Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BOA Alpine

BOA Alpine

Well, who’s going to give them a go first? I have seen a lot of broken BOA snowboard boots, but these are supposed to be more stout and a different with the micro adjust.

Will they be on World Cup feet as predicted?

https://gearjunkie.com/winter/skiing...pine-ski-boots
    "Let's be careful out there."

i'd be all in if I had $800 to drop on boots. Onenerdykid on the gear 30 podcast has me bought in.

I can't say I'll be an early adopter. Maybe it'll be a great a development, but I'll wait and see.

If a boot buckle breaks, its pretty easy to get replaced. Imagine trying to re-thread the boa cord...
    I think this is gonna be like "intergrated bindings". Seems like a good idea at first glance. But then realize it's really just marketing causing you to buy new more often, rather than keep old gear going.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Boa cord is supposed to be edge proof, and dial is beefy. I like the idea, and spreading out the pressure is definitely better, but I can’t get my Scarpa F1 LT boa tighter after a certain point. Slippery gloves, or it stops, whatever. Need to see them skied by people I trust first.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Am I wrong that it just adjusts the toe? Seems like a complicated solution to a not a problem.

Everyone needs to read through ONK's atomic boot thread and listen to the podcast before they rush to judgements on the BOA debuts.

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/g...systems-ep-232

I think he's been convincingly forthright and acted in good faith towards the consumer through all his online/podcast interactions and I'm willing to trust his experience and expertise on this development.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    If a boot buckle breaks, its pretty easy to get replaced. Imagine trying to re-thread the boa cord...
    I think this is gonna be like "intergrated bindings". Seems like a good idea at first glance. But then realize it's really just marketing causing you to buy new more often, rather than keep old gear going.

Re-threading the BOA cable is as easy as replacing a derailleur cable on a bike, it even looks similar. It's easier and less time consuming than drilling out a riveted-on buckle. Everything is attached to the shell externally and with screwed hardware. Never riveted.

You're going to be seeing a big push from Atomic in terms of spare part simplicity and access for the purpose of keeping your old gear going. This is part of a larger, overarching sustainability program we are rolling out and will be very committed to.

BOA is in too vulnerable a spot for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675446762.184936.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	445944

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Boa cord is supposed to be edge proof, and dial is beefy. I like the idea, and spreading out the pressure is definitely better, but I can’t get my Scarpa F1 LT boa tighter after a certain point. Slippery gloves, or it stops, whatever. Need to see them skied by people I trust first.
    This BOA will over-tighten your boots- it's that strong but that's not the point of it. The gearing that this system has is far greater than what the M-series dials (think snowboarding or touring boots) use. It's partly why the system is the size that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Am I wrong that it just adjusts the toe? Seems like a complicated solution to a not a problem.
    It adjusts the lower shell. On one hand it is more complicated than buckles, but it does bring a better fit to the table vs. buckles. I wouldn't view it as solving a problem but rather it is being a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    It adjusts the lower shell. On one hand it is more complicated than buckles, but it does bring a better fit to the table vs. buckles. I wouldn't view it as solving a problem but rather it is being a better solution.
    I am missing how it can adjust my "top bottom" buckle area- the one that pulls my heal down and back a bit, differently than the toe buckle area (bottom bottom)/

I usually have the first cranked to the max and the later flapping like a new-schooler's jersey.

Is there adjustment in the part that looks like a buckle but isn't for that?

I'll def try 'em on but I am not buying them until they have been out in the world for a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I am missing how it can adjust my "top bottom" buckle area- the one that pulls my heal down and back a bit, differently than the toe buckle area (bottom bottom)/

I usually have the first cranked to the max and the later flapping like a new-schooler's jersey.

Is there adjustment in the part that looks like a buckle but isn't for that?

I'll def try 'em on but I am not buying them until they have been out in the world for a good long time.
    Wildsnow talks about the toe buckle being useless all the time, and how he removes it and/or moves the top bottom buckle back to pull his heel back. I agree. I want a buckle that pulls my heel back and locks it down. Full tilt style.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Wildsnow talks about the toe buckle being useless all the time, and how he removes it and/or moves the top bottom buckle back to pull his heel back. I agree. I want a buckle that pulls my heel back and locks it down. Full tilt style.
    Depends on your foot. I have narrow toes. I went back to 4 buckle overlap this year and I love it. So much more precise. The lower cuff buckle pulls things together heal hold wise just great for me.

This BOA shit kinda reminds me of the old Salomon boots with laces. They were pretty low end. I suppose it could work if you have a good snug fit in the clog on the boot so you don't have to tighten it much.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

After cracking my Salomon S/max's this weekend, I checked out the S/Pro Supra with BOA. The boot fitter said Solly combined the S/Max and S/Pro into the Supra. I think those boots differ by the instep (could be wrong). I have one wide foot and have to go with a narrow boot or the other foot is swimming. Had a LOT of work on my S/Max's - 6-8 trips to the fitter to get them dialed. The Supra with BOA felt great right out of the box on BOTH feet. Would prob need to shave the boot board on one boot a hair but otherwise both felt great.

Before trying them on, I had the same thought as above - what problem is this solving? How is it different than buckles? The BOA appears to allow you to shrink the last to your foot width. For someone with two different lasts, it felt great. That said - I'm more than a little reluctant to spend $750 on new ski tech. Would love to hear some real world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    After cracking my Salomon S/max's this weekend, I checked out the S/Pro Supra with BOA. The boot fitter said Solly combined the S/Max and S/Pro into the Supra. I think those boots differ by the instep (could be wrong). I have one wide foot and have to go with a narrow boot or the other foot is swimming. Had a LOT of work on my S/Max's - 6-8 trips to the fitter to get them dialed. The Supra with BOA felt great right out of the box on BOTH feet. Would prob need to shave the boot board on one boot a hair but otherwise both felt great.

Before trying them on, I had the same thought as above - what problem is this solving? How is it different than buckles? The BOA appears to allow you to shrink the last to your foot width. For someone with two different lasts, it felt great. That said - I'm more than a little reluctant to spend $750 on new ski tech. Would love to hear some real world experience.
    real world experience here with the k2 recon 130 boa. Multiple trips on them now and couldn’t be happier. As you mentioned the fit is unreal compared to a buckle boot. It is different and it is better. More secure and for my foot much more comfortable. At this point I’ve needed no shell work out of the box. I did head mold the liners. Currently running super feet liners but want to go custom.

the durability as also been fantastic. I’ve knocked them around, smacked the boa dial and no issues. I gave one a fairly good whack while skiing in trees. Was coming pretty quick and got thrown off line by a branch which made me smack into a low hanging thicker branch. Nailed the binding first then it continued into the boot and nailed the boa cable and dial hard. I ended up taking wood with me in my binding screw and boot dial. The dial never popped off and didn’t get any physical damage other than a rub mark. Cable was also fine. The cable is very thick and can only be cut with wire cutters.

if you need to replace it all parts are free from boa. You can do a request directly on the site. It’s extremely easy if needed and replacement of the parts is also very easy to do.

price at the moment is for sure an issue since boa is the new hotness. That being said if you pay attention deals are to be had. During the holidays Corbetts in Canada had all the new boa stuff on deep discount. I paid $480 shipped for my 24 recon boas after the sale and exchange rate to the states.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4920.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	485753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5028.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	560.5 KB 
ID:	485754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5427.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	485755

After cracking my Salomon S/max's this weekend, I checked out the S/Pro Supra with BOA. The boot fitter said Solly combined the S/Max and S/Pro into the Supra.
    That bootfitter is incorrect. The S/Pro and S/Pro Supra are the evolution of the 100mm lasted S/Pro, though the instep has been raised on both. The 98mm narrow lasted Salomon boot is the S/Pro Alpha, which doesn't have BOA as present (and won't in '24-'25).

The only "fusion" has to do with the naming scheme - all Salomon alpine boots are now "S/Pro-something" - Alpha is low volume, S/Pro or S/Pro Supra are medium volume, and S/Pro HV is high volume.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    That bootfitter is incorrect. The S/Pro and S/Pro Supra are the evolution of the 100mm lasted S/Pro, though the instep has been raised on both. The 98mm narrow lasted Salomon boot is the S/Pro Alpha, which doesn't have BOA as present (and won't in '24-'25).

The only "fusion" has to do with the naming scheme - all Salomon alpine boots are now "S/Pro-something" - Alpha is low volume, S/Pro or S/Pro Supra are medium volume, and S/Pro HV is high volume.
    Good info, thanks. Where does/did the S/Max fit in there? Is it the Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSnow View Post
    real world experience here with the k2 recon 130 boa. Multiple trips on them now and couldn’t be happier. As you mentioned the fit is unreal compared to a buckle boot. It is different and it is better. More secure and for my foot much more comfortable. At this point I’ve needed no shell work out of the box. I did head mold the liners. Currently running super feet liners but want to go custom.

the durability as also been fantastic. I’ve knocked them around, smacked the boa dial and no issues. I gave one a fairly good whack while skiing in trees. Was coming pretty quick and got thrown off line by a branch which made me smack into a low hanging thicker branch. Nailed the binding first then it continued into the boot and nailed the boa cable and dial hard. I ended up taking wood with me in my binding screw and boot dial. The dial never popped off and didn’t get any physical damage other than a rub mark. Cable was also fine. The cable is very thick and can only be cut with wire cutters.

if you need to replace it all parts are free from boa. You can do a request directly on the site. It’s extremely easy if needed and replacement of the parts is also very easy to do.

price at the moment is for sure an issue since boa is the new hotness. That being said if you pay attention deals are to be had. During the holidays Corbetts in Canada had all the new boa stuff on deep discount. I paid $480 shipped for my 24 recon boas after the sale and exchange rate to the states.
    Good info on durability. Thanks. I did try corbetts but they are out of my size.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Nordica brought those back, too

Good info, thanks. Where does/did the S/Max fit in there? Is it the Alpha?
    Yes, the S/Pro Alpha is the evolution of the S/Max, 98mm but with a taller instep and smaller cuff circumference. Depending on what year you have of the S/Max, they've also gotten rid of the CoreFrame construction (good if you need to punch at the fifth mets).

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post

I think the cable and mechanism will be super easy to replace. Plus a bunch of brands will now have compatible parts so it's easier to keep replacements around.

I'm your huckleberry. I just grabbed some Atomic Hawx BOA's. I've only ridden them once. So far, so good.

Yeah, if it's like "normal" boa, it's 5 minute job and anyone can do it.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Yeah, if it's like "normal" boa, it's 5 minute job and anyone can do it.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    Not exactly. A "normal" BOA in a snowboard boot could be anywhere from a 10 minute job to a 3 hour job, depending on whether you can thread the cable internally in the boot. The new H+i1 is 10 minutes every time. This season we've probably fixed about 30 snowboard BOA boots, we've only done 1 BOA ski boot and we've sold quite a few.