Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Trials Of Personal Snow Removal.

I have a John. Deere X360 with a 44" blade that I use to clear my driveway. Also, I outfit it with 160lbs of back weights and tire chains. Today casualties include two broken hitch pin fasteners, broken tire chain, broken Scraper blade with 3 missing screws/nuts and a missing screw and nut for one of my runners.

No skiing for me today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3426.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	863.1 KB 
ID:	448851

A few weeks ago, a yoke and pin for hydraulic lift of the blade were lost in the snow. I bought a nice snow blower (26" Cub Cadet with tracks) as a supplement and to get me through until the new parts arrived. It was a special order from Home Depot. When delivered, the two reverse gears did not work, and the left front light was broken. I returned it for a refund. Piece of shit.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I ski pow, then i go to the office, then come home after dark and shovel a lot. I tend to sleep well when it snows.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I have a John. Deere X360 with a 44" blade that I use to clear my driveway. Also, I outfit it with 160lbs of back weights and tire chains. Today casualties include two broken hitch pin fasteners, broken tire chain, broken Scraper blade with 3 missing screws/nuts and a missing screw and nut for one of my runners.

No skiing for me today.

Name:	IMG_3426.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	863.1 KB 
ID:	448851
    What did I tell u about letting the teenagers use it?

You said not to.

What did you do?

I let the teenagers use it.

The Trials Of Personal Snow Removal.

I call it Snow Wars. Was chained to my desk today from 0630-1500. No skiing yet today but might rally here in a moment for a lap in the backyard bowl if visibility improves.

Between my 3 parking spots, the deck and camper, it’s been a truly epoch year of snow wars. Here’s one current pic and one from last week.

Name:	Image1677104072.849151.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	448854

Name:	Image1677104135.801943.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	448855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1677104168.701643.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	448856

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I call it Snow Wars. Was chained to my desk today from 0630-1500. No skiing yet today but might rally here in a moment for a lap in the backyard bowl if visibility improves.

Between my 3 parking spots, the deck and camper, it’s been a truly epoch year of snow wars. Here’s one current pic and one from last week.

Name:	Image1677104072.849151.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	448854

Name:	Image1677104135.801943.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	448855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1677104168.701643.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	448856
    Brooooooooooooooooooooo. This in the Wasatch? Looking like Mammoth Lakes with that amount of snow! Lots of shoveling here in CO, but damn...That's a lot of snow.

That's ridic
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yeah, we had water coming through the roof last week. Ice dam and a leaky vent boot. Good times.

Name:	WhTIddG.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	448901

yeah .... no.
    I'll live down in the lowlands and just visit.

We had no snow. Then it snowed every other day for 2 weeks. I was also trying to groom fat bike trails at the same time.

A typical storm day would go like this:
    - Wake up early
    - Shovel my deck
    - Snowblow my driveway/yard
    - Snowblow my other driveway
    - Snowblow the old man across the street's driveway
    (after February 7th) - drive up the road and snowblow my parents driveway

- Work all day

- Go out on the snowmobile and clear trails for the night. Usually involving lots of shovelling and sawing and swearing.

Luckily things have stabilized and I can now ride my bike on nice trails.

I deal with less snow and i only have a 24 " craftsmen so when it dumps big I am better off doing the drive way twice so in the middle of the storm than trying to get it all apres storm cuz I can go way faster with less problems and i think its easier on the HW
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-22-2023 at 09:46 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Be glad you have snow to work/play in this year.
    watch out for snakes

Name:	IMG_2441.JPG 
Views:	282 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	448943
    Big year on the east side of the cascades has me thinking about a blower or tractor…. Neighbor has heavy equipment and does the driveway but just keeping the rest dug out was exhausting during December and January

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

get the equipment, a 24" snow blower is the entry level so not very big but it was cheaper and can maneuver thru gates and around stuff

also coming under " snow removal "I had snow & ice build-up from the vents of 2 apts on my roof so I instaled heat trace on the roof and gutters

Yes I’m in the Wasatch. Spent some time yesterday digging out the heater vent, which is already 12’ off the ground. Great skiing to be had tho!

Name:	Image1677171247.221130.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	884.9 KB 
ID:	448960

Oh to have a smidgen of those problems. #fukkthiswinterinpennsylvania.

I had to start my snow blower yesterday to see if it works

Six inches total so far… I don’t think I will need it..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have an older snowblower and this year I bought a used 45 inch wide blower thinking it'll solve all my problems.

First storm the big blower stops moving. I took it apart, found the axle is broken (this isn't what caused it to stop moving) so I've set it aside and will decide if I want to fix it in the spring.

2nd big storm the smaller snow blower stopped moving. Luckily this just required a new belt, but that was not fun to acquire and replace in the middle of a snow/ice storm.

I think I have the wife convinced to go all in for a sub compact tractor with a blower and loader for next year.

I am thinking of changing my blade for a blower next season.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

That's what she said.

Serious question, what do you do if you go away for a couple of weeks? I have a long driveway in snow country (120" per year?) and I pay $65 per push. I've thought about the math of break even on buying equipment, maintenance, time etc., but I always come back to leaving for a while during winter and we get big snow/wind.

Man, I admire you guys still willing to DIY. And no fucking way am I shoveling off the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I never shovel the roof and they don't usually say you need to except for a few yars ago when we got a snow event followed by a rain event in late October, there was a big snow/ice load so when at least one house collapsed they recommended shoveling the roof

same event ^^ completely saturated the water table/ flooded many basements , I kept mine at bay with a shop vac, I vacumed every 15 min all night long, since I was up all night anyway I was 1st in line at the rental shop to rent one of their 2 pumps everyone else was SOL

I upgraded to an Ariens SHO blower last year and I'm glad I did. It will throw 2' of wind slab snow 50 feet without breathing hard.

But if we get off our asses and build an ADU and separate garage like we've planned that will double the driveway size and I'll need to get a compact tractor with blower attachment to fight that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Serious question, what do you do if you go away for a couple of weeks? I have a long driveway in snow country (120" per year?) and I pay $65 per push. I've thought about the math of break even on buying equipment, maintenance, time etc., but I always come back to leaving for a while during winter and we get big snow/wind.
    House won't be empty during the winter for more than a day or two here and there. In winter, if we go away, either my daughter or son will will come over to watch the house and dogs. If you don't mind shoveling/plowing/blowing your own driveway, I bet that you can contact a local guy to plow it during the 1-2 wks. while you are away.
    Which brings me to: l2s' comment, "Man, I admire you guys still willing to DIY".
    One of my strongest memories of my dad is shoveling snow. I am one of the middle of 4. Every time it snowed, he made sure that the five of us shovel the driveway and walk of my house 2 or 3x during a typical storm. I really enjoy it. I wish that I instilled that into my kids, but no such luck.

We've been getting pounded this winter. Peggy, our 2005 Silverado HD with a 8' Boss V plow has been doing an admirable job on the road and driveway (about a mile with a steepish s-curve thrown in). The 6.0 gasser has been plenty powerful so far and the tranny seems solid, even with ~150k. It's nice that it starts in those sub zero temps without having to be plugged in. I threw Timbrens on the IFS to try to mitigate wear and added an HD alternator for the plow, so we'll see how that goes. She eats wiper blades but I'm reluctant to try the heated ones...seems rife with potential problems.

I did confirm that the Toro snow thrower I bought in a pinch last year is a piece of shit. Blew a belt in maybe 6 hours of use, and it's weak and cheap feeling. Upgraded to a similar sized Simplicity and couldn't be happier. It is always easy to start (even when wife left it out in sub zero temperature), and it eats snow like a champ. Feels beefy and it's easy to use.

It was a big enough winter to call in my buddy's skid steer with a blower to hollow out a few corners in early January. A plow can only throw snow so far and when the walls get around 3 to 4 feet, the snow just starts falling back in and wind drift gets stuck.

Lesson: In snow removal equipment, spend a little more and it pays off big time. Don't fuck around if you live in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."