Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Insulated midlayer pants (including 3/4 length)

Looking for a midlayer to layer under a soft shell (OR Cirque), and over long johns. Would love to find:

Patagonia Nano Air Light pants
    Arcteryx Axino Knickers
    Backcountry Wolverine Cirque 3/4

or something similar... open to suggestions. Men's S or M. Cheers!

Mammut down/polartec hybrid knickers are tits also
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Subscribing, because I was sorta looking for a 3/4 insulated, too. In the mean time I have been simply using my Ridge Merino Joggers and pull them up a bit. They're also useful for other activities plus and as a casual pant if you wanted to take off the soft shells.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I have these:

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/hagl...mimic-34-pant/

They rock.

Not as warm as my Norrona ones but at ~50% the price of the Norrona ones and much more durable.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Interesting. They look rather short though, how far down to they come on you? I'm really hoping to find something that comes right up to the boot, which I would expect to be more versatile

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I have these:

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/hagl...mimic-34-pant/

They rock.

Not as warm as my Norrona ones but at ~50% the price of the Norrona ones and much more durable.

I would like a pair of Men's Helly Hansen Lifaloft Full-Zip Insulator 3/4 pant in Large is some one is selling a pair.
    https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/li...2?color=290653

I have a pair of like new Stio Ferosi insulated knickers that I might sell.
    Men's medium.

Make an appointment and get some Melanzana Wind Pro Sweats and hem to 3/4 length.

If anybody has a lead on Backcountry’s old style full-zip Wolverine Cirque 3/4 pants, in a medium, lemme know.
    https://www.backcountry.com/backcoun...s-mens-bccz25y

I went through this and if you limit yourself to 3/4 knickers it's a pain. Just get regular length and have them hemmed (I just cut them off) and then many more options. You can experiment with an older pair of full length pants.
    In my experience synthetic fleece material is fine just cut off and then heated a little to melt the edge. Just watch if you melt toouch it can make a sharp edge that can chafe your upper calf.
    There are some cheap R1 like pants at places like Cabela's.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I know OP is looking for 3/4/boot top, but if someone just wants insulation between their sweet cheeks and the chair, I have some Vaude insulated shorts only worn once. Size M/50 (this a true Med Euro fit, not fat American Med). Full zip sides. $50 shipped.
    Last edited by connersw; 02-03-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I have a pair of like new Stio Ferosi insulated knickers that I might sell.
    Men's medium.
    Solid option right there

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I went through this and if you limit yourself to 3/4 knickers it's a pain. Just get regular length and have them hemmed (I just cut them off) and then many more options. You can experiment with an older pair of full length pants.
    In my experience synthetic fleece material is fine just cut off and then heated a little to melt the edge. Just watch if you melt toouch it can make a sharp edge that can chafe your upper calf.
    There are some cheap R1 like pants at places like Cabela's.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    "Peppy & cheap" approach for the win. I did this to one of my multiple pairs of Bouré Thermal Traveler pants. These are not as insulating as some of the others presented, but a good 'tweener option. Alternatively, with these type pants you can simply unzip the cuff and either fold them up or let them cover the top of the boot if you have room in your soft shell cuff.

Bouré Elite Thermal Bike Knickers are an option, but the articulated design is less than ideal for touring or XC skiing.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

For mid-layer pants, basic fleece pants are cheap and widely available, you can choose the weight/warmth, and can be easily cut to length. I took a pair of well worn Icebreaker woollen sweatpants, cut them to length, used the fabric to sew in some extra ass padding for cold chairlift rides (essential here at Red Mountain), and installed a heavy duty drawstring. Luxurious.

While a fleece pant is a good option to use as a layer while getting dressed in the morning, a synthetic down, full side zipper, pant is a totally different piece of gear.
    Just like packing a spare puffy jacket for emergency situations, a “puffy pant” can be be used in the same situation. The double leg zipper, with full length zippers are the essential feature. The reason I like the full zip (both legs) insulator pant is that it can be stuffed inside my bib shells and zipped up without having to removing my boots or bibs, or easily zipped over top my shell pants while stopping for lunch or digging a pit on a really cold day, or easily zipped over an injured party while waiting for rescue.
    It’s the piece of gear that you don’t realize is so vital and useful until you actually need it and come to use it.
    My HH 3/4 insulator pants (original version) were lost in a airline luggage situation (blown out luggage zipper/TSA not closing zipper), and I really should just buy a new pair to replace them.

Stio Ferosi knickers
    John

www.ReRax.net/index.html ... The Smarter way to carry gear!

Steep and cheap has some backcountry branded down pants for a solid price right now. No idea if they’re any good, but just got myself a pair to try them out. As Dee notes, I plan to mainly use them as emergency pants, but also as a midlayer on resort days in the single digits

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Bouré Elite Thermal Bike Knickers are an option, but the articulated design is less than ideal for touring or XC skiing.
    Ooh, thanks for pointing these out, I might have to try them.

I have an old pair of Ibex merino knickers that I absolutely love. Wish I also had a pair of the bib-knicker version. At this point I've crashed in them a few times and the chamois is getting worn out, but they have been one of my all time favorite pieces of riding gear.

I hoped they would make a comeback when Ibex relaunched under new ownership, but they seem to have abandoned the cycling market.

These look like they could be a good substitute (but yeah, not great for touring/xc skiing given the chamois and shape).

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Steep and cheap has some backcountry branded down pants for a solid price right now. No idea if they’re any good, but just got myself a pair to try them out. As Dee notes, I plan to mainly use them as emergency pants, but also as a midlayer on resort days in the single digits
    These?

https://www.steepandcheap.com/backco...down-pant-mens

800 fill seems lofty for a ski layer. They look nice and price is right for a lounger.
    The hunt continues.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah that’s it.

I was under the impression that fill # was a down quality metric (ie, higher number provides more warmth per gram) as opposed to a loft/weight measurement, but I’m not an expert by any stretch. In any event I can report back when I have em if folks are interested.

WTB: Insulated midlayer pants (including 3/4 length)

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Yeah that’s it.

I was under the impression that fill # was a down quality metric (ie, higher number provides more warmth per gram) as opposed to a loft/weight measurement, but I’m not an expert by any stretch. In any event I can report back when I have em if folks are interested.
    Cool! Yeah, that was a bad play on words attempt. Lol! Still, for an insulation layer 800fill seems like a lot for pants.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 02-03-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhollowed View Post
    Interesting. They look rather short though, how far down to they come on you? I'm really hoping to find something that comes right up to the boot, which I would expect to be more versatile
    Just below the knee but I'm in a size S at 5'11 (150 pounds). So not boottop unfortunately in that size but I don't know if length is consistent across sizes.

Edit: Here they are on Haglof's site with a few pictures as reference:

https://www.haglofs.com/en/activitie...-men-6053742AT
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

^ The Hoglofs are nice. When I worked in Sweden a few of the guys in the office had these, and zipped them over their (indoor) pants to walk home from the office. The other brand popular in Sweden was Stellar, who also make an Insulated 3/4 length full zip pant.
    This is when I first saw insulated pants that were functional/technical, I had only seen ever seen Mt Everest style, 1990 technology puffy pants that you could never do any high impact activities in.
    After my first winter working in Sweden is when bought the Helly Hansen 3/4 insulator pant.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Ooh, thanks for pointing these out, I might have to try them.

I have an old pair of Ibex merino knickers that I absolutely love. Wish I also had a pair of the bib-knicker version. At this point I've crashed in them a few times and the chamois is getting worn out, but they have been one of my all time favorite pieces of riding gear.

I hoped they would make a comeback when Ibex relaunched under new ownership, but they seem to have abandoned the cycling market.

These look like they could be a good substitute (but yeah, not great for touring/xc skiing given the chamois and shape).
    You might try contacting Drew/staff and see if they’d be able to do any customization you might want. Good products. Good people.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I have Stio Knickers in a small that I wore once & purchased the Medium. If anyone wants the smalls- can make a cheap deal on em.