Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Until you see where the bindings should go

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    Exactly. I was kidding. I think. My Enforcer 88s are at -7 and that’s crazy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Is monster truck a bad thing? The ski’s definitely don’t like back seat drivers but I like to monster truck over bad snow and they do that nicely.
    i think it comes down to whether or not you need to be able to parallel park

😂😂 I love this ski. But for me, not for every day duty.

The Blizzard Bonafide 97 Thread

fwiw i bought those cheap 188 brahma over the 189 bone cause a few of you fuckers gave me some FUD fog

so i’m making sure some other sap reading also misses out on what i’m sure are great skis if you can ski

….as i ride off into the sunset on my OG 193 cochise lmao

Thanks to Bandit Man for sharing the deal. Showed up today!

They feel... burly. Side view I see 3 sheets of metal in the binding area. That is a lot of ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230315_030704482.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	451882

So I have been having analysis paralysis on this one for a while.

I'm 5'9", 160ish, ski old skool racer style, like traditionally mounted skis and driving the tips. Been skiing old 10+ yrs old Stockli Stormrider 95's 183cm (before they got soft) for this slot for a while. Also have Monster 98's in a 183cm. So Jonathon at Blister weighs more than me and traditionally likes bigger skis but says you don't need more than the 177cm which gave me pause? Do I go 177cm or 183cm? Everything I own is 183cm +/-. Legend Pro 105's, QLabs, Praxis Comish pro-model (RX w/ more tip rocker, way backward mount)

Thoughts?

I'm adding based on the below questions. I like the feel of the Monster 98's, but find the large amount of sidecut in the tip to make it a little grabby or maybe need to detune the tip more? Don't love it in tight, bumpy stuff, but I ski Mammoth so don't have much of that. Love it for carving up groomers when it hasn't snowed much. Would want it shorter in CO or other places with trees and/or bumps.
    Last edited by comish; 03-15-2023 at 04:15 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post

I'm 5'9", 160ish, ski old skool racer style, like traditionally mounted skis. Been skiing old 10+ yrs old Stockli Stormrider 95's 183cm for this slot for a while. Also have Monster 98's in a 183cm. So Jonathon at Blister weighs more than me and traditionally likes bigger skis but says you don't need more than the 177cm which gave me pause? Do I go 177cm or 183cm? Everything I own is 183cm +/-. Legend Pro 105's, QLabs, Praxis Comish pro-model (RX w/ more tip rocker, way backward mount)

Thoughts?
    Size the same as the monster IMO

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post

I'm 5'9", 160ish, ski old skool racer style, like traditionally mounted skis. Been skiing old 10+ yrs old Stockli Stormrider 95's 183cm for this slot for a while. Also have Monster 98's in a 183cm. So Jonathon at Blister weighs more than me and traditionally likes bigger skis but says you don't need more than the 177cm which gave me pause? Do I go 177cm or 183cm? Everything I own is 183cm +/-. Legend Pro 105's, QLabs, Praxis Comish pro-model (RX w/ more tip rocker, way backward mount)

Thoughts?
    I think it depends if you want more of a DD or more of a rocket ski. If you'd ski the 183s as a DD at 160lbs hats off.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    I think it depends if you want more of a DD or more of a rocket ski. If you'd ski the 183s as a DD at 160lbs hats off.
    i have the 183s at 190# 6'1" and it feels like the longest, most powerful ski i own. The rest of my skis are no shorter than 188, fwiw....

I don’t think blister has skied the 97 in a 183 and I wish they would. I am a lot bigger than you and find the 189s quite tame as long as you can drive the tips. I have been happy with mine at alpental with tighter terrain but weight hesitate on a bigger mountain and go for a longer radius. At 160 you should ski some r99 AM too, they were too soft for my 205lbs but the shape is dialed.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I don’t think blister has skied the 97 in a 183 and I wish they would. I am a lot bigger than you and find the 189s quite tame as long as you can drive the tips. I have been happy with mine at alpental with tighter terrain but weight hesitate on a bigger mountain and go for a longer radius. At 160 you should ski some r99 AM too, they were too soft for my 205lbs but the shape is dialed.
    Same for the 183’s. They are good skis and on the burly side, but certainly not the beasts that Blister claims they are.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I love my 189s and picked up the 183s during the corbetts sale because n+1, but have little time on them. I sold my monster 98s bc I thought these were much better all rounders and I thought I'd have the monsters forever.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I love my 189s and picked up the 183s during the corbetts sale because n+1, but have little time on them. I sold my monster 98s bc I thought these were much better all rounders and I thought I'd have the monsters forever.

What size Monsters and how do your 183's compare? What do you like more and why?
    He who has the most fun wins!

The 183 B97 is about the same amount of ski as the 184 monster 98, a touch heavier but way way better off piste IMO because of the touch of early rise/rocker, and they are almost as damp and smooth like legend pros but our friend carbon comes to the party as well.

But, they are way more supple in the tip than the monsters (and more stout in the tip than LP105s). They've just felt like a very confidence inspiring-type ski to me, with plenty of effective edge the second I roll them over.

This to me is what the carbon Cochise should have been as a 97, a better version of that ski with a slightly softer tip, some energy out of the turn/tail but more quiet and smooth.
    Last edited by bry; 03-15-2023 at 07:24 PM.

I have the 177 mounted on the line and the 183 mounted +1, and prefer the 183 most of the time (5'8" and ~170) with the edge bevels at 1 and 2 and tips dulled back about 2" past the contact point. The 183 on the line with stock tune (1 and 2.8-ish) and sharp to the tip was kind of a handful for me, the 177 on the line with stock tune felt fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I have the 177 mounted on the line and the 183 mounted +1, and prefer the 183 most of the time (5'8" and ~170) with the edge bevels at 1 and 2 and tips dulled back about 2" past the contact point. The 183 on the line with stock tune (1 and 2.8-ish) and sharp to the tip was kind of a handful for me, the 177 on the line with stock tune felt fine.
    I think GregL calls out a good point on the 183. I also did some aggressive tuning to the tips and tails and about 2” inside the contact points. It made the ski easier to disengage and manage in heavy, deep coastal snow.

Well, I hope I don't regret the 177. Based on earlier feedback I don't expect to.

Should get them mounted and out this weekend.

Had a full day on the 177's yesterday. Conditions were super smooth groomers with really good snow, so probably not the best conditions to understand their limits and smoothness in chop.

In just a few shaded areas that were a tad bumpy when snow was pushed around, they remained very solid even when I could feel some bumps.
    Off piste was frozen crust heavy snow which was very difficult to turn in. I don't think I can fault the skis for this but my technique or just snow that nobody wants to be in.

The edge hold is incredible when leaning over. I could also lean into a stop as hard as possible and there was zero chatter or uncertainty.

My only complaint is the turning radius. I don't know why they designed it to be so small? I wanted to make larger, faster arcing carve turns but they turned a bit tighter than I would have liked. They do turn on rails though.
    Unsure 183 vs 177 would make a huge difference (1.5m). But I also think I could have gone with 183?

I did find them very easy to ski – I was concerned about this from what some reviews wrote. Required very little warm up time on them, and no observed speed limit on these conditions.

Overall pleased with them.

I think they truly set out to make distinct skis for the different sizes in the range for better or worse. Each is supposed to have their own differentiated flex, turn radius and amount of camber, for example. The 183 has more camber than the 189, and I think the 177 as well?

And then this year with the red running through the topsheets 2022-23 they have a thinner core and less rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post

And then this year with the red running through the topsheets 2022-23 they have a thinner core and less rubber.

Good info, thanks man! I noticed Sooth Ski's 22/23 189s are 155 grams lighter than my 21/22s, but haven't skied new stock, so kept my trap shut. Looking forward to a comparison between 189 B97s and Heritage Lab 188 R99 Comps, should any mags manage to get time on both. Crushed some corn on my pair today, almost time to add in some MTB and spring touring to the weekly routine. Gotta love spring.

The 22/23 version is a bit different than the previous two years. They’re the same shape but they thinned the core profile by a small amount in the tip and tail and also removed two small strips of rubber that were under the edges of the topsheet that ran tip to tail.

It was a considerable improvement to the existing ski without changing the shape and rocker profile. They’re much easier to break loose when you need to than the previous two years. Just feel less “locked” especially off trail. No less grip but much easier to manipulate turn shape. A little more lively in and out of the turn.

Hopped on the Corbetts deal @ 183cm bc I have perfectly matched STH2s NIB & Joey is a terrible influence.

Went 183 over 177 @ 145 lbs for a DD mostly bc of my views that a short/fat option just fails to run as smoothly as a longer variant.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    The 22/23 version is a bit different than the previous two years. They’re the same shape but they thinned the core profile by a small amount in the tip and tail and also removed two small strips of rubber that were under the edges of the topsheet that ran tip to tail.

It was a considerable improvement to the existing ski without changing the shape and rocker profile. They’re much easier to break loose when you need to than the previous two years. Just feel less “locked” especially off trail. No less grip but much easier to manipulate turn shape. A little more lively in and out of the turn.
    Thanks for those data points. That’s exactly how I would describe how they ski. I was perplexed by the lively yet more manageable nature of the ski. The changes to the build can definitely be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Thanks for those data points. That’s exactly how I would describe how they ski. I was perplexed by the lively yet more manageable nature of the ski. The changes to the build can definitely be felt.
    I was very surprised hand flexing the 2023. Had just offloaded my 2021 version and the current year seemed like a much nicer flexing ski. If I had to guess I think the tips and tails flex softer than my m102 and m6, but the middle of the b97 is still stiffer than those. Makes me want to pick up the 183 2023 on close out REEAAAL bad and maybe mount +1 or 2.

I guess I overlooked the fact that the Bonafide changed from 21 to 22... but it looks like the radius remained unchanged at least for 177.