Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Big guy touring set-up

So, after years and years of resort skiing, it's time to move into the BC and I'm starting to try and figure out what to look for. I currently have ON3P Jeronimo's (186), Attack 16 bindings and Mach1 130 boots. Used to ski Surface New Life (194), but didn't get enough regular use to stay in rotation. I live in Calgary and there are all kinds of touring options out here and definitely excited to start exploring out here more.

I'm a big guy (6'4, 250lbs), so wondering what I should be aiming for with length, width, weight, etc? I figure at my size, a day of touring is probably going to make more of a difference in weight than my gear, but also don't want unnecessary weight if I don't need it. This will be a dedicated touring set up, so plan on going with tech bindings and not interested in frame bindings/Shift/etc. Obviously I'll get fitted for boots and go with whatever fits best.

So far, I've kind of had my eye on a few options, but definitely not closed to any particular brands:
    - Blizzard Hustle 11 (188; heavy?)
    - Armada ARV 116 JJ UL (192? maybe too wide?)
    - DB Impulse or Helios Carbon (186/185; Impulse look relatively heavy)
    - Fischer Hannibal 106 Carbon (185)
    - Dynafit Free 107 (188)
    - Movement Go 112 (186)
    - ???

Definitely appreciate any knowledge/insight/help to direct point me in the right direction!

Do you know what boot youíll be using yet? That makes a big difference on what ski you should be on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not totally sure, but looking at things like the Zero G Tour, Scott Cosmos, Fischer Transalp, Dynafit Radical or Hoji. All depends on what fits.

I'd guess you'll get a beef(ish) boot since you're in 130 resort boots. I'd say get something in the 105-115 range for width, look at 184-190.
    Check out the Moment Wildcat 108 Tour and Deathwish Tour (112 waist). Both come in 184 an 190. They will hold up to your weight and own't fold like a lot of touring skis, but come in around 1700-1850g, which is a really good weight class for a new all-around touring ski.

Not quite as big as you but still in at a solid 225lb. Personally, I would say don't bother looking at Armadas or any of the other softer skis. Let's just say that in 3D snow you can taco them to the point that they are unskiable. Punchy or inconsistent snow will be a big problem an any of the softer skis that work well for the guys weighing in at a buck fiddy. Personally, at you height and weight I would look seriously at skis like a volkl v-werks katana in a 191. Works great in just about any conditions and won't fold up on you. You also won't be able to dive the tips as readily as some of the otthers on your list. Also, the 1kg boots aren't going to work for you. For reference, I was in a shop yesterday and tried on tltX's and the shop guy had to double check to make sure they were in ski mode...and then he got a little worried that I might break them just standing there carpet flexing them. Us clyde types are a little special needs in the gear dept. Would also be helpful to hear more about what kind of conditions you'll be in, how much vert, how you like to ski, how you like to stand on a ski....

All pretty solid options, as long as they fit well. The nice thing about this boot class if that you can pair most backcountry oriented skis with them and they will work well. Iíd agree with what falcon said. 180-190 and 105-110 seems to be the sweet spot for you.

I have 184cm 4FRNT Ravens, and absolutely love them. You could also go with the Hoji, which is a bit wider (112), and Iíd bet you would also be pretty happy. They are super maneuverable yet also stable; and they absolutely eat up bad snow (which is rare for a ski that light). You would likely want to bump up to the 190, since they ski kinda short (due to all the rocker).

Iíd also consider if you want this as primarily a mid-winter ski (3-D crud and deeper powder), or a spring ski (shallow powder & wind buff up high with melt/freeze variable down low). The Raven and Hoji are better for the former, not as much for the latter IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telly turner View Post
    I'm a big guy (6'4, 250lbs)
    If you do commit to all this uphill, youíll end up a smaller guy

I'm down about 50lb from this time last year, which has made everything uphill oriented so much easier and has me motivated to keep it going. I'm not mad at the prospect of being a smaller, big guy. Lol

Appreciate the insight from a fellow clyde on both skis and boots.

I'm in Calgary, so skiing in the Rockies. Bow Valley, Kananaskis, Rogers Pass, etc. Potential for big vert days, but will be starting smaller/safer as I work on fitness and BC experience.

If you're looking at the Hoji Free expect to do a ton of boot work regardless of your foot. Additionally you should take a look at the Roxa R3
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Big guy touring set-up

Quote Originally Posted by jsnfschr View Post
    I'm down about 50lb from this time last year, which has made everything uphill oriented so much easier and has me motivated to keep it going. I'm not mad at the prospect of being a smaller, big guy. Lol
    Iím 6-5 too, but 205
    My bc setup is bc Corvus (not freebird) w/ look hm 12 (dynafit rotation12)
    Kinda heavy as far as that goes but not terrible

I’d look hard at a Corvus freebird. It will ski it all and float. Pair that with a tecnica zero g 130. RFC is on the right track too with a roxa as well.

Big guy touring set-up

Iím 6í5Ē 245. Iím digging the 190 Ravens as an all purpose touring ski. Theyíre plenty stiff and donít ďfoldĒ in funky snow or wash out on firmer snow. I did mount about 2cm behind Hojiís recommendation and shimmed the toes on the Tectons 6mm. Super quick, light and stable. I use Lupo 130 Cs. Lighter boots deform for me.

Iíd also consider the 191 Hoji 4lock for more soft snow touring.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lupos are great if thatís your only boot. Otherwise fuck that. They are too soft. I wanted a stiff tongue and Dabello essentially told me to fuck off. Iím done with that softish stuff. If you want a real boot itís not a three piece.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Lupos are great if thatís your only boot. Otherwise fuck that. They are too soft. I wanted a stiff tongue and Dabello essentially told me to fuck off. Iím done with that softish stuff. If you want a real boot itís not a three piece.
    Okay

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Come see me at Ski West on Saturdays and I'll do my best to get you going.

Hustle (more progressive) or Blaze (more traditional) immediately come to mind depending on your style of skiing but with the skis that you've owned, leaning Hustle. Keep the binding weight down with preferably the ATK or second MTN/Backland.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I ended up picking up Radical Pro's for boots and am looking at some second hand G3 Synapse 109's (190) to get me started this season.

As much as I love bike season, I'm more excited for winter than I've been in a long time. Hopefully we get a little more snow stability than last year!

I like this thread. 6'4 210 and always wondered how much I need to account for size difference when looking at gear reviews and such.

If you're looking for pow touring sticks, I've been really happy with the 192cm bent chetler 120s. Pretty stout for how light they are. Great for noodling around. Trying out the death wish tours as my main touring skis this winter, will report back how they go but have a good feeling about them.

Moment voyagers have been great touring bindings. Shifts were prereleasing way too much for me.

Boot wise, I run the atomic hawx 130 xtds and have outflexed them on rare occasion, otherwise pretty happy with them and they've been getting more stout since I got them in '21. Also demoed the radical pros and really liked them despite most reviews being pretty lukewarm about them.

Also located in Calgary - 6 ft, 210 lbs.

Hustle 11 188 w/ ATK FR.
    Swapping boots this season from the Lupo to the new Dynafit Tigard, which I am excited about. Swapping tongues on a tour was highly annoying.

Are the ATK freeraider 12s a reasonable little brother to the FR14s?
    (asking in context of a big guy who just canít put the cash to the 14s right now but would like to move on from look hm12s [dynfit rotation2])

I’m about your size and have the v-werks Katana and have been really happy with it. It handles all conditions from ice to pow really well. Is by far my best ~110mm ski in pow I’ve been on (floats as well as my fatter skis) and it great in all kinds of variable conditions.

It’s not the lightest on the up, but at my size, I’ll never be the fastest. I’ve been really happy with the performance of this ski. Really the only drawback is the price.

Located in Koots.
    Kastle FX116 w/ Casts
    Lange 130xt3 130 have also overflexed a couple of times
    6'3 and 240 with full pack

Happy taking'er slow on the up for a better ride down..
    On the tech binding front if you got G3 skis, the ions worked great for me for a season a few years ago until moving to a stiffer ski, then they never felt completely solid after a couple of pre releases. Changed to shifts as I only have one ski set up, now Casts.
    Last edited by UkBCyeti; 11-01-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Lmao I'm also in Calgary. 6'2 215 here.

My touring setup is 188 Corvus FB with MTNs and Roxa R3s. Works well, but if I was going to go weight weenie status I'd probably start looking at lighter clothes. At this point I don't have enough friends who tour overnight to worry about that, my whole crew is new and cautious, sprinkled with some high experience crazy vert seeking dudes who put up with us.

Okay. Next "big guy" question:

Bibs vs pants? I'm not saying we as a collective group definitely run hotter, but feel like we probably run warmer in general. That said, bibs have some benefits (ie - namely extra pockets, no belt, warm for days in the cold, Canadian Rockies, etc).

I've been in the market for new pants for a long time, but haven't been out enough the last few years to justify pulling the trigger. I'm thinking my old SAGA pants are going to be a little (aka a LOT) too baggy to drag into the backcountry. Heck, they're already kind of annoying for regular resort use.

If I go bibs, will likely be Flylow or Trew. If I go pants, probably Flylow or Arcteryx. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Touring as a short skinny azn its always been pants for me something with good vents cuz its more of problem staying vented than being cold IME

ordering from the arcterxy guys on the phone they have been pretty accurate ime

and if yer not happy with the fit just send it back no charge

IME the deadbird products have always worked great and the warranty which I have used has been awesume
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know