Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Blizzard Bonafide 97 Thread

I know there are some fans of this ski and I also know that reviews and impressions are scattered about various "What Ski Should I Buy?" and "What's Blizzard Up To?" threads. I finally got out on my 183's and wanted to share my impressions and encourage others to do the same as this ski ended up being different than I expected and mostly in a good way.

Skier Info: 5' 8" and 200-lbs, 30-40-days a year PNW-based skier, 25.5 Cochise Dyn 130 boot
    Conditions: Soft packed powder from 18" storm the day before; leftover pockets of soft, but deep crud/sloppy seconds
    Ski Info: 183-cm Special Throwback Edition Bonafide 97; Mounted with Marker Griffon Demo (GW version); skied on the line; basic tip and tail gummy stone detune performed on ski (to within 1-2" of contact points)

Initial Impressions:

After reading reviews here and the Blister Gear reviews about how strong of a ski this is reported to be, I approached these with a bit of caution. I've been spending a good bit of time this season on my 184 Volkl Katana K108's, so heavy, damp, and stable has been my vibe. From the first run, the B97 felt a bit hooky, so I took the gummy to the entire length of the ski and gave it a more aggressive treatment to 3-4" within the contact points. That did the trick and I was ready to put them through the paces.

They don't like to be skied at low speeds and do come alive with a bit of speed and momentum. I initially tried to ski them in large arcs like I would my M102's and K108's and I felt like I was fighting the ski a bit. They want to run, but the turn radius didn't feel as "large" as I would have thought. For the first hour I felt like we were not getting along and I kept thinking that I should go back to the truck and swap for my M102's, which are second nature for me. I decided to keep skiing them and adjust my style to how the ski wants to be skied, if that makes sense. That made all the difference...

The B97 has a really interesting mix of stability and agility. As long as I stayed on top of the ski, it was quite stable and comfortable in bigger arcs at higher speed. If I got lazy and got in the back seat, it bucked me and didn't track as well. It pushed through piles and bumps well, again, as long as I was on the shovels. This is where the reported "harshness" of the ski reared it's head from time to time. And I don't think it is hard to ski per se, but rather, it isn't quite as damp and forgiving as something like the M102 or K108. Because it isn't as damp or plush of a ride, you just get more feedback and sometimes that can suck.

Edge hold is very good but conditions have been quite good with no icy hard-pack to test against this week. Something like the M102 is stronger/better, but the B97 certainly holds its own. What really surprised me is how much better the tail feels on the new B97. I owned the OG Bonafide 98 in a 180 and 187. I preferred the 187, but hated the tail. It just wasn't willing to release the way I wanted it to, especially in our coastal snowpack. This new B97 is 100 times better in that regard, which was a pleasant surprise. I did detune the tails a good bit, but given the lack of significant rocker in the tail, they release quite nicely IMO.

What really surprised me with the B97 is how quick it can be edge to edge and how responsive and agile it can feel. It is capable of some very quick and dynamic skiing. Quick direction changes and pivots at speed are easy on the B97. Although they weren't huge, I was skiing bumps faster and more proficiently that I have in years on these. That mix of stable and quick is confidence inspiring in tight spots. I usually hate bumps, but was seeking them out since the ski was so comfortable there and allowed me to ski them better than I have in a long time.

I don't suspect that the B97 is going to displace my M102's. But I could see where they make a smaller resort with technical terrain (think Alpy or Stevens Pass) a playground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1676075604.525190.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	447110
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I just have to say I regret not buying a pair of these when they were on clearance.

I just picked up a pair of these as well. I have the 189s and am a bit bigger than bandit at 6’3” 205. The 189s have a longer radius but it is still only 20m and you can feel they are much shorter than my goliaths at 30m. I haven’t been on a m102 but these felt quite damp for me and are quite forgiving. I also did not find them hooky with a stock tune but the snow was light. I agree they offer a nice mix of agility and stability and am looking forward to more days on mine.
    There are still some more cheap 189s at evo.

Great analysis. Had mine out today the first time this season and they were glorious.

Thanks for creating a dedicated thread.

Good idea Bandit. Crossposting from the Blizzard thread.

I'm at plus 1 on 189s (6'2/195, P15 GWs/Kryptons/317 BSL @WB); bumped forward as I was a bit intimidated, and happy there, but no doubt the bump would have worked also. Still love my pair; I use em as firm only (hasn't snowed in a week sorta thing), and they're fantastic, on and off piste. If there's more than a few inches, Katana 108s or FL113s come out, as I find em a bit challenging to release in West Coast 3D snow, though some on here don't seem to have my issue, and ski em well in 3D. Great fuckin skis.
    Re M102s, my take is that B97s are like riding the rails, but release beautifully with technique, you gotta ask though, where as M102s are just asking to be slarved. Or more simply put, M102s can be skied more centered and are the looser of the two. 189 B97s are more plush than OG 191 M102s, though neither top end is in my sight. I actually look forward to skiing refrozen conditions on these, where as b4 I woulda ridden the MTB. My 2 cents.

Great review as usual Bandit. Shockingly, to me anyway, I have yet to own a Bonafide. The mid-90 category of "skinny chargers" is crowded with a lot of good offerings. Seems nearly every company is quite strong in that category.

I've spent quite a few days on the 183 this season (me 5'8" ~170) and am stoked on them (also always get questions re: the shop graphic). I've got these mounted +1 and detuned to 1 and 2 with a small patch under the bindings @ 3 degrees, and a fairly heavy detune to about 2" back of the tip contact point. I also have the 177 mounted on the line with less detuning. Both are great, but the 177 only really gets out once there are bumps or trees in the picture. Yes, they do like a centered stance, but most good skis do, and the speed limit is pretty much never an issue with the 183.

Corbetts has the 177's and 183's on sale: https://www.corbetts.com/2021-blizza...-97-mens-skis/

$509 Canadian Pesos (around $385 USD shipped...No Tax...free shipping to the states).

Corbett's just dropped the price on the throwback model to $399 CAD. That's about $299 USD shipped. 177's and 183's in stock as of this morning.

Git Sum: https://www.corbetts.com/2021-blizza...-97-mens-skis/

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Corbett's just dropped the price on the throwback model to $399 CAD. That's about $299 USD shipped. 177's and 183's in stock as of this morning.

Git Sum: https://www.corbetts.com/2021-blizza...-97-mens-skis/
    I now see that, what a steal. I like the retro top sheet.

I already have a Ripstick 96 at this width in my quiver - do I want the Bonafide 97? How would the two compare?

I have to say one thing I really like about my wider Rustler 11 is they cut through late day bumps very well (better than any of my other skis at least). I like skiing it even on groomers.
    I see the Bonafide 97 is 2281g vs very light Ripstick 96 at 1600g. The Bonafide is even heavier than the Rustler 11 at 2034g. It would be the heaviest ski in my quiver which may be a good thing.

I was also leaning toward my next ski being a reverse rocker FR110 to try something different but maybe that waits: https://heritagelabskis.com/products/fr110
    Or maybe a Moment Deathwish. So yeah, I guess I am all over the place.

177 or 183? Currently have several 180cm skis that seem right (def not in the 190+cm TGR crowd). 6' 155lb, intermediate/advanced.
    Leaning 177cm based on the Blister review:
    https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...rd-bonafide-97
    Last edited by m5d5cb; 03-01-2023 at 07:23 PM.

I just got my 3rd day on my 189s. If you know how to drive a ski these are easy and nice and smooth. I would buy based on radius. Ripsticks are light and poppy (I think) these are smooth and fast.

Pretty sure I do not need a 189, but torn between 177 or 183. The Blister reviewers seem to suggest 177 for each of themselves and shorter rather than longer.

I do see the radius is different by length, 177 is R17m and 183 is R18.5m.
    Last edited by m5d5cb; 03-02-2023 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by m5d5cb View Post
    Pretty sure I do not need a 189, but torn between 177 or 183. The Blister reviewers seem to suggest 177 for each of themselves and shorter rather than longer.

At your weight, you are right on the bubble between the two lengths. I don't find the 183 to be hard to ski, but I have 45-lbs on you. I read the Blister Reviews and was expecting a much more demanding ski. I could see the 177 being a lot of fun, but also providing a more stable in nasty conditions alternative to the Elan.

FWIW - I recently went with the 177 and have two days at Mt. Baker on them. I'm 51, 5'8" and 185, advanced skier and this was the right size for me. Pretty fun all around and stable in the chunder. Mounted on the line/bump thing. Coming from OG Brahma 177 as my daily driver, pretty happy so far.

Thanks for the feedback, ordered a 177 from Corbett's with the throwback topsheet.

Are you guys all on last years model or the 2023? I had last years in 183 and loved it but ultimately decided it was too burly and stiff and liked the mantra 102s much more. Then I hand flexed one of the 2023s in a store a few weeks ago and it seemed notably more forgiving - but didn’t have the prior model to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by m5d5cb View Post

I read somewhere get the 177 if you prefer to canter instead of gallop

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Are you guys all on last years model or the 2023? I had last years in 183 and loved it but ultimately decided it was too burly and stiff and liked the mantra 102s much more. Then I hand flexed one of the 2023s in a store a few weeks ago and it seemed notably more forgiving - but didn’t have the prior model to compare it to.
    I'm on the 2021 183 and agree with your flex comment. Burly. Haven't touched the '23. But I keep an older gen 2020 pair (180) nearby for days I don't feel up to the challenge. It's a different ski but you can see/feel the family resemblance.

Dang I kinda want a 177…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shot in the dark, but has anyone skied the old bright green Rossi squads in 184 (not the complete planky 189/191s) and these 97s?

Considering picking up a pair as a replacement of sorts on the cheap as my low-tide ski.

The Blizzard Bonafide 97 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post
    Shot in the dark, but has anyone skied the old bright green Rossi squads in 184 (not the complete planky 189/191s) and these 97s?

Considering picking up a pair as a replacement of sorts on the cheap as my low-tide ski.
    I have. Had the 184 Squad way back when. The Squad was a lot more ski than the 183 B97 I own. The Squad was a bit too stiff for my liking and the B97 is more manageable and more willing to get into a short/medium turn radius versus the Squad.

The B97 has a good bit of backbone, but I don’t find it to the some monster of a ski like some of the reviews suggest. Something like the Volkl M102 is closer to a more modern interpretation of the Squad in a more accessible, more manageable form.

My official B97 review: ski with very good technique 100% of the time, not a monster truck. Ski with very good technique 90% of the time, monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I have. Had the 184 Squad way back when. The Squad was a lot more ski than the 183 B97 I own. The Squad was a bit too stiff for my liking and the B97 is more manageable and more willing to get into a short/medium turn radius versus the Squad.

The B97 has a good bit of backbone, but I don’t find it to the some monster of a ski like some of the reviews suggest. Something like the Volkl M102 is closer to a more modern interpretation of the Squad in a more accessible, more manageable form.
    Super helpful - thank you!

Is monster truck a bad thing? The ski’s definitely don’t like back seat drivers but I like to monster truck over bad snow and they do that nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    My official B97 review: ski with very good technique 100% of the time, not a monster truck. Ski with very good technique 90% of the time, monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Dang I kinda want a 177…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Until you see where the bindings should go

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen