Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Homeless in Eagle/Vail for 15 hours

Wife has granted a 48 hour pass, so flying into EGE next Thurs afternoon to ski Vail on Fri. But my buddies are driving out from Golden early Fri AM. I probably should just secure solo lodging for one night...locally the Eagle River Lodge @ $197 and Bunkhouse @ $122 seem to be the budget options. What am I missing?

Alternatively, I am considering just going homeless overnight and will have a rental car as "shelter". Find some places to hang out as late as possible indoors (Starbucks, library, restaurant, bar, whatever) maybe this leaves me in the car midnight to 5 or 6 AM. Where would you try and park on this plan? EGE parking looks to be $8 a day. Also, I don't know if EGE is 24/7 where I could have access to bathrooms, etc. I am probably way to old for this plan, but also I like an adventure.
    I am confident the maggotverse will have some creative ideas about where this odyssey could go.

pfftt… hotel? living with a woman has made you soft. that car is plenty good enough for you, and you know it.

fact.

Familiarize yourself with snow shelters. Bring a tarp and a sleeping bag.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I found a guy sleeping in a port-a-john in Kingman last week. I think that would be a rock bottom sort of moment for me personally but each his own I guess. I'd rather pay out 122 bucks to not sleep in the cold but again, that's just me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

That's a lot of money to spend, to sleep in a car. What is the flight + car rental + lift ticket running you?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    That's a lot of money to spend, to sleep in a car. What is the flight + car rental + lift ticket running you?
    That's what I was thinking. I may have done something like this in my college years, but as a married adult, NFW.

All valid points, the dude camping in the port-a-potty is next level.

One of my other hobbies is the miles/points game...so the ORD-EGE-ORD portion of the festivities is about $30 cash out of pocket. Thurs-Sat on the rental car is $90. Guess the Vail "Buddy Ticket" price is like $165 or something, but not sure if that's all in or taxes/fees, etc on top.

this ain’t your college days, cars are way comfier now. heated leather power adjuster seats be all kinds o comfy…

fact.

If you go the car route look for parking garages, condos or maybe even a hospital to park. I have no specific information on Vail. Personally I would likely pony up for a hotel so I could enjoy the skiing more

I will still sleep in a car, just not to pinch a penny.

If you cannot afford the motel, then yeah id look for a condo's underground parking garage.

If you can afford the motel, but just want to relive your younger dirtbag days, youre a fucking idiot who will be cursing yourself when its too cold to sleep and then your trip gets ruined by a crick in your neck/back/hip/knee/ankle caused by sleeping in the drivers seat of the compact rental car you also cheaped out on.

Weird that you chose the ritziest resort in the country to try and dirtbag when you had your choice of anywhere.

Theres a pod hotel in Avon. Chapel square. Bus to Beaver Creek is super easy. I think it is pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Theres a pod hotel in Avon. Chapel square. Bus to Beaver Creek is super easy. I think it is pretty reasonable.
    Last I spoke with the owner, it was rented to J-1's long term. Worth a call though.

If you want to dirtbag for a night it's pretty easy to do just about anywhere.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Unfortunately your timing sucks- i usually have a spare bedroom available but i rented the place out while i'm in the tetons this week. Best i can do- PM me if you need overnight free parking in Avon. I sleep in my car sometimes when my condo rents out at stupid rates it's not so bad with a decent sleeping bag- don't listen to these beaters^^^^ they've just gotten soft

EGE is technically closed 12am-4am but i've seen people sleeping overnight when flight cancellations get crazy. VTC is free after 3pm but you have to leave before 4am to avoid getting charged.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If you cannot afford the motel, then yeah id look for a condo's underground parking garage.

If you can afford the motel, but just want to relive your younger dirtbag days, youre a fucking idiot who will be cursing yourself when its too cold to sleep and then your trip gets ruined by a crick in your neck/back/hip/knee/ankle caused by sleeping in the drivers seat of the compact rental car you also cheaped out on.

Weird that you chose the ritziest resort in the country to try and dirtbag when you had your choice of anywhere.
    There is no question I'm a fucking idiot.

Grand Cherokee at $90 seemed like a steal...car joint subsequently called me up and there was a listing SNAFU with Expedia. I'm actually in a Polestar...I kept it cause hey, "electric" and I've not driven one.

I never choose Epic, but some buddies are heading out and basically free air to EGE was kind of hard to turn down. I'll throw my lot in with them on lodging the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    VTC is free after 3pm but you have to leave before 4am to avoid getting charged.
    If you talk to an attendant in the morning before you leave you can tell them that you were wasted last night and left the car overnight and they will comp the overnight parking charge.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Go sleep at a Hospital. Safe, clean, warm... Not uncommon for friends/family of patients to be there and sleeping in the lounges awaiting outcomes. The hospital chapel is even better for sleeping on the pews and quiet. No one hassles you for a single night stay. Clean bathrooms and cheap Cafeteria food. I have slept in Hospitals many times on dirtbag cross-country roadtrips. But, not since Covid… that may have changed things.

3 easy steps:

1. "Plan" to sleep in car.
    2. Hole up in bar until closing to limit exposure. Justify $150 bar tab by hotel savings.
    3. At some point, justify $400 hotel because it's cheaper than a DUI.

works every time.

Maybe just head straight to the bar and go cougar hunting? You may have to keep a naughty Nanna happy for an hour or two but you'll be warm at least.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    I'm actually in a Polestar
    I'll never forget the night I spent in a polestar. Her name was Cinnamon and we stayed in touch for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    I'll never forget the night I spent in a polestar. Her name was Cinnamon and we stayed in touch for a while.
    Pure gold.

Hit the gay bars man, expand your horizons.

That made me laugh! You do have to wonder who green lighted that branding for the North American market.

Tell us more please
    dirtbag, not a dentist

pack a sleeping bag. Put on your base layer inside the airport just before they kick you out (so that layer is room temp not parking lot temp).
    Stay in Eagle vs. driving up to Vail. EGE is quite a bit lower in elevation than Vail, so likely warmer. If you are worried about getting booted from the EGE parking lot because of "no camping" there is a Costco a mile up the road from EGE. Should be able to crash there.