Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    You know something eventualy will need maintenance so you just need to do pre-emptive maintenance

the first winter I have to jump the battery in my truck usually after about 6-7 yrs I know its time to replace it in the spring

It might go another year but I don't want to work on a truck at -17C assuming the part is even in-stock

on the same lines I was skiing with a buddy in 20yr old scarpa Lazers and we( me) got talking about how MAYBE it would be a good thing to find some new boots before they break but my leaf licker bros are always like thats excessive/ do you know how many polyesters gave their lives for that boot/ excessive consumsion/ waste of resources/ pick any one or 2 reasons
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Upper roof ice dam released overnight, broke some shingles on the lower roof on its way down. Big, heavy pieces. I expected worse damage if/when it fell.

That's an 80 pound dog in the pic, for size reference.

Here's a pic from a couple of days ago, showing that slab while it was still attached to the upper roof.
    Last edited by El Chupacabra; 04-07-2023 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well those chassis all look the same to me but its a 12yr old craftsman and there is no longer a sears at least up narth

but your takaway was suposed to be its always prefurable to fix something on your schedule with parts and tools you premptively sourced whatever they may be than trying to do it during a snow storm

you buy the belts I hope you got the right ones, hang them on a nail maybe they get lost,

OR fix it now like a good boyscout
    I was just trying to say that you don't need to go to a Sears to find service parts. Since that blower was sold under 14 different brands, places like http://www.jackssmallengines.com can usually get you the right part. They have parts diagrams for most models as well as a cross reference between parts and updated part numbers. But yes, obviously preventative maintenance is best.

Should be easy but finding the replacement belts localy was not a slam dunk, went to a couple places that stock snowblower parts, there were quite a few

so I bought a few and took some back, i wouldn't want to be wanking about with belt selection when i got 2 feet of snow in my driveway

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Should be easy but finding the replacement belts localy was not a slam dunk, went to a couple places that stock snowblower parts, there were quite a few

so I bought a few and took some back, i wouldn't want to be wanking about with belt selection when i got 2 feet of snow in my driveway
    I wouldn't want to be wanking about, as you so eloquently put it, ever. Of course I hang out on TRG, do there's that special d'oh!

according to the urban dictionary you might like wanking about

Wanking

to grip your hand around your penis and pull up and down ... to cause an ejaculation

suggest you stop before you go blind

maybe when you just need glasses ?

I'm confused. You masterbate when your snowblower is broken? Weird crisis response.

No kink shaming!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1298.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	454817

Name:	IMG-1300.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	454819

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post

Name:	IMG-1298.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	454817

Name:	IMG-1300.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	454819
    You found a Subaru..... gross.

It's always a battle getting snow removed vs getting freshies, especially when your traction cable breaks. While I wait for a replacement to arrive after the next couple storms, is there a smart 'quick fix' to simply repair the cable on this part?

Name:  IMG_2929.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  282.6 KB

FWIW, A couple customer comments:

"Broken Ariens Traction Cable Eyelet : "Quick" fixAs others have written, I have had the snow blower for a few years. Last year, I hardly needed the Snow Blower due to little snow fall in Central New Jersey. Not the case this year. First time I used it this year the eyelet snapped right in the middle of clearing a neighbor's driveway so he could take his wife to the doctor. I was able to get the traction cable working in about 30 min by rigging plastic cable ties between the bottom of the broken eyelet and the lever "pin". It worked to complete my driveway (my neighbor finished his sufficiently with a shovel to drive to the doc appt) but the next snow fall a couple of days later, the ties broke during clearing. So I made some adjustments with the ties and it worked again. Next time the hair pin clip fell out and was lost, so I used a bent nail...but the ties stayed in place. After that I went to the big box h/w store and bought a new pin clip. All in all, I think I'd rather continue this jury rigging rather than buy a replacement cable from Ariens. And, by the way, why do I see two cables of different lengths listed for my model (921030)? One (25.7in, Part 06900439) is in-stock, one (23.7in, Part 06900502) is out-of-stock? Both indicate they fit my model. Other than measuring my cable -- even if I wanted to order one -- how would I know which length is the right one for my model?"

AND

"Traction cable

I have replaced this cable 3 times and it broke again! Very frustrating, you spend good money on what you think is a good machine and lets you down time after time. Sounds redneck but I used a piece of rebar wire to get me though the storm and worked perfect. I may leave it on and see how long it lasts."
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

it does give a length in inches but if you can buy them at a real store buy them both and take back whichever doesnt fit

cable ties, paperclips linked togetehr, crazy glue, 5 min epoxy, bits of sting and wire is all fair game

we had guy last name Bosley who was famous for the "Bosley link" which was paperclips strung togetehr

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    It's always a battle getting snow removed vs getting freshies, especially when your traction cable breaks. While I wait for a replacement to arrive after the next couple storms, is there a smart 'quick fix' to simply repair the cable on this part?

Name:  IMG_2929.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  282.6 KB

FWIW, A couple customer comments:

"Broken Ariens Traction Cable Eyelet : "Quick" fixAs others have written, I have had the snow blower for a few years. Last year, I hardly needed the Snow Blower due to little snow fall in Central New Jersey. Not the case this year. First time I used it this year the eyelet snapped right in the middle of clearing a neighbor's driveway so he could take his wife to the doctor. I was able to get the traction cable working in about 30 min by rigging plastic cable ties between the bottom of the broken eyelet and the lever "pin". It worked to complete my driveway (my neighbor finished his sufficiently with a shovel to drive to the doc appt) but the next snow fall a couple of days later, the ties broke during clearing. So I made some adjustments with the ties and it worked again. Next time the hair pin clip fell out and was lost, so I used a bent nail...but the ties stayed in place. After that I went to the big box h/w store and bought a new pin clip. All in all, I think I'd rather continue this jury rigging rather than buy a replacement cable from Ariens. And, by the way, why do I see two cables of different lengths listed for my model (921030)? One (25.7in, Part 06900439) is in-stock, one (23.7in, Part 06900502) is out-of-stock? Both indicate they fit my model. Other than measuring my cable -- even if I wanted to order one -- how would I know which length is the right one for my model?"

AND

"Traction cable

I have replaced this cable 3 times and it broke again! Very frustrating, you spend good money on what you think is a good machine and lets you down time after time. Sounds redneck but I used a piece of rebar wire to get me though the storm and worked perfect. I may leave it on and see how long it lasts."
    SS aircraft cable and a harbor freight crimp/swaging tool?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    SS aircraft cable and a harbor freight crimp/swaging tool?
    Or a bicycle cable and any sort of cable clamp you can rig up in a loop - even looping it around a bolt with washers clamping the cable should work.

That Ariens lever has a threaded rod for adjusting tension, and the inline spring keeps tension on the drive disc lever arm. So it doesn't need to be precise - eyeballing it will get you working again.

This is all assuming that just the cable snapped, nothing inside the casing.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Trials Of Personal Snow Removal.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Or a bicycle cable and any sort of cable clamp you can rig up in a loop - even looping it around a bolt with washers clamping the cable should work.

That Ariens lever has a threaded rod for adjusting tension, and the inline spring keeps tension on the drive disc lever arm. So it doesn't need to be precise - eyeballing it will get you working again.

This is all assuming that just the cable snapped, nothing inside the casing.
    That's basically what I did. I doubled over the ends and looped them. The Ariens cable is around 20awg & bike cable is around 22awg per my wire strippers:
    Name:  IMG_2933.jpeg
Views: 506
Size:  274.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2931.jpeg
Views: 503
Size:  303.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2935.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  346.7 KB

There are sure a lot of PO's Ariens customers. Of course the cable breaks when you need it the most.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-08-2024 at 01:29 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Looks like you're back in business!

So far….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Name:	Resized_20240116_070946_1705409330699.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	483190
    watch out for snakes

We had kids for the "joy" definitely not for the free labor.

The Trials Of Personal Snow Removal.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Name:	Resized_20240116_070946_1705409330699.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	483190
    Nice. I got the bigger makita 18v blower this fall and it does a very nice job clearing the fluff, particularly at the hot tub, wood pile and cars. However as my homie has been known to say “ you can always use more power”

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Nice. I got the bigger makita 18v blower this fall and it does a very nice job clearing the fluff, particularly at the hot tub, wood pile and cars. However as my homie has been known to say “ you can always use more power”
    I was using one the other day and was getting shocked. Went back to the broom.
    off your knees Louie

My backs jacked and I have to access my hot tub.
    I use a corded Snow Joe blower.
    The cords a bit of a hassle, but it’s way lighter than a cordless,gets the job done and I can leave it out all winter.

About to shovel 6" of snow the old fashioned way on 100' of sidewalk (corner lot). At least it's dry powder this time.

just saw the new neighbor down the street out shoveling his driveway to "free" his tesla. There is probably 0.25" of slush that is so spotty it wouldnt even count as a dusting. It was melting faster than he could "shovel".

ya'll should hire him for your snow removal needs. he seems really eager.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    About to shovel 6" of snow the old fashioned way on 100' of sidewalk (corner lot). At least it's dry powder this time.
    I just did that at my parent's house with similar depth. Plus an extra wide driveway. Didn't make it out before the sun hit the ground so it was getting pretty heavy by the time I got half way through. Definitely reminds me that I don't miss shoveling snow.