Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Core Shot, have you suffered some sort of TBI? Your posts are often nonsensical and contradictory to the point that you’re trying to make.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I said nothing about getting litigious, just that it’s fucked that the biggest form of theft isn’t criminal.

Tipping economy is also fucked. I survived on tips before, too, so I know how shitty it is. There’s a growing trend of restaurants keeping tips from online orders or calling them mandatory “service fees” etc in the small print that’s even worse.

All of that to say, if your son is literally getting stolen from, he doesn’t owe that company anything but a swift fuck you, and I’m shocked as his father you are forcing him to stay there two weeks for “values”. I would want to teach my kid the values of standing up for themselves and not blindly taking shit from the man. Especially in this economy where a hard worker can walk into any store and find a job.

But I hope it all works out for him.
    Can’t believe I’m defending core shot…. But you guys are dumb. Quit on the spot for “values”? STFU. I would want to teach my kid the values of working the system to not need to live in my basement when he’s 25.

You go on now with your “values.”
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Can’t believe I’m defending core shot…. But you guys are dumb. Quit on the spot for “values”? STFU. I would want to teach my kid the values of working the system to not need to live in my basement when he’s 25.

You go on now with your “values.”
    You teach your kid that they don’t have to work for someone who is stealing from them.

Values and norms aren’t absolute, and change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    You teach your kid that they don’t have to work for someone who is stealing from them.

Values and norms aren’t absolute, and change over time.
    Yeah I guess.
    It was his first job. And not sharing the tip jar was stealing. But I thought it was more important to teach him honor and integrity even if his boss was a douche.
    He wanted to quit even before the tip jar bullshit.
    It was a shitty kitchen job. Which was good.
    Shit jobs are motivating

Pile on about me being a shit dad for letting my kid work a shit job.

My dads dad died when he was 16. Had to be man of the house too soon.
    I had to fight with him to get a job in high school. And they were shitty. And motivational.

Name:  Image1675652925.960544.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  155.1 KB

you guys should get a room

so i was quietly weeping here in the kitchen ( choppin onions eh ) and i suddenly remembered when I quit Macdonalds by phone

I was 16, I needed money and i had hit rock bottom so i applied at macdonalds was accepted, they bring +30 of us in and showed us every madcdonalds tv add ever made to indoctrinate us in a basement store room which is bad enough but its 100 degrees down thar, every so often if it looked like some one was gona pass out they open the walk-in freezer for a few minutes

first shift I look at the schedule I got solid lines behind my name for 1130-1 and 4-630which means a guarranteed 4 hrs but the rest of it until 11pm at night was dotted line which means you gotta stay if they ask you to so I could be working 4 hrs or 12 hrs depending on how they felt

I was the go-getter back then, I find 2 better jobs for mo money so I call up and quit by phone, the guy on the end of the line sez you can't just quit like that to which i replied actualy I can just quit like that so give my shitty hrs to somebody else on the schedule ...

at least I did call them, the check for 10hrs was 14.82

but clearly according to the law of suppy & demand in the job market they were out to lunch, I think maybe they hire 30 and hope 10 workout
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Employees Quitting

Ha. In uni I worked banquets at a major hotel (unfortunately not the rail union hotel though). $10/hr plus the min 15% gratuity, but usually a bit more, sometime a lot more if it was my turn to run the cash bar. Not bad for the early 90’s. Both hotels I worked at had a deal you could travel around the world and just get a job wherever they had a hotel. Met a couple of folk that took them up on that and they seemed happy. Very professional workplaces despite half the staff being immigrant, and the other 1/3 being students. They held my winter job for me while I went to work in the woods each summer.

Every year we hosted the city’s MacDonald’s Xmas banquet for their ‘senior’ managers. The oldest looked like they were in their mid-twenties. No one complained about their lot (at least at the party), and seemed if beyond entry line staff they had lots of advancement programs.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Heh. Not shitty at all really. But the goalposts are constantly moving and not always in sync with what both ‘hands’ are doing.
    And being in a position where attracting top talent without the top paycheque incentive, along with being forced to manage under-performers with alternate duties, training, mentoring, etc, with limited success, weeds out poor supervisors and middle (excluded from collective bargaining) mgmt.

I’m down to half the staff I should have. Burnout is real. Interviews with new prospects taking about a week out of each month with limited HR dept support. The recently retired are re-applying and are the entitled assholes; most of the 20 and young 30 somethings are bright and actually engaged. It’s going to be a tough couple of years, maybe much of the next decade, but the new blood does give me hope. We’ve been stagnant with the old guard for too long.
    Excellent response. Thank you. Appreciate the perspective here.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    This whole thread is lulz.

Two weeks ain’t much.

I’ve given two weeks notice and been told gtfo. Apparently I wasn’t needed.
    Also given two weeks and worked my ass off to transition.
    Also given two weeks and got paid for it and told not to work or come to the office.

Also gotten ass canned with a cardboard box and a security guard watching me gather my personal items.
    gotta agree

catch 22>you give 2 weeks notice and usually they don't want someone around who's days are numbered ....you don't give 2 weeks notice and suddenly you are a 'bad guy'

2 weeks ain't shit anyway. Any job that requires years of experience and a clean background check can take many months to fill. If the job can be filled by 'anyone' , management needs to take a chill pill and fill it.

Employees Quitting

Sure. Teach them to resign immediately out of outrage because they didn’t like the way the tip jar was handled. In 20 years your kid will be working for my kid. Unless you are being emotionally abused or the job is physically dangerous, you always leave on good terms. That applies to almost every situation, work or otherwise. ETA: it applies to the employer too. If you aren’t getting paid or making a change that you want to see, there’s no win in winning.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    gotta agree

catch 22>you give 2 weeks notice and usually they don't want someone around who's days are numbered ....you don't give 2 weeks notice and suddenly you are a 'bad guy'

2 weeks ain't shit anyway. Any job that requires years of experience and a clean background check can take many months to fill. If the job can be filled by 'anyone' , management needs to take a chill pill and fill it.
    Two weeks isn’t for filling the job with a clean transition, even at entry level. It just gives you a minute to adjust and adapt and if it’s a senior employee with all the stuff you can sit down with them and document just how fucked you’re gonna be.

I had a senior technical employee leave for something new a few months back. Gave 4 weeks notice. After two and a half weeks we got tired of seeing his melancholy ass rolling around on his goodbye tour; at that point all his duties had been reassigned and he was just there to fill in the knowledge gaps we stumbled into but didn’t anticipate. And those still crop up even now; we pay him a nice fat hourly independent contractor rate when we have questions or can’t unwind how he set up a system. Unless they’re in the middle of a big project (which, I don’t have a lot of trust for anybody to deliver on a high level project on their way out the door, that includes me) two weeks is about right….

And sometimes we walk ‘em, sometimes we don’t. All depends on the situation and the attitudes and how it’ll affect the rest of the team.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 02-06-2023 at 05:04 AM.
    focus.

in HS I worked at a car shop, and gave advanced notice (2+ weeks) at the end of the summer when I was going to be starting college. my last day of employment i got "random" drug tested like half an hour before I'm supposed to be done, I had smoked up with some buddies the week before so I was like oh well whatever it's my last day nbd end of my shitty job here, punch out and go home.

got a call from the manager about 2 weeks later after going off to school, I thought it was gunna be related to the results of the test so I was nervous; instead he asks why am I not in the shop yet? say's I'm on the schedule for the day and late for my shift; I just laughed and said sorry man but no I'm not, I gave you my notice and I'm currently 350 miles away, you can take me off the schedule. Apparently me giving my notice didn't really matter too much in that case, the managers were kinda clueless.
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

I got buddies working on the big pipeline & Dam projects up here in the narth, if you cut yer finger with a drywall knife its an incident so they write a report and you are expected to piss,

SO they quit cuz you don't want a positive MJ test on your employment record and everyone understands

Fuckkkk

Just fired a somewhat decent worker. No notice. He started a side biz. Complete with van and lettering for his new biz.

Fuck. I carried his mediocre ass for years.
    Good luck asshat.

So you didn't give him two weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Remember when coreshot was bitching that nobody wanted to work anymore they just wanted to sit at home and collect UI?
    what a perfect arc that he’s now bitching his employee wanted to work too much.

Depending on the POV a somewhat decent employee supported your sorry ass for years, if he didnt it was up to you to manage that shit, instead you canned his ass and probably can't find a somewhat decent replacement

so was his side gig a conflict of interest, isnt it the great american dream to start your on business & become a millionaire ?

so who left the bidness in a lurch you or him ?

I missed a few pages in here. Anyone talk about the FTC getting ready to strike down non competes?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Depending on the POV a somewhat decent employee supported your sorry ass for years, if he didnt it was up to you to manage that shit, instead you canned his ass and probably can't find a somewhat decent replacement

so was his side gig a conflict of interest, isnt it the great american dream to start your on business & become a millionaire ?

so who left the bidness in a lurch you or him ?
    Yep. Same biz. It ain’t right. Never has been. You can do anything off hours except what we do.

Yeah. Finding a replacement will suck. Always has. Always will

well no compete is a no brainer, so I wonder if he chose now to let it be known he was open for business ?

Back when the mother corp right sized me it was a small part of an edict from the ivory tower to reduce head count by 200 bodies, but no replacement would come narth let alone one with all the experience/ training so they had to new-hire another guy and spend a bunch of time/ money training him so they didnt lose any headcount which was the point of the whole CF, also they had to pay me 1 year severance and start paying retirement benifits & bridgepayments at the same time so it cost mo money

and the funny part instead of giving the other guy an atta boy for logging 600 hr OT they gave him shit for going over the 300 hr OT ban
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-06-2023 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yep. Same biz. It ain’t right. Never has been. You can do anything off hours except what we do.

Yeah. Finding a replacement will suck. Always has. Always will
    You sound like a Jack ass. What happened to enterprise and free markets? Hopefully he’ll put you out of business

I won't argue with your assertion that CS is a jack ass but dude ... conflict of interest

This is a weird ass thread.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I won't argue with your assertion that CS is a jack ass but dude ... conflict of interest
    Small business owners touting free market capitalism afraid of competition. This is funny. Non compete, conflict of interest is bs. If you do it better why worry?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You sound like a Jack ass. What happened to enterprise and free markets? Hopefully he’ll put you out of business

Yeah. No. Non compete isn’t enforced here
    Just look me in the eye and tell me you’re my competition
    I’m ok with that.
    Free markets and shit.

If he were smart he would climb the ranks and buy my biz.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    This is a weird ass thread.
    Ain’t it?