Thread: Ranger 2022?

Ranger 2022?

Haven't scene much scuttle about the redesign of the Fischer Ranger lineup of skis. Recently got to check out the R102 in the 190cm at a shop. They look really nice. Ticked a lot of boxes for me. Some amount of Ti layering, decent camber, enough tip and tail rocker, not to much tip taper, a turned up tail amount that I could tolerate as I really dislike full twins. Anyone got any time on snow with these?
    Last edited by Fred Pabst; 02-03-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Here you go, out today:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2022-2023-fischer-ranger-102

I have the last gen 107ti and love it, it’s got some backbone and rips. Sounds like they neutered the new ones even from the FR versions. I’d still like to try a last gen 102fr as a “playful” ski for me.

Oh, they don’t make a pink one anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Haven't scene much scuttle about the redesign of the Fischer Ranger lineup of skis. Recently got to check out the R102 in the 190cm at a shop. They look really nice. Ticked a lot of boxes for me. Some amount of Ti layering, decent camber, enough tip and tail rocker, not to much tip taper, a turned up tail amount that I could tolerate as I really dislike full twins. Anyone got any time on snow with these?
    Interested as well. Was looking at the 108 before picking up a good deal on M free 108’s
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    My son has been skiing them everyday since he got them for Christmas. He old skis were Armada Invictus 95ti and 108ti which he loved, but they are in the corner now. The Fischers suit his style which is playful, side hits, popping off of anything that looks suitable, skiing backwards, etc. He can lay trenches with them too, if the mood strikes him. No deep snow yet, just chalk, groomers, crud, and they occasional 3-6” refresh. I haven’t heard him lament anything about them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Here you go, out today:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2022-2023-fischer-ranger-102

I have the last gen 107ti and love it, it’s got some backbone and rips. Sounds like they neutered the new ones even from the FR versions. I’d still like to try a last gen 102fr as a “playful” ski for me.

Oh, they don’t make a pink one anymore either.
    Yes indeed..great timing. Thanks for linking.

Sounds like they might be in the playful charger category which is fine by me. Not the burl of the 107ti or the previous R102. Just turned 60 this season and though I still gravitate to the charger category, my aching back at times says go playful charger.

Anybody have a good idea for a replacement for the original (black-blue/pink) 102fr?

My pair is 5yo now and won't last forever. They are perfect as a ski-with-your-wife ski, quiver of one travel ski, or 50/50 duty. Certainly no proper missiles, but can still be pushed a bit and don't complain about speed.

Curious to hear some ideas.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 04-02-2024 at 11:50 PM.

Down CD104. 187 on sale now, and they're red!

Not a bad suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Anybody have a good idea for a replacement for the original (black-blue/pink) 102fr?

My pair is 5yo now and won't last forever. They are perfect as a ski-with-your-wife ski, quiver of one, or 50/50 duty. Certainly no proper missiles, but can still be pushed a bit and don't complain about speed.

Curious to hear some ideas.
    why not just get the current gen? They are still very good skis.

I can't quite remember what Blister wrote, but I quite liked them - a lot more so than the current Atris.

I did find their mount point is a bit too far back imho and it kinda felt like the tips were a bit too long in the rockered section - but they do not lack for umph. They might have slightly softer sections than the previous ones, but that should mainly make them smoother - not detract from their allround abilities imho. I would mount at +3 if I got a new pair, underfoot flex zone be damned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1667463259-fischerranger102.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	492731

My take from the ranger thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hm, the 102 is a good ski that could become great with some tweaks:
    1) cut 4cm off the tips - they are just flappy as is, are not required to float well and do nothing but increase swing weight imho (obviously the tip geometry/start of the rocker zone would have to be tweaked) - added bonus of moving the mount point to -8
    2) extend the titanal portions all the way to the contact points fore and aft, with heavy tapering of the titanal at the ends (goal at the ends: to quiet the tips, not to provide torsional rigidity) - added bonus, will help with point 3
    3) drop the flex cut in the tiatanal at the center of the ski making for a more uniform flex throughout the ski - added bonus, easier to mount fore/aft of the recommended spot

Attachment 449614
    I found them to be good on groomers with a forward stance, but also a bit cumbersome / easy to track poorly or bee deflected on less than perfect groomers with a more centered stance - and likewise off piste. I like them more than I did Black Crows Atris. The tails felt fine - I did not really notice their stiffness in any detrimental way, though it kinda felt like the flex zone in the middle of the ski prevents one from really activating the back half of the ski to pop out of carves.

My pair is mounted with pivots, so that could add to the feeling of being some hinge points in the ski - both up front and underfoot.

And yes, I totally understand Blister's recommendation to size down on these given how much (unnecessary) tip there is on these - I doubt you'll loose much top end by going down, but you will probably gain a fair bit of nimbleness / reduce swing weight.

I run Rossi BlackOps 98 in this segment mounted at rec. Sweet skis.

Other contenders (some might be a bit on the wide side, but are listed due to their balance between heft and looseness): Nordica Unleashed 98/108s / Enforcer Free 104, Salomon QST 106, Black Crows Atris mounted at +1, Dynastar M-Free 108 or M-Pro 108, Rossignol Sender Free 110s

Good to hear a more positive take on the new Ranger. I have only heard 'too soft', 'not like the original', etc. And while I really appreciate the old Ranger, I wouldn't want a neutered version. Too used to heavy skis a'la Monsters and LP105s.

The one thing I'm not happy with is that they fold too easily in variable snow, but you can't have everything. Somehow I can work around the short radius.

(Edit: mine are mounted +2)

The main difference should be in the tips - less carbon = less stiff so arguably less precision when initiating a turn through the shovel, but more torsional compliance can actually make them track better even if they are slightly more vague on hard snow.

And forgot to add Armada Declicity 102 to the list above - a ski that most users seem to absolutely love. Blizzard Rustler 10s could be a decent, if a bit more short to medium turn size specific alternative too. Hell, Line Blade Optic 104s should be a very strong contender for a great combination of umph and playfulness. Declivity 102s and Blade Optics should be fairly easy to find cheap too.

Declivity definitely on the list

thanks kid kapow, current ranger wasn't even on my radar but sounds like it could be a good non-directional touring do-it-all ski for me

Glad this thread popped up! I’m looking to replace my aging pair of Ranger 94FRs, which I love dearly, mostly for their pop and energy, as well as their ability to cut loose and slide through tight trees (and New England frozen granular “side pow” sessions—if you know, you know…). Would love something that can maybe hold an edge on firm hardpack a LITTLE better, without giving up TOO much of that loose, playful feel. Declivity 92TI is on the list, as is the Commander 92, the Faction Dancer 2, and the Mindbender 89TI.

Really don’t want to give up the energy I get out of the 94FR, but could handle a slightly more robust tail, especially if swing weight wasn’t a lot more.

Any thoughts from those who like the narrower stuff??