Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2023 Maggot Racing Thread

I just signed up for the local spring enduro and DH race, Hubapalooza. Prob will sign up for the Silver and maybe Whitefish enduros as well as the Dakota Five-O again too, even after my brush with heatstroke last year.

What's everyone else up to?

Butte 50 and Dakota Five-O on my list. Probably several of the local Missoula spring mtb races to force myself into shape.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Still trying to figure out my schedule. MES released their dates and the Helenduro fits way better in my schedule in July, so may sign up for that.

The Whitefish enduro was sweet last year, would really like to get back up there for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I just signed up for the local spring enduro and DH race, Hubapalooza. Prob will sign up for the Silver and maybe Whitefish enduros as well as the Dakota Five-O again too, even after my brush with heatstroke last year.

What's everyone else up to?
    Pretty sure I'll be coming over with a couple other Bozeman guys and doing Hubbapalooza enduro as well.

Just signed up for the Rendezvous Enduro at JH, I guess I should get a Village pass as well. Might try and get to Helena, but I’m not sure about availability.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Was kinda aiming to do a race or two this year, but my schedule doesn't work for any of the races I want to do. So I guess I'll just ride my bike without a clock for another year.

I am just in it to finish, really. If I’m a few minutes faster than some other geezers (or Whippersnappers), bonus!

I'm missing Hubapalooza for my mom's 70th bday.....a worthy cause! Anyway, other regionalish races in April around the west? I didn't race all of '22 because of my shoulder injury. Would like to ease back in with a smaller enduro race if possible.

I have a kinda weird cycle cycle where every 6-7 years or so I decide to focus on endurance events instead of gravity/enduro. After my injury last fall, this seems to be one of those seasons.
    I signed up for the Iron Horse road race, and the gravel fondo the next day. Then 2 weeks later Telluride Gravel and month after that Telluride 100. Probably gonna sign up for the recently announced Durango Derby. It’s a cool format: 1 day stage race of loops on our town trails that hit 3 different trail networks in 4 stages. 50 miles total, I think 36 miles of proper single track racing. 14 miles of neutral transfers.
    I am signed up for the Abajo Enduro in August. I’ll probably be ready to chill the fuck out by that point

2023 Maggot Racing Thread

Anyone ever do the LoToJa Classic? Last weekend a friend brought it up to me. Road race from Logan UT to Jackson WY. Looks like it could be pretty fun.

I wouldn’t be competitive, never taken on anything even close to that but do have a couple months to train up for it. None of the posted climbs look particularly tricky. Just finishing it would be pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Anyone ever do the LoToJa Classic? Last weekend a friend brought it up to me. Road race from Logan UT to Jackson WY. Looks like it could be pretty fun.

I wouldn’t be competitive, never taken on anything even close to that but do have a couple months to train up for it. None of the posted climbs look particularly tricky. Just finishing it would be pretty sweet.

A number of my CoWorkers do it every year. Most years it goes smoothly. A couple years a freak storm hits and makes it an epic. It is well supported and a smoothly run event. If I owned a road bike, it would be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I have a kinda weird cycle cycle where every 6-7 years or so I decide to focus on endurance events instead of gravity/enduro. After my injury last fall, this seems to be one of those seasons.
    I signed up for the Iron Horse road race, and the gravel fondo the next day. Then 2 weeks later Telluride Gravel and month after that Telluride 100. Probably gonna sign up for the recently announced Durango Derby. It’s a cool format: 1 day stage race of loops on our town trails that hit 3 different trail networks in 4 stages. 50 miles total, I think 36 miles of proper single track racing. 14 miles of neutral transfers.
    I am signed up for the Abajo Enduro in August. I’ll probably be ready to chill the fuck out by that point

This has been showing up in my feed quite a bit. Races like this are hard with some many fast locals that know the trails.

Currently signed up and desperately training for:
    May- Trans-Portugal Mountain Bike. Cross Portugal from North to South over 8 days. Race Town to Town while they transfer your crap.
    June- FNLD Gravel

Thinking about Dakota 5-0. I'm going to need the whole summer to recover from the first two!

It has always been on my radar. I have done a few centuries. However, I enjoy ripping around on dirt too much in our very limited season to want to change up my ‘training’ (very loose term) to incorporate the LSD style riding this would entail. I’m really just starting to feel strong on the gnar in late July, which is when our local serial LoToJa riders seem to start only road riding.

There are exceptions, of course.
    And often, after LoToJa, those friends take a week or two off the bike just when prime dirt season starts coming around again.

I have done it 3 times. It is a pretty cool event and a LONG day on a bike. Would recommend for sure. They key is to figure out your caloric intake. I can also confirm that after finishing I didn’t want to be anywhere near a bike seat for 2 or 3 weeks after.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    This has been showing up in my feed quite a bit. Races like this are hard with some many fast locals that know the trails.

May- Trans-Portugal Mountain Bike. Cross Portugal from North to South over 8 days. Race Town to Town while they transfer your crap.
    June- FNLD Gravel

Thinking about Dakota 5-0. I'm going to need the whole summer to recover from the first two!
    Damn that trans portugal looks dope. Are you bringing support? Mostly double track or is there real MTB? About how much is this gonna run you flights + race?

This looks like a fun little low key enduro in Salida the end of April.

https://salidaenduro.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Been a lurker in these sprocket rocket threads for a bit, but putting out the race schedule in case anyone is in the area (Leadville/high rockies CO) and wants to link up or do some rides.

Startin out with the Salida Enduro in April
    Revolution Enduro - Eagle, in June
    Leadvillle Silver Rush 50 in July
    Then 1 or 2 other Revolution enduros, probably North Routt (Steamboat) in late July and maybe Keystone early August.
    Want to try my hand at the DH race series in winter park in September too

Anybody ridden the Canadian Enduro series? I'm looking at the Fire in the Mountains in West Kelowna in May, looks like a ripping course and overall a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontana View Post
    Startin out with the Salida Enduro in April
    Probably see ya there. Old guy on an absinthe (army green) Evil Offering.

Anyone here give a shit about skateboard racing? No worries, no one else does either lol!

April: Mary Hill downhill longboarding

May: Ditch Slap skateboard banked slalom

June: Bowl of Cones skateboard bowl slalom

July: ISSA National's slalom skateboarding

August: Mary Hill downhill longboarding

September: ISSA World's slalom skateboarding

October: Mecca Ditch skateboard banked slalom

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Probably see ya there. Old guy on an absinthe (army green) Evil Offering.
    I'll keep an eye out! younger dude on a purple transition spire. Hoping to make one of the mid-week single stage races as well if I can, maybe the uncle nazty one, as that looks like it'd be worth the $ more than others

Quote Originally Posted by vermontana View Post
    I'll keep an eye out! younger dude on a purple transition spire. Hoping to make one of the mid-week single stage races as well if I can, maybe the uncle nazty one, as that looks like it'd be worth the $ more than others
    That stage has very little Uncle Nazty (probably a good thing, safety-wise) but Hooligan should be really fun to race.
    Another fun stage will be Rusty Lung. A little pedally in sections but super fast and flowy.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post

June- FNLD Gravel
    I’ll be on the startline with you at FNLD Gravel in June. I’ll be one on a flat bar titanium Independent Fabrication single speed. Will be arriving in Lahti the Thursday before the race.

TransPortugal looks sweet. In 2019, I did a similar EU MTB race, the TransAlp. Racing town to town like that is a just a blast.

Currently living in Denmark these days, so apart from single speeding Finland Gravel as one of my A events, in May here is a large 12 Hr MTB race (north of Copenhagen on north coast of Denmark). Will be racing that solo (did it on 4 man team in 2019 when I lived here previously).

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn that trans portugal looks dope. Are you bringing support? Mostly double track or is there real MTB? About how much is this gonna run you flights + race?
    I'm excited for it, I've been to Portugal once before and had an epic adventure that involved a borrowed bike that we broke, getting stranded in the mountains, and hitchhiking back to our hotel with a family that didn't speak English. Top 5 greatest experience.

I think the race is mostly double-track with some singletrack and some road. I've tried to Strava-stalk previous participants, but it's hard when you don't know the terrain at all.
    Fortunately the dollar is pretty strong right now, so I'm in the race for ~$3k. This includes lodging for 8 days, Daily Massage (I said I was bougie), Breakfast + Dinner, and Baggage transfer each stage. All in all, a pretty solid deal.
    Plane tickets were more expensive than they needed to be because I'm a bougie mofo and I don't like sitting in coach. They should have been ~$1,300.

All-in for travel, lodging, most dining (and a couple of extra days in Lisbon) and I'm ~$5k.

I'm heading over with a friend who's also doing the race. Self-supported via my water-filter and credit card (plus those daily rub-downs).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I’ll be on the startline with you at FNLD Gravel in June. I’ll be one on a flat bar titanium Independent Fabrication single speed. Will be arriving in Lahti the Thursday before the race.

TransPortugal looks sweet. In 2019, I did a similar EU MTB race, the TransAlp. Racing town to town like that is a just a blast.

Currently living in Denmark these days, so apart from single speeding Finland Gravel as one of my A events, in May here is a large 12 Hr MTB race (north of Copenhagen on north coast of Denmark). Will be racing that solo (did it on 4 man team in 2019 when I lived here previously).
    We get in Thursday as well. Bringing the whole family to this one and we're heading to Munich after a few days in Finland. My wife has a fond place in her heart for Finland after becoming a master's world champ there last year.

Shoot me a message.