Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Wtb: fishy boat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330

    Wtb: fishy boat

    Hey guys

    Been thinking about a boat a lot lately. Don't need anything fancy just want to fish a ton. Primarily thinking about a drifty or a very fishy cataraft, but I would think about a raft, too.

    I've looked around on KSL and Craigslist, and I'm just putting out some feelers to see what exists. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Just wanna fish a lot.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    10,008
    Didn’t that underwear guy have a raft for sale?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,853
    I'm here for this adventure and subsequent TRs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Didn’t that underwear guy have a raft for sale?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sold. Lots of bells and whistles anyway. More of a 2-kidney boat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Sold. Lots of bells and whistles anyway. More of a 2-kidney boat.
    One person with two? Or two people with one each?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    491
    Yo. Here’s an older Hyde that’s been up on Fort Collins CL for about a month. Most people want rafts in this zone, so maybe you can talk him down?
    https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/b...578367377.html

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    4,002
    ^ That’s a good price on that.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    ^ That’s a good price on that.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm curious, what makes that a good deal? I feel like for Hyde and Clackaraft, I'm paying mostly for the name brand, if anything. Lots of boats between here and Jackson for $3k-$5k

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Sold. Lots of bells and whistles anyway. More of a 2-kidney boat.
    Only on TGR
    Uno mas

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Sold. Lots of bells and whistles anyway. More of a 2-kidney boat.
    goddamn elitist two kidney 1%er right here

    now you're gonna say something about it only being a boat for people with their whole liver intact

    maybe if I stopped getting dumb tattoos I could afford a nice boat like yours

    in B4 the mods say "fLaG yOuR tHrEaDs As NsFw"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'm curious, what makes that a good deal? I feel like for Hyde and Clackaraft, I'm paying mostly for the name brand, if anything. Lots of boats between here and Jackson for $3k-$5k

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    In the post-Covid era, I’ve seen very few decent boats with trailers in the sub 5k range. Most of that price range has some major issue, no title, ect. But if you find a good one …..scoop it right away. They go quick.

    Clacks and Hyde’s are well made, good track record, relatively easy to repair, and hold their value.

    I have no affiliation to that boat I posted, just saw it a few weeks ago scrubbing the list

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    4,002
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'm curious, what makes that a good deal? I feel like for Hyde and Clackaraft, I'm paying mostly for the name brand, if anything. Lots of boats between here and Jackson for $3k-$5k

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ha you have been hanging out with dibs for sure!!! Yea what was said earlier. Hyde’s and clacka are well made and very reliable with long track records. My 1996 is still going strong (sold it to a buddy). That Yellowstone drifter looks like a pretty sweet boat. I think if you spend less than $5k you are going to end up with something that is going to have more problems than you w to deal with


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Ha you have been hanging out with dibs for sure!!! Yea what was said earlier. Hyde’s and clacka are well made and very reliable with long track records. My 1996 is still going strong (sold it to a buddy). That Yellowstone drifter looks like a pretty sweet boat. I think if you spend less than $5k you are going to end up with something that is going to have more problems than you w to deal with


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lol no not his influence - I'm just tired of seeing 10 year old boats with an asking price of $12k. I don't know the market well enough to say with any certainty, but that sure feels like COVID inflation to me.

    That Yellowstone looks sweet. It was actually already on my radar, but I don't really know how to evaluate good deals.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    491
    Sorry, I didnt mean to blow up that one if you’re watching it… took the link down.

    As long as there’s no major damage and trailer is in good shape, you’ll be stoked with the 5k purchase. Pick one you like the look of and go for it! You’ll be able to get most if not all your money back if you need to get out of it

    Don’t worry about small scratches and dings, you’ll run it into a bunch of shit. Nicer oars are a big plus for me, because you probably won’t spend the 1k on new ones right away.
    Last edited by jpcm; 02-16-2023 at 10:14 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    10,008

    Wtb: fishy boat

    ..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 03-19-2023 at 10:45 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    14,585
    What about the boat snapt was selling ? That was a great price.

    FS: Stealthcraft Sniper
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=348796
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    What about the boat snapt was selling ? That was a great price.

    FS: Stealthcraft Sniper
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=348796
    Really nice boat, but more than I have to spend at the moment. I think the top of my budget is probably $5-6k if I stretch.

    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/70880871

    Curious what the consensus is on this boat. Owner says it's in great shape, super capable, fun boat. Trailer is in good condition and has a title, but the boat is not titled.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    14,585
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Trailer is in good condition and has a title, but the boat is not titled.
    I don’t know UT law, but in both MT and WI if no motor then no boat title or registration required.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I don’t know UT law, but in both MT and WI if no motor then no boat title or registration required.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah it sounds like I'll need to get it titled.

    What's the group's opinion on the boat as a first drifty?

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,628
    Needs more camo

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    491
    Looks alright. Compared to the 97 Yellowstone, it’s probably 10 years older? and shows it. If you want to know the year, there should be a hull I’d # somewhere and you can easily search it online. The 97 looked a lot cleaner and has those nice fiberglass lean bars front and back, this one doesn’t.

    Not sure what’s going on with the red wood floor. That may have been added by some one at some point to add stability? Or maybe that’s how they built these in the 80s?. I’d make sure that’s not hiding floor damage. For sure nicer oars than expected. Sawyer has a good tutorial about how to refinish those square tops. Bet they’d clean up nice. You could also refinish all the wood in the boat pretty easily

    As Harry says, same rules in CO. If your not putting a motor on it, don’t really need a boat title. Just need to get plates for the trailer. If $3500 is your budget, and it floats/rolls, probably a viable option.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcm View Post
    Looks alright. Compared to the 97 Yellowstone, it’s probably 10 years older? and shows it. If you want to know the year, there should be a hull I’d # somewhere and you can easily search it online. The 97 looked a lot cleaner and has those nice fiberglass lean bars front and back, this one doesn’t.

    Not sure what’s going on with the red wood floor. That may have been added by some one at some point to add stability? Or maybe that’s how they built these in the 80s?. I’d make sure that’s not hiding floor damage. For sure nicer oars than expected. Sawyer has a good tutorial about how to refinish those square tops. Bet they’d clean up nice. You could also refinish all the wood in the boat pretty easily

    As Harry says, same rules in CO. If your not putting a motor on it, don’t really need a boat title. Just need to get plates for the trailer. If $3500 is your budget, and it floats/rolls, probably a viable option.
    Yeah you're dead on the money. Built in 1985. The boat was fully refurbished in 2005, hence the floor. Gonna talk to the guy with the 1997 Yellowstone today and see what he says. Seems like a beautiful boat.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    4,002

    Wtb: fishy boat

    jpcm pretty much nailed wha tI would say as well. I will add that we rented a boat in Canada last fall that was of that vintage and design and I would gladly pay the extra $1500 for something more along the lines of the Yellowstone that was shown, or the Hyde. The difference in handling between the 2 is night and day.

    In Utah you dont even need to register the trailer, let alone the boat.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    jpcm pretty much nailed wha tI would say as well. I will add that we rented a boat in Canada last fall that was of that vintage and design and I would gladly pay the extra $1500 for something more along the lines of the Yellowstone that was shown, or the Hyde. The difference in handling between the 2 is night and day.

    In Utah you dont even need to register the trailer, let alone the boat.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Interesting okay. The owner of the 1985 boat says that it is narrow and high sided, which makes me a little nervous. Sounds squirrelly.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    13,057
    Dude have you looked into sit on top fishing kayaks?It will definitely save you a couple of grand. I have a tandem made by Brooklyn Kayaks that I like. It's great alone, or with two. Not good if you want to take Fido with you though. You can borrow mine at any time, or check it out at 4/20 on the Green. LMK.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.55.17 AM.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	448158
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •