Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going to Tahiti?

Getting hitched, and we’re going to elope. Just us. October-ish.

We are looking for something quiet on the beach. We kind of picked Tahiti out of a hat in early discussions, and at this point it’s gained a lot of steam for no particular reason, which is plenty of reason for me.

As to planning, I’m looking for suggestions and I’m a bit of a travel JONG. Tips on airfare (all across the board for pricing and travel time… do I buy now? Do I wait?)? Any hotel/resort recommendations? Has anybody here done this? She has suggested a travel agent or similar…. Is that still a thing that makes sense?

Thanks all!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

We are looking for something quiet on the beach. We kind of picked Tahiti out of a hat in early discussions, and at this point it’s gained a lot of steam for no particular reason, which is plenty of reason for me.

As to planning, I’m looking for suggestions and I’m a bit of a travel JONG. Tips on airfare (all across the board for pricing and travel time… do I buy now? Do I wait?)? Any hotel/resort recommendations? Has anybody here done this? She has suggested a travel agent or similar…. Is that still a thing that makes sense?

Thanks all!
    I was there decades ago .. i stayed at a place named.the Royal Papeete hotel.....this was in July for the annual Bastille day festival..which lasted for 2 weeks... A great time!....a ride to a.restuarant towards the top of the island was worth the time for the views..then I walked.back to the coast..a nice hike....also worth renting a car and driving around the island.. ....could be some surf contests happening at Teahopu when you are there.....when I was there most people rode a shuttle called Le Bus..basically riding in the back of a extended pickup truck with bench seat.......try Google flights for plane fares.. I think I read that there is some competition now for flights from west coast of usa... Also..when I left Tahiti I flew to Honolulu ... If you have the time maybe combo the 2 destinations?....maybe fly to Honolulu first then Papeete if there is some.kind of airfare deal?.. If you have any French language skills it will be more enjoyable... Away from Tahiti,.the other French Polynesian islands there are quieter and laid back.

Going to Tahiti?

We did our honeymoon in Tahiti. Couple nights on Tahiti then a week on Moorea. We did a travel agent. You could arrange local travel and everything but it was nice just having it all setup. Costco travel is another option. If you can swing it, get an overwater bungalow. Also, plan to do some snorkeling, hiking, and island exploration cause it’s really cool over there.

The resort was nice but the highlight was going to local hangouts for dinner and drinking. We befriended the tattoo guy at the resort, bought him drinks until he started preaching about the Babylon System. He gave us some great tips and showed us around a little. We had a blast hanging with locals watching local bands. Even scored some weed. The people are awesome.

If I was going back, we’d do at least two weeks and hit up Huahini for part of it for a more laid back, less resorty experience.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Congrats !

I’ve got zero Tahiti info, but wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Air Tahiti just started flying direct from Seatt a couple months ago and has been selling $700 RT tickets. I was trying to convince my wife to go, but unsuccessful so far. I think it's an intro price, so if your tickets include that flight you should buy now before they start jacking the price. Then come back and give us the tips!

Eloping. Just the two of you.

We are all going to tahititi! Sweet!

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

you won't find much in the way of nice beaches on tahiti or for that matter any island in french polynesia. all of the islands are surrounded by coral reef and have large lagoons between island and reef so you dont get much sand production except near reef passes. on tahiti one of the reef passes has a bit of beach at papara which is also a mellowish surf spot. tahiti is certainly beautiful and worth a visit but go to moorea or bora bora. moorea is only an hour ferry from papeete and has some nicer beaches like temae beach or the hilton beach. can recommend the hilton we stayed in an over water bungalow which was incredible with fantastic snorkelling right off bungalow. very pricey and worth every penny. if you can swing it go to bora bora its beyond amazing. its an hour flight from papeete and you take a boat taxi to your hotel. can recommend sofitel private island. adults only and has one of the best snorkelling spots and a nice little beach to chill on if you dont get the overwater bungalow.

Congrats!

Expecting some sick POV footy from inside the barrel at Chopes.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I copied this part of Chasing Epic's honeymoon for my honeymoon. We went over Thanksgiving week about 9 years ago:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ench-Polynesia

Book ended with a day on each side on the main island.

Couple things to add. Rent a scooter for a day, fun to zip around the small island. Do the full day boat tour.

Get off the main island and go to Maupiti. Been six times, feel free to hit me up. If you want true adventure and isolation go to Fakarava.

Sounds awesome. I think I'll also be on the elope plan at some point. I don't have any Tahiti recommendations but I'd try to find a way to fly for "free" by opening a credit card or two, and use my cash to get nicer accommodations, or vice versa. For example someone mentioned SEA-PPT on Alaska. You could open one of the Alaska credit cards for $95 and get enough miles for one of you to fly r/t (economy) from the West Coast. Maybe you each open one? Similar opportunities for other airlines. Obviously all dependent on your credit and ability to meet the spending requirements without overextending yourself, etc.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Thanks all!
    Sounds like a great trip, but planning for it 8 mos in advance doesn't seem like eloping.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Sounds like a great trip, but planning for it 8 mos in advance doesn't seem like eloping.
    Doesn’t have to be a surprise. Call it what you want, though, we aren’t worrying about anybody else when it comes to planning this.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Sounds awesome. I think I'll also be on the elope plan at some point. I don't have any Tahiti recommendations but I'd try to find a way to fly for "free" by opening a credit card or two, and use my cash to get nicer accommodations, or vice versa. For example someone mentioned SEA-PPT on Alaska. You could open one of the Alaska credit cards for $95 and get enough miles for one of you to fly r/t (economy) from the West Coast. Maybe you each open one? Similar opportunities for other airlines. Obviously all dependent on your credit and ability to meet the spending requirements without overextending yourself, etc.
    Good thoughts. Thanks!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post
    Get off the main island and go to Maupiti. Been six times, feel free to hit me up. If you want true adventure and isolation go to Fakarava.

PM incoming. Quiet is what we want. “Tahiti” is just meant to be general area. I know embarrassingly little about it.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post

Having been to Tahiti I think this is great advice. Tahiti is not like it’s image.

Is it really eloping if you tell the Mag collective?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Is it really eloping if you tell the Mag collective?
    I hope so.

Any insight into days for flights and when to book?
    focus.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    congratulations! Travel agent? Ok, Boomer ChatGPT is your friend, and soon to be available the new Bing, which will skip the step of cut/pasting chatGPT recommendations into a browser.

I hope so.

Any insight into days for flights and when to book?
    Not really - I'm a "mountains, not beaches" kind of derelict, and luckily, so is my wife. Congrats though - I wish we had just taken the cash we spent on the wedding and did something EPIC - but we recently celebrated 20 years together, so I guess it all worked out...

Good luck, sir!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Congrats !

I’ve got zero Tahiti info, but wish you the best.

If I can piggy back of of this, Yeah, same. Congrats Dude, I'm sure you'll enjoy anywhere you end up but Tahiti's a gotta be a great starting point!

Have fun!!

Take look at Moorea. Stayed at Cook's Bay and paddled across the Bay in an outrigger canoe for food and booze runs

Bumping this thread to ask if OP had a good time?

Looking at French Polynesia for a honeymoon this coming fall.

We actually bailed on Tahiti and hit Fiji instead. They speak English and it was easier to make headway. Tahiti looks rad but a little too much adventure for this adventure. We’ll hit it someday soon.
    focus.