Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

105 waist touring ski shootout?

I've been skiing the 180 Zero G 105 for a couple years now, and I'm curious about some of the other options in the 100-105 width. Several options seem VERY similar, curious if anyone can provide some input here.

Zero G 105: 133 105 119 (1510g @ 180) OR 135 105 120 (1630g @ 188)
    Elan Ripsick Tour 104: 129 104 122 (1550g @ 187)
    Scott Superguide Freetour: 136 105 124 (1610g @ 185)
    Armada Locator 104: 132 104 123 (1510g @ 186)
    ON3P Woodsman 102 tour: 131 102 122 (1620 @182)
    4FRNT Raven: 121 104 112 (1827g @ 184)

Anyone skied these? Anything else I'm missing? The purpose of this thread is to discuss this general category of touring ski and what people here tend to like.

I'm personally looking for a spring touring ski that I'm comfortable jump turning in firm, steep snow. So my preferences are:
    - low 180s cm (straight tape) length
    - NOT pin tailed
    - progressive mount point
    - torsionally stiff

I find the Zero G 105 is a little more pin tailed than I would prefer.

On paper, the Elan Ripstick Tour 104 seems great dimensionally, but I haven't skied an Elan ski in a long long time. The Woodsman 102 tour has definitely piqued my interest, but I'd like less rocker and I'm unsure about torsional stability.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

How about the 184 Raven?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    How about the 184 Raven?
    yeah, good call. I'll add it to the above, but I don't really want full reverse camber for a firm-snow touring ski. And I was looking for more like 1600g than 1830g. Most of the above are all in the 1600g range. Plus, it seems pretty pintailed to me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

179 Sierra tour? Seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for and I'm a big fan of the DWT. Progressive mount, no pintail, floats above its waist width, and triple camber grips great on the skin track

132-104-124, 1535g

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    yeah, good call. I'll add it to the above, but I don't really want full reverse camber for a firm-snow touring ski. And I was looking for more like 1600g than 1830g. Most of the above are all in the 1600g range.
    I felt that way but used my Ravens for spring touring last spring. They’re really good in firm, funky snow and corn. Of course they’re awesome in spring powder. You could probably save some grams by lopping some tail off. They have a really long tail spacer with no edge so you can do that easily. It might be intentional

I can't speak to the Woods 102 or any of the other skis on your list.

I bought a Woodsman 108 Tour a couple years ago. It was right when they went from the 108 to the 110 so it has the 108 shape but the updated 110 core profile (flex). I went with that ski over the 102 because I wanted a longer turning radius. I haven't had a chance to ski it a lot, but did get a couple days on them in pretty typical CO spring conditions on Savage and Huron two years ago. You know, a bit of firm, a bit of perfect corn, a bit of avy debris chunder, a bit of overripe slush, etc. I found the edgehold and torsional stiffness totally adequate in the firm and chunder, and the extra rocker actually pretty nice in the softer areas and helps them pivot easily. I also really liked how easy they are to ski from a centered stance with very light boots (TLT6P) and how easy to maneuver they are. I've always skied more traditional, rear mounted, more heavily cambered skis for this quiver slot before and am really glad that I went with a more progressive shape - the softer boots just were never able to drive a more traditional ski well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	192249976_10159524996369540_8451837464572336131_n.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	446630

Enforcer unlimited 104

If looking for a firm snow ski, I would go narrower, like 90-100. K2 Wayback 96 is a nice ski that I find easy to use in firm spring snow. I hear less grip than the Zero G 95. There is also a Wayback in a wider waist if you are set on that.

If you’re primarily skiing firm steep snow, I’d take the Raven off your list. I have them and they’re a riot in soft / 3D snow, but they do not have the same edge hold that (some) traditional camber will afford you. I want instant bite on a ski for this purpose. A super similar shape (although one I haven’t tried) is the dispatch 101. It comes with _some_ camber, but retains the shape and target audience of the Raven (IMHO).

That said - I’ll echo Kamtron above - consider some skis under 100 underfoot if this ski is part of a quiver. Depending on your height, also consider going shorter than normal (I ski 184’s in most of my resort / everyday skis and opted for a 178 couloir ski. Do not regret anything). Depending on the Rocker / Tip profile - 90-100ish underfoot skis still do fantastic in soft boot-top pow. Personally I’ve found progressive mounts (ie further forward than -6 from center) can make jump turns a bit harder, as you expend a bit more effort getting your tails up and around (when the slope is steep)

My personal favourite steep ski is still the Majesty Superwolf. Still very easy to pivot for a directional ski, surprisingly damp for its weight. Skis soft snow fairly well due to a generous tip rocker.

If you wanted to go wider, friends ski (and love) the UBAC 95. I also hear the UBAC 102 is a solid option - but nothing firsthand.

All that said, the Dispatch 101 seems to mesh best with your preferences.

Ah, also the WNDR Vital 100 was a surprise favourite of mine in some testing I did last year. Heavy, but confidence inspiring.

Kastle TX 103, Line Sick Day 104, BC Navis Freebird. Typically people aren't using this waist width as a dedicated spring ski. I'm a big fan of the sick day which is my daily driver touring ski.

Have only skied the Zero G 105 (several pairs) and the Elan Ripstick Tour 104 on your list and vastly prefer the ZG. Armada Locator 104 should be on your radar, too.

Ahhh, the Locator 104 is on your list, I've skied it and it's very good.
    Last edited by gregL; 02-07-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Another vote for the Majesty Superwolf. It's a great all-rounder, and would be a perfect thinner ski in a quiver in PNW or similar region.

I've got some Wayback 84s for icy conditions, and they're pretty sweet too. Sub-100mm is definitely what you're looking for.

BC Solis. Def heavier than others, but bullet proof and 25m radius. Look for old black one for sale?

I really enjoy BMT94s for spring skiing. They are freaking magical in corn and are fun on hard snow if you rail the sidecut. BMT109s are super fun for that kind of skiing too. I mounted my 186 94s at +1, where they were great. I am about to mount a pair of 176s and will probably go with the line.

Woods102s are super fun too. While they are a riot in soft snow I still have yet to figure them out on hard snow - unsure if it is tune related or flex pattern related. I've just had them retuned though, so that could help reesolvee matters. They made me understand why some people like narrower skis for soft snow - they are really fun in soft and denser, sunbaked but still fast snow.

I did not care for Ravens at all, except for in deeper snow where I frankly have other skis I prefer - I do not need a 104mm ski to ski pow.

Locators seem very interesting.

I nearly bought some Solis a few years back - super interesting ski for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    BC Solis. Def heavier than others, but bullet proof and 25m radius. Look for old black one for sale?
    I was looking at those but the AM R99 in 180 would be just as good imo, almost half the price too. I’m daily driving the 188s now and they’re probably my favorite ski in the quiver

But for steep firm I think the AM R87 would be amazing. That or next season’s HSL C90

I'm on the Atomic Backland 107 and am happy with it.

I own the regular (non-tour) Elan Ripstick 106, 188. Actual length is 184 fyi

I have the Ripstick Tour 104, mounting shortly with ATK 14s. So haven’t been out on them yet.

As I also have 4FRNT Ravens with Duke PTs. Which are a great bc ski. Considered selling the Ripstick Torus and getting a second Raven for the ATKs…Ravens are that good. WNDR skis would be good too I think.

KC

Last edited by kc_7777; 02-07-2023 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks for WNDR 100 suggestion! That ski was not on my radar and seems like it fits the bill pretty ... except weight. But I'm working hard on my fitness so hopefully less of an issue in the future.

Maybe I'll just remount my Zero G 105 further forward for the time being.

photos

Check out @gnarlyroot on IG. He’s a prominent ski mountaineer in town and is sponsored by WNDR. He’s got some great edits of him taking the vitals in to some pretty spicy places. He runs his with Plum R170’s.

I can confirm they ski shit snow very well. Swing weight feels fine too. Honestly if you were considering a Raven these are in the same ballpark - but should be more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Honestly if you were considering a Raven these are in the same ballpark - but should be more versatile.
    I was not considering the Raven when I made my first post. I was originally looking for something in the 1600g range.

The point of this thread, which is centered around me now, was to discuss the plethora of lightish touring skis in the 100-105 waist range. I suspect the thread will die, as it's become more of a "what ski for me" than I had originally intended.

photos

I love reading these kinds of threads.
    watch out for snakes

this thread is just what I need right now - in the same market for 100-105 ski in the 1600g range for touring

I just mounted a Black Crows Navis Freebird 102 underfoot, weighed in at 1750g in 185cm. Not super lightweight but I think they’ll ski well. I’ll report back.

Camox Freebird could be interesting and lighter. 95mm underfoot and probably in the 1600g range.

Think the Blaze 106 should probably also go on the consideration list, especially given the price. Good sticks