Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Owen Leeper in small slide in couloir

Not new news, but the video (especially the drone footage) is pretty scary
    https://www.instagram.com/o_leeps/reels/

the drone footy is here but there's other angles above too
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CovXMdegXmt/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Gotta get that content

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From my decade + of paramedics,"If God wants you can't hide and if not you "almost" can not be stupid enough"

Holy shit. That must have been terrifying the moment the slab cracked and how exposed he was. Very lucky.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Double holy shit. That helpless feeling when you know your gonna go for a ride has got to be awful

wow, thats a ride. glad was not more serious

I get butterflies up my bunghole when he hits the rock wall. Ouch.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Double holy shit. That helpless feeling when you know your gonna go for a ride has got to be awful

This ^^ There's no going back, only down
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Human pinball, glad he was able to keep it together.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I've never heard myself scream like I did when I realized I couldn't fight it and had to ride it out. I was over a 30 foot cliff and a hell a thick strainer of pines too. When it came to a stop and I was only buried up to my tits I didn't care that one ski was gone and the other bent to shit, I was alive and that was all that mattered.

That shit changed my life.

That's probably why I got the butterflies up the bunghole watching that pov video. Fuck all that!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Goddamn right it is.

I've been carried a handful of times but never anything close to this.

All of the work ya put into not getting slid disappears from your head and it's a bitch to wrap your head around what to do now. Most peeps can't practice in motion skills to save oneself.

In the jh thread we discussed this a bit. One can practice self arrest but even that requires timing, technique, luck, etc.
    He said he was digging with his hands up high.

Once his heinie hits the rock and sends him face first into that lil' buttress, it's all over with but the shouting.

I'm a shouter, I've hit some rocks so fucking hard, I was certain I was broken. It helps to yell.
    SirVic and East or Bust heard me 2 years ago in the JH OB. I was lucky the rock hit my glute.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 02-26-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Self arresting in a slide is close to impossible. The one small ride I went for took me under a low hanging branch I thought I could grab but it just ripped through my hands and I doubt if I held that the branch itself would stay on the tree.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Self arresting in a slide is close to impossible. The one small ride I went for took me under a low hanging branch I thought I could grab but it just ripped through my hands and I doubt if I held that the branch itself would stay on the tree.
    I've had really low density snow pull out around me while on a solid bed surface that I could dig my edges in and let it roll around me. So it depends on factors but generally speaking, anything more substantial and I think you're right. The fracture around Owen in that video didn't look all that dangerous but watching the POV and it's pretty clear there was no stopping going for the run. The one I mentioned in my previous post was to the ground, the fractures were probably 5 feet deep. That sound was fucking terrifying.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The initial pitch in this slot is a bit deceiving from the viddy. Wstdeep pointed out that Owen's few turns prior were already steepish, at least enough to move quickly from the start. Def an unlikely place to dig in a pole.

If I read correctly, he'd already tried this twice and hiked up and out of it twice.

What a crash. Glad he got away with only a dislocated shoulder.

Incredible footage.

The antisocial media comments are awful. So many haters and armchair quarterbacks. Dude is a strong skiier from what I've seen. I guess everyone loves you until you make an error or get unlucky.

I am interested in details of the avalanche forecast beyond 'moderate' as well as the pitch of the slope.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    What a crash. Glad he got away with only a dislocated shoulder.

Incredible footage.

The antisocial media comments are awful. So many haters and armchair quarterbacks. Dude is a strong skiier from what I've seen. I guess everyone loves you until you make an error or get unlucky.

I am interested in details of the avalanche forecast beyond 'moderate' as well as the pitch of the slope.

Let them talk. None of the haters have ever done such adventurous skiing and haven't lived half the life that kid has I bet. Besides, his sponsors love the attention I'm sure.

I bet that was around 40 where it cracked and the couloir ha got to be 50+. Give or take a few digits.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    The antisocial media comments are awful.
    I made a conscious effort to not even glance at the comments because I knew it would be a bunch of fucking gapers and wannabe heroes who just took their avy 1's last year, if that.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I made a conscious effort to not even glance at the comments because I knew it would be a bunch of fucking gapers and wannabe heroes who just took their avy 1's last year, if that.
    Bahahah! Perfect and honest truth.

"I just wanna know, did he dig a pit?"
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Don’t have any problems with him doing something like that but why do people feel the need to document everything?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Don’t have any problems with him doing something like that but why do people feel the need to document everything?

Yeah, a nicely written essay to his sponsors about what he skied at the end of every season would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Yeah, a nicely written essay to his sponsors about what he skied at the end of every season would be best.
    Maybe they could turn it into a shareholder slidedeck. With quotes from people who saw him ski it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Maybe they could turn it into a shareholder slidedeck. With quotes from people who saw him ski it.

I hope he includes a section about which turn looked the best.

Owen Leeper in small slide in couloir

I don’t really pay any attention to pro skiers. I only see stuff like that here.

It’s not what gets me excited about skiing. I’ve never been much of a spectator though

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

That's smart. I could see the copy reading something like this - "Despite the low snow year, I have increased my cliff lengths from last season on average by 5% and straightlines by over 9% with the vertical drop of them increasing of at least 200' on average. Based on these stats, no matter what the snowfall is like in 2024, I am confident these sustained gains will continue next season."

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Let them talk. None of the haters have ever done such adventurous skiing and haven't lived half the life that kid has I bet. Besides, his sponsors love the attention I'm sure.

I bet that was around 40 where it cracked and the couloir ha got to be 50+. Give or take a few digits.
    Exactly... I agree.

With that much slope, i.e. 50 degrees... seems avy risk would not be that high? And ultimately, bad luck

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB