Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old School NBA

Old School NBA

I loved the Jordan era, particularly his Bulls rampage through the 90's. Still think all around MJ is by far the best ever to play the game. But the Lakers-Celtics in the 80's? That assemblage of talent? That rivalry? Whoo boy!

Didn't get better than that. Agree with you on MJ (Jordan that is) too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Mikan is old school

And Jordan is the goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Mikan is old school
    One of the trailblazers, for sure! His fundamental drill has been around for decades, and is still being used today.

And Jordan is the goat.

11:30 Old Jordan channels Young Jordan. I remember watching that during the original game broadcast. Fuck!

I'm a big fan of the set shot and double underhand foul shots.
    And while we're at it--stacked pads hockey goal tending. A month or two ago someone--I can't remember who in the NHL made a stacked pads save and the announcers were beside themselves.

‘86 Celtics…best TEAM?

https://youtu.be/O4Td5QRfzj4

Living in L.A. during that era, the Showtime Lakers were pretty fucking great.

I mean, it was pre-hard salary cap, so it's no wonder they were able to rampage when their team was paid often double or triple what their opponents were:
    https://lvsportsbiz.com/2020/05/18/o...ary-structure/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm a big fan of the set shot and double underhand foul shots.
    Well, the latter worked pretty well for Rick Barry. Chamberlain? Not so much. His 100 point game was the exception - 28 for 32!

Set shot? Now that is some OG shit!

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I mean, it was pre-hard salary cap, so it's no wonder they were able to rampage when their team was paid often double or triple what their opponents were:
    https://lvsportsbiz.com/2020/05/18/o...ary-structure/
    Pro sports salaries are clearly insane, and Jordan may have helped move that along, but in his prime he was head and shoulders above everyone in the NBA, sometimes crotch too! If anyone was ever worth the $$, it was MJ!

Name:  6E95E126-BFFC-4B54-9C01-7D0F22E6B2D2.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  111.2 KB

Greatest poster ever?

Horace Grant was #2 on that list? Solid player, but wouldn’t have guessd that.

It’s not like paying Michael Jordan (or Steph Curry, or LeBron James) $30M a year has a bad ROI. It’s a hell of a lot easier to justify their earnings than it is to justify most CEO salaries.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    It’s not like paying Michael Jordan (or Steph Curry, or LeBron James) $30M a year has a bad ROI. It’s a hell of a lot easier to justify their earnings than it is to justify most CEO salaries.
    As insane as sports salaries are now in general, I agree it’s way easier than the bs amts all the interchangeable CEOs are getting these days

Old School NBA

It’s an interesting discussion generally. It’s assigning a value system to how much salary somebody should earn. Typically, it’s different (and even opposed) groups of people who argue that (1) athlete/CEO salaries are too high than those who argue that (2) service worker salaries are too low. But it’s the same value system behind both that we just don’t want to name because that puts us in agreement with something we’d prefer to craft our arguments against. We come up with logic and rationalizations for the Neanderthal ideas we already have in our head, and here all that idea is is that there’s only so much more than me that somebody is allowed to have, and as long as I have more than the next guy there’s nothing to worry about.

Sorry for the digression… staunch Jordan fan here and I bristle whenever my 15yo tries to make a case for LeBron. Nobody moved or dominated like Jordan.
    focus.

Watched a lot of the Lakers in the 80s, mainly on the tube and a couple times live. I think Chick was the goat of the sportscaster.

Chick was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Pro sports salaries are clearly insane, and Jordan may have helped move that along, but in his prime he was head and shoulders above everyone in the NBA, sometimes crotch too! If anyone was ever worth the $$, it was MJ!

Greatest poster ever?

Horace Grant was #2 on that list? Solid player, but wouldn’t have guessd that.
    My point was more it's easier to be great when you have the best of the best as your supporting cast, to the point that your team without you is still higher paid than nearly all other teams. Not denying Jordan the GOAT status, but in a lot of cases it was like the big D1 teams that beat up on junior colleges.

Some good old school content here. And Burr is right, Isiah Thomas was and is a piece of sh*t.

My mid 80s college buddies were hard core NBA fans, about half Celtics, some Lakers,a nd a few others. Being from Minnesota at the time I jumped on the Laker bandwagon and have mostly stayed put good or bad.
    I own Worthy, Johnson, Abdul Jabbar, and a James Black Mamba Coby tribute.

Wife went to school with MJ. and that UNC Natty crew. We can agree on Worthy. Bulls vs Pistons was as epic as Lakers vs Celtics..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Some good old school content here. And Burr is right, Isiah Thomas was and is a piece of sh*t.

Wow, I never liked Isaiah. Now I'd say I despise him.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Just got around to watching this...

Name:  Bill Russell - Legend.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  144.3 KB

It's got a lot of great footage of the NBA from the late 50's through the 60's. Lot of footage and discussion of the Russell-Chamberlain rivalry, and Celtics-Lakers, of course.

It also delves deeply into mid-twentieth century race relations, but then how could it not? Russell was not only a toweringly great basketball player, but a man who stood up for his principles, and that is not easy at any time, especially not then, especially for him.

It is very well done and well worth a watch.

Bill Russell: Legend

One of the dad's on the street where I grew up had been on an NBA Championship team. 1951 season. Guy was a realtor and wore really thick glasses as I recall.

"The Spaulding Guide noted that "Glamack, who is ambididextrous when on the court, is also so nearsighted that the ball is merely a dim object, but apparently he never looked where he was shooting, depending upon his sense of distance and direction." The secret of "The Blind Bomber" was looking at the black lines on the court."
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Name:  Shaq Yao.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  36.4 KB

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

This old enough to be considered old school yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E22CC84-B768-41C3-9602-6E7BFD90053B.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	459721

That's the sort of stat line I think of when I think of Melo.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Best player I ever saw personally was Bob Lanier. Too bad he never had a chance to play on a great team. Although he did play with Dave Bing--the best one-eyed guard in the history of the game, and John Mengelt, the greatest player for diving into the stands after a ball in NBA history.