Skinnyish waxless ski for TTS?

Been getting ghay on our snowy flats around here but I'm not that inspired by the Rossignol BC80 with NNNs. Ripped the rubber role off the floppy boots the other day submarining in some breakable crust.

What 80-90mm waist lightweight ski with a fishscale base can I mount some TTS on for stomping around the flats in fresh snow with some occasional crud turns?

Fischer S-Bound 125?
    Rossignol Black Ops Alpineer?

This category ski has always been something I ignored. Until now.

Any reason you would go TTS vs duckbill and something like a switchback? I have comfy but supportive leather duckbills (scarpa wasatch) paired with switchbacks on some alpinas that I enjoy meadowskipping with.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Any reason you would go TTS vs duckbill and something like a switchback? I have comfy but supportive leather duckbills (scarpa wasatch) paired with switchbacks on some alpinas that I enjoy meadowskipping with.
    I guess just because all my beefier gear is NTN. Thought about trying a Shiver to see if it’s any lighter and more flexible.

A T4 really would be perfect but these days I’m just kinda post-75mm. The boot I really want for this doesn’t exist yet: a NTN T4.

Madshus Panorama 78. Just got a good deal at telemark Pyrenees’s

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    Madshus Panorama 78. Just got a good deal at telemark Pyrenees’s
    These. I just mounted TTS on some older Madshus Epochs and softened up a pair of bellowed F1s. Basically a “modern” version of a T3/switchback set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675391691.720999.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	445875

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675391703.860639.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	445876

^^^ That's awesome.

There was a set of Rossi BC125 at the Hoarding Marmot in Anchorage for $150. Not sure if they'd ship, or if a local mag could help you. I have a set that putt around on with just tech toes and tech touring boots and I like them.

In response to the OP's original question, the obvious choice to me is the Voile Objective BC, but maybe you don't want to spend that much or need that capable of a ski for the "flats".

Also, I have some Shivers, and while I like them OK, they are actually slightly heavier (in MP 28) than my TX's -- and the touring ROM sucks; I think it's worse than the TX's ROM.

Voile Objective BC, if you can find it in a size that works.

I just built up the same ^^^ old limon F1 in a homemade TTS. Can’t say I’m in love. I guess more tweaking when time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    In response to the OP's original question, the obvious choice to me is the Voile Objective BC, but maybe you don't want to spend that much or need that capable of a ski for the "flats".

Also, I have some Shivers, and while I like them OK, they are actually slightly heavier (in MP 28) than my TX's -- and the touring ROM sucks; I think it's worse than the TX's ROM.
    Ha. Great minds.

My favorite meadow skipper boot of all time was the Garmont Excursion.

Another vote for the Objective BC. Although Voile may now have a disclaimer against mounting the ski w/ tele bindings? But I ski with folks who have ignored that with no issue. I've got 3pin toes on the first year Objective BC and a T3. It's nice for walking...my T3's are a little too big so it's never been my favorite setup.

Consensus is the Ojective handles descents better than other skis in this class of Madshus Annum/Karhu Guides, and the widest Rossi BC's and Fisher S bounds.

I've always thought they'd make a nice light TTS rig if you have a boot you're happy with.

The new Rotte Explore system may be an option too. I don't know much about it and the initial boots I saw weren't that impressive to me, but maybe that's changed. Not sure how big of a ski that system can turn.

I ran those Karhu Guides with a cable binding and either the Excursion or a pair of leather Scarpas for quite a few years. The dumb thing with that design is the amount of side cut on such a soft ski. It’s hooky. There’s no reason for such a short turn radius on a ski that will never see prepared surfaces other than a set track.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Good info, thanks.

I fondled a pair of those Objectives without the fishscales today at a local store. Good looking ski in person.

I had objectives mounted tele, never had an issue. Take a look at the madshus lineup as well for some skinnier options. Much better for K&G than the objectives. Also go to telemarktalk .com to read forum posts from absolute nerds who do this meadow skipping stuff on the regular. They have tried every scaled ski and binding combo on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Ha. Great minds.

My favorite meadow skipper boot of all time was the Garmont Excursion.
    I have some 27 excursions I would trade if your f1s don’t jive with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Altai KOM is another option.

I had a friend put the Rottefella explores on a skin ski (skinbased OAC Finland) and he loves them for Midwestern Meadows kipping. Says they're plenty stiff and controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    I have some 27 excursions I would trade if your f1s don’t jive with you.

I would bite, but I’m a 28 in that Garmont last.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I would bite, but I’m a 28 in that Garmont last.
    Figured I’d give it a shot.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

I have some un used 28.5 Crispi Shivers that i would sell if any one might be interested.

I will probably not ever put them into service at this juncture.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I have some un used 28.5 Crispi Shivers that i would sell if any one might be interested.

I will probably not ever put them into service at this juncture.
    So close….I run a 27.5/28 Crispi shell.