Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2023 Salomon QST 106 Mounting Point

I just picked up a pair on the 2023 QST 106, length 189cm, and plan to get them mounted this week. Has anyone had the chance to try them at +1cm or +2cm or has everyone just mounted them on the line?
    Last edited by Dr.Evil; 02-13-2023 at 03:14 PM.

I have the 19/20 QST (which is a little different than the 22/23 version you purchased) and didn't love them on the line. I ended up +1.75 on a remount and found them much easier to pivot and slarve in funky snow while not giving up much top end stability and float.

I’ve got a pair of new qst 106 that I have not been eager to ski. Mounted on the line cause that’s what I usually do. Feels like I can’t get enough pressure on the tips compared to my ripstix 106 so have not been enjoying them.
    My friend has a new pair of qst 96 that she couldn’t ski. Did a +1 remount and loves them
    When I heard that I think that’s the way to go for me.
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

I have the 22/23 QST 106 in a 181. I am 5'11" and 165 pounds. I mounted on the line and I am happy there. I have 5 or 6 half days on them and I can't believe how easy they are in the conditions I've skied so far (pretty much everything but powder > 6"). Only place I haven't enjoyed them is on steep, icy groomers, which is something I never seek out and don't really enjoy anyway. My last in bounds ski was the 185 Blizzard Cochise mounted at plus 1 if that matters.

I’ve skied a couple different years and lengths of the QST 106 and I always preferred at the line or a little behind it.

I absolutely love my 19/20's at -2cm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll most likely get them mounted on the line. I'll report back once I get a chance to ski on them.

I know that the majority of Salomon athletes are mounting them +2

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

On the line seems fine to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I got four days on my what I think were the 21/22 model in the 188cm, the last with the green top sheet. I mounted mine on the rec line. Personally I could not imagine being more forward than that. ymmv of course.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I know that the majority of Salomon athletes are mounting them +2

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    how else would you know you're an athlete?
    bumps are for poor people

2023 Salomon QST 106 Mounting Point

I have 25+ days on my 2023 (white) QST 106 189cm mounted on the line with pivots.
    I had a hard time getting use to them. Found them hooky, lots of tip swing weight. I kinda wish I mounted a head of the line.
    I detuned the tips and they felt a bit better. I use them as my daily drivers in Colorado.
    I own the 2018 (Orange) QST 108 mounted on the line and got along with them really well.
    On deeper days I ski a 117 Atomic Backland 186cm mounted on the line with pivots. I have typically mounted all my Atomic’s (Bents, Automatics, Backlands) over the years on the recommended line.
    I’m in my 40s, 5’10, 190lbs that likes to drive a ski, pressure the shin of my boot 130 flex boot.

I assumed my 2023 QST 106 would ski just like the 2018 QST 106 if I mounted it in the same place. But it’s not. And I’m not sure what I don’t like about my 2023 QST mounted on the recommended line.
    Sorry that’s not too specifically helpful, but I guess my advice is “don’t be afraid to mount ahead of the line”.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The mount line on the 2023 version is a little further back then pervious version which might explain why you didn't like them as much. I did demo them in Jackson Hole last week, however the techs didn't adjust the toe piece, so I think my boot center was close to line, but not sure if it was slightly ahead or behind. When I asked why they don't adjust the toe, they said that's the way they do it (I didn't feel like arguing with her).

I had mine mounted on the line and recently moved them up to +2. IMO they ski way better +2.

On the line I felt like I had to really try to be in the front of the boot to get them to start carves or pivot. I'm a pretty front of the boot skier, I grew up racing, and it felt like I needed to there an unnatural amount with the rec line. It also felt like there was just too much tip in front of me when skiing tighter stuff.

+2 they feel much quicker and ski much more naturally for me.

I ended mounting mine .5 cm ahead of the line, I’ve been really happy with how they ski. I’ve had no problem getting them to carve.

Mine are mounted with STH2 WTR and after about 3 days on them, they have developed a really annoying creak in both skis whenever the ski is flexed. Both the skis and bindings were brand new and professionally mounted. All the screws are tight, but it does sound like the creaking is coming from the front toe piece (most likely from the screws). I’ve been in contact with the shop were I bought them and they are going to talk to Salomon. I don’t suppose anyone else has had this issue?

Bumping this, as I am interested in everyone's experiences with the 189 model and where they mounted.

I was looking on Sooth Ski and noticed that the 181 lengths had the rec line at a -9.4, while the 189 was at -8.2. It would be logical for this to be the other way around, no?

What I have heard is that some Salomon athletes mount at +2, though I wonder if that is for the 181 model only which would drop the mount point closer to the equivalent rec line of the 189.

https://soothski.com/compare/?_value...=%22Compare%22

To the top.

I've got last year's (off-whitish ones) in 189. Word from within marketing at Salomon is +1cm. I did that, and love them. Like the blank, they just ski so easy you kind of forget about them. Kind of dumbfounded people find this ski anything but intuitive and easy. Kind of hate the sizing on the 106. 181 feels too short unless you're only ripping/jibbing around on old snow, and 189 feels too long to be ripping/jibbing around on old snow. But, have to say, I found the 189 easy for bopping around night skiing at Alpental. Can't say it was because of +1cm (never tried them on the line) but they were much easier to throw around than I thought they would be.

FWIW, same for Blank's. Go +1cm on the 186... and maybe even +2 on the 194s. I'm pretty sure I went +1 on my last year's QST 98s in a 184... also great, great ski, but, to be fair, never been on them outside of the midwest. As far as I can tell on the terrain here... excellent ski.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    I've got last year's (off-whitish ones) in 189. Word from within marketing at Salomon is +1cm. I did that, and love them. Like the blank, they just ski so easy you kind of forget about them. Kind of dumbfounded people find this ski anything but intuitive and easy. Kind of hate the sizing on the 106. 181 feels too short unless you're only ripping/jibbing around on old snow, and 189 feels too long to be ripping/jibbing around on old snow. But, have to say, I found the 189 easy for bopping around night skiing at Alpental. Can't say it was because of +1cm (never tried them on the line) but they were much easier to throw around than I thought they would be.

FWIW, same for Blank's. Go +1cm on the 186... and maybe even +2 on the 194s. I'm pretty sure I went +1 on my last year's QST 98s in a 184... also great, great ski, but, to be fair, never been on them outside of the midwest. As far as I can tell on the terrain here... excellent ski.
    Good info. I feel the same way about the QST 106, dead easy to ski and also wish there was a 185ish version.

Now that I have the Blank, I'm wondering if I should sell the 106 and pick up some 98's for low tide days. The Blank is so easy to ski that I imagine I'll have it anytime there may be softish snow on the mountain and I think I may be better served with the 98 if it's all firm? Anyone have thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Good info. I feel the same way about the QST 106, dead easy to ski and also wish there was a 185ish version.

Now that I have the Blank, I'm wondering if I should sell the 106 and pick up some 98's for low tide days. The Blank is so easy to ski that I imagine I'll have it anytime there may be softish snow on the mountain and I think I may be better served with the 98 if it's all firm? Anyone have thoughts on that?
    I own the Blank and the 106. I had the 98 for a bit last year. I liked it just fine but I had so much overlap at that width I let it go. I thought the 98 was more closely related to the Blank than to the 106. It skis powder very well and is a good all mountain choice.

I skied Snowbasin this week. Wednesday (storm day) I started on the 106 and didn't bother to change to the Blank. Same yesterday, a bluebird powder day. Had it been deeper and lighter I'm sure I would have changed to the Blank, but I had a spectacular day on the 106.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I own the Blank and the 106. I had the 98 for a bit last year. I liked it just fine but I had so much overlap at that width I let it go. I thought the 98 was more closely related to the Blank than to the 106. It skis powder very well and is a good all mountain choice.

I skied Snowbasin this week. Wednesday (storm day) I started on the 106 and didn't bother to change to the Blank. Same yesterday, a bluebird powder day. Had it been deeper and lighter I'm sure I would have changed to the Blank, but I had a spectacular day on the 106.
    Deep, light snow I actually reach for my 106 over 118 and Protest now. Get down in there baby - they are very predictable under the snow.

^^^Interesting. Maybe I need a good back to back, but I can't imagine reaching for the 106 over the Blank when there is a more than a few inches new snow.

Accidentally posted this in the Blank thread but meant to put it here.

Moved the mount point on my QST 106 skis to +1.5. Wow what a difference that made. So much more balanced, don't feel like they're always trying to throw me in the back seat anymore. Had a really fun day on them today. Thanks to all who recommended going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Accidentally posted this in the Blank thread but meant to put it here.

Moved the mount point on my QST 106 skis to +1.5. Wow what a difference that made. So much more balanced, don't feel like they're always trying to throw me in the back seat anymore. Had a really fun day on them today. Thanks to all who recommended going forward.
    What length, and how tall/heavy are you?

181 length. 5'8", 160 pds.