Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I've been very happy with my Salomon MTNs with brakes, nobody has mentioned yet that the brake gives your heel something to sit on, and I think it skis a little better. Brakes are way more convenient than leashes (or nothing). Yes you could get lighter, but my newest touring setup is already so much lighter than Coombacks and Vertical STs I was happy with 15 years ago, not to mention how much boots have improved.

I haven't heard about this Achilles thing but I don't see why they'd be worse than any other u-spring binding. Crashing hard on touring gear is dangerous.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I haven't heard about this Achilles thing but I don't see why they'd be worse than any other u-spring binding. Crashing hard on touring gear is dangerous.

so does one set up a binding to fall off or to break body parts but be really light ? I recently heard AT bindings refered to as safety or not, so YMMV but from my POV unless maybe you are a rando racer all U spring bindings suck

I run a 7 horizontal/ 8 vertical on Vertical or Rad probably same on an ION, they do release reliably but I think those values that puts me between U springs so the technology to be safer has been available for many years

Instead I remember wildsnow buddy grinding a U spring to adj release values
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-06-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Rectum, damn near killed him!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    *rim shot*
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I've been very happy with my Salomon MTNs with brakes, nobody has mentioned yet that the brake gives your heel something to sit on, and I think it skis a little better. Brakes are way more convenient than leashes (or nothing). Yes you could get lighter, but my newest touring setup is already so much lighter than Coombacks and Vertical STs I was happy with 15 years ago, not to mention how much boots have improved.
    I bet the brakes do ski better, but I have several friends with the brake version of MTNs and all of them have had trouble with the brakes not staying up while touring to varying degrees. First day out on new bindings, my touring partner could not get the brakes to stay up after one transition, had to resort to voile straps. Second day out they worked for the first half of the day and then started popping out again. Seems to happen on one ski worse than the other, but it also seems like the friction fit design is kinda poor once the binding gets lubed up with snow, not quite enough grip to overcome the springs. The bindings seem legit otherwise but I would stay away from the braked version for now.

Does Plum manufacture the Mtn for Amer?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    So you are wondering what are overpriced, no good for a heavy load, get shitty mileage, and can be sold for a ton when they are clapped out?

It actually does sound like CAST.
    As a Tacoma and CAST owner, this speaks to me

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Does Plum manufacture the Mtn for Amer?
    I believe Plum makes the toes, the heels are made by Salomon in Romania.

Speed Turn 2.0. Currently $180 on Telemark Pyrenees. Indestructible. Heavy-ish. Terrible pin delta (mandatory toe piece shim). Tallest risers in the universe which can only be operated by people with a brain (if you need flippy risers you will die with the SpeedTurn).
    Worst best binding Dynafit has ever made, and they won't die.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Speed Turn 2.0. Currently $180 on Telemark Pyrenees. Indestructible. Heavy-ish. Terrible pin delta (mandatory toe piece shim). Tallest risers in the universe which can only be operated by people with a brain (if you need flippy risers you will die with the SpeedTurn).
    I haven’t looked at Dynafit stuff in years, but this seems like a great simple binding.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I haven’t looked at Dynafit stuff in years, but this seems like a great simple binding.
    I spend about half my time on them and honestly have 0 complaints. I have a lighter fancier pair of clamps on another setup and can't tell the difference in how they ski. People love to hate on them but they work which is all I care about when it comes to tech binding on pow sticks. Current pair is on its 3rd set of skis, conservative estimate of 250 days of use and abuse. They keep on trucking.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This is absolutely, 100% the answer, IMHO.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Page 2/ - just sayin.....

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I bet the brakes do ski better, but I have several friends with the brake version of MTNs and all of them have had trouble with the brakes not staying up while touring to varying degrees. First day out on new bindings, my touring partner could not get the brakes to stay up after one transition, had to resort to voile straps. Second day out they worked for the first half of the day and then started popping out again. Seems to happen on one ski worse than the other, but it also seems like the friction fit design is kinda poor once the binding gets lubed up with snow, not quite enough grip to overcome the springs. The bindings seem legit otherwise but I would stay away from the braked version for now.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of any brake issues before. Lots of my customers have multiple pairs with 300 days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Interesting. I’ve never heard of any brake issues before. Lots of my customers have multiple pairs with 300 days on them.
    Same. I know 5 people running MTNs with brakes (myself included). No issues

The only accidental brake deployment i have had (maybe 2 times total in the last 2 or 3 yrs ) with my MTN's, happened when I botched a kick turn and accidentally stepped on a brake arm with the other ski.

My only beef with MTNs is the lifters going all floppy floppy loose after about a hundred days. I’ve tried to buy new top plates from salomon and they won’t sell direct. Told me to go to a dealer; dealer said they can’t get the part from salomon but they can order me new bindings

Not a great solution after a season and a half of use, it’s got me looking elsewhere.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    My only beef with MTNs is the lifters going all floppy floppy loose after about a hundred days. I’ve tried to buy new top plates from salomon and they won’t sell direct. Told me to go to a dealer; dealer said they can’t get the part from salomon but they can order me new bindings

Not a great solution after a season and a half of use, it’s got me looking elsewhere.

Mine just barely started doing this. So far, I think it's just one binding doing it, and only the mid riser. I estimate closer to 200 days on them though.

I’ve got an older set of speed turns mounted on Praxis Yeti’s. Anyone have experience adding a atk universal freeride spacer to speed turns? I was about to change to some marker alpinist. I just really hate how vague the feel is in the heel of speed turns and have zero trust in them as I can easily twist my boot out with binding set to 10. I have shimmed the toes, as the ramp angle was unskiable. Does the freeride spacer help the heel feel? I’ve also contemplated adding a washer or 2 inside the heel housing to increase side release retention, seem to remember Hoji did something like this when he first started skiing dynafit bindings (we really need another ask a Hoji thread). Or do I just mount some alpinist?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums