Inbounds slide Mt Seymour, Vancouver

Heard through the grapevine of a ski instructor skiing in a permanently closed area on Mt Seymour being almost completely buried after being pushed into a terrain trap with only his hands visible yesterday afternoon. 40cm crown. Any details on this?

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    .... ski instructor skiing in a permanently closed area on Mt Seymour being almost completely buried .....
    Does he/she still have a job?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Not being a dick here (I know, weird right...) but curious as to the consensus of whether a permanently closed area would be classed as "in bounds". I personally wouldn't call it that.

As to whether instructor should keep job after that - well he/she probably learned a pretty good lesson, so I'd say let them stay on to preach the virtues to all who would listen of not skiing permanent avalanche closure areas because YOU COULD DIE.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Seymour is a small area but also it is so not steep that I never skied there, i wondered how buddy got buried if in fact this is true ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 12.35.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	990.0 KB 
ID:	450002

Seymour has all kinds of areas to get buried in. You can easily find yourself in challenging backcountry terrain while simultaneously being able to see your own home down in the city below.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Not being a dick here (I know, weird right...) but curious as to the consensus of whether a permanently closed area would be classed as "in bounds". I personally wouldn't call it that.
    I get what your saying Gary of Terrace. Where I work/ski, which I think is a lot different than Shames (where I have never had the pleasure of skiing at), there are several “inbounds permanent closures”. They are in place to keep public from falling to their deaths over big cliffs/ keep public from causing avalanches that could effect inbounds terrain. These closures do get controlled with explosives when deemed needed. If people ski in these closures they risk losing their pass or potentially life.

“Out of bounds” here means outside the ski area, which never sees avalanche control and is never closed to back country skiers.

the north shore has lots of places to get in trouble and a very active SAR org

but in bounds ? that whole NS is one of the most monitored places around Vangroovy there are SAR incidents almost every day

and so far its just a rumor cuz noramaly CBC would jump on something like that

too many were fore and what have ya's
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-02-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

fair enough - there doesn't appear to be any permanently closed areas inside the ski operation boundaries