

Also check out Tipitinas https://tipitinas.com/calendar/ for that weekend - Galactic, Moe, KDTU

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I think I just found a bucket list addition. Not his year, but holy music overload. Plug me in please.
    This one must be a high point this year:
    Name:  BD40E9D8-6AB4-4D3C-AF20-34229890CB8D.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  139.5 KB
    So that's where he is.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

We went a few years ago before COVID and this thread has me jealous. For non-music stuff I would recommend a bike tour or rent bikes, I had only been to NOLA once before and didn't realize how fun it is to bike around the French Quarter. We did one that was famous New Orleans cocktails so we rode around from bar to bar getting a history lesson. I was going to recommend eating at Upperline but a google search says they closed during the pandemic and aren't reopening, quel dommage. The redfish there was the best, most perfectly cooked fish I've ever eaten.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Pics or it didn’t happen!