Yacht runs aground at Honolua Bay

Name:  yacht-honolua.jpeg
Views: 689
Size:  8.6 KB
    https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...ary-west-maui/

The nonprofit Malama Kai Foundation said the public is allowed to use Day-use Moorings Buoys on a first come, first serve basis with a two and a half hour time limit.

Jones said he wasn’t warned of the rules and stayed there for two days.

“There’s nobody that contacted us ever about, ‘hey, you can’t be in this bay, you can’t hook up to an anchor here,’” said Jones. “And so, if somebody would have said that, we would have got out of here.”
    Fucktards

good to know not his fault and that mommy did not warn him not to stay there.

hope the fine is appropriate for the costs incurred. setting a boom is not cheap.

Douchenozzle runs chartered trips to that bay and didn't know the rules? Fuck him.

https://noelaniyachtcharters.com/mau...acht-charters/

So it’s a charter yacht from a single yacht charter company “featured on the travel channel” and the owner, who was aboard, claims to know fuck all? Sure buddy.

Really too bad someone rando didn’t come aboard to assist with the salvage and lay a claim

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Really too bad someone rando didn’t come aboard to assist with the salvage and lay a claim
    The difference between Hawaii and Florida.

Best info I can find on what's happening is this Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/savehonoluacoalition/

The owner wasted a few days with mickey-mouse efforts to pull his wayward yacht off the reef. That went nowhere, so the coast guard has taken over and contracted a salvage company to deal with fuel and any other leakage and then tow it out later this week.

Fortunately there's not much swell forecasted for the next week. A medium-sized winter swell would probably tear that thing apart in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Douchenozzle runs chartered trips to that bay and didn't know the rules? Fuck him.

https://noelaniyachtcharters.com/mau...acht-charters/
    Yup. Just another rich asshole. Shocker.

The willful ignorance by that guy is astounding. Nobody told him the rules? No negligence? WTF!

Another mega rich person plays dumb and thinks rules don’t apply to him. Can’t wait to see what “significant penalties” means.

Did someone cut the vessel loose as a payback for staying 2 nights or did that beast pull the anchorage? Even the most basic recorder/GPS issues warnings if one drifts off the anchorage.

Don't look at insta so couldn't update myself there and didn't delve into his web site either but one could presume he had to hire a licensed capt to run charters.

“While we’re underneath the boat during our pre-check, the mooring line broke,” said Jones. that doesn't even make sense. I have no idea why you would be under a 94' boat at 5:45 in the morning. And you sure as hell would not be under it if the seas are rough enough to break lines. Jones will not be safe in any bar on Maui and the locals will run his business out of Maui.
    off your knees Louie

^^Doesn't make sense hence my question.

This has insurance fraud written all over it

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    ^^Doesn't make sense hence my question.
    you are correct should of been an anchor alarm. Jones might have the license to captain the boat. Does not take much. I doubt insurance fraud. A lot cleaner sinking it out deep.
    off your knees Louie

A 3 hour tour.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    A 3 hour tour.
    Gilligan is always to blame

A week later and it's still there. Here's a pretty good Youtube video talking about the current state of it:

It's been windy as fuck in Maui for the past few days and tomorrow's not going to be any different. Even if they do manage to pull it off the rocks tomorrow, they're going to have fun dragging it through 30 knot winds and 10-12 foot seas.

I think they'll have to take it to Oahu. There's nowhere in Maui you can haul something that big.

It’s off the reef! And they didn’t drag it very far. Apparently it sank in the channel between Maui & Molokai!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    It’s off the reef! And they didn’t drag it very far. Apparently it sank in the channel between Maui & Molokai!
    Having been banged on the rocks for weeks. Wouldn’t they fill it with airbags before dragging it to sea?

Video shows them hauling ass to get it to deeper water before it sank. They weren't trying to save it, no way.

It will be interesting to see how the insurance handles it.

The owners sounds like a real doofus. https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/03/ma...-getting-into/

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Having been banged on the rocks for weeks. Wouldn’t they fill it with airbags before dragging it to sea?
    I can only think it was too dangerous to install them. Or they were happy for it to sink