Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You are miffed about max 4 days? I’ve watched people walk the fuck out and never come back on their lunch break.
    It’s such a small operation that it impacts through April at the very least.

To add on: yes, I am. Because it forces me back to working seven days per week to make up for the lost time even though it’s only six days/month as you referenced (well, you said four, but I digress).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah so every other artical i read on FB is about quiet quitting or sft and the rest are about starting a side hustle or sft whatever that is

Post covid I asked buddy pouring my beer at the local bar ( grew up here, mid twenties small town demographic ) wtf is up with quiet quitting and all that shit I read about on FB

and she said " everyone I know got a better job " SO it sounds like people must have quit their better jobs and the people with shitty jobs quit those shitty jobs for the better jobs
    It’s economic science lol

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Assuming you care about that. Which for a 5 day a month job do you really?
    Never burned a bridge with an employer in my life. Imagine that.

Me either, but I still find it fascinating that we watch thousands of people get laid off without notice and still companies expect to get two weeks.

Not surprising at all to me that people walk away from low wage, part time work, crap managers, ever shifting work schedules, etc with no notice. Of course the economic worm will turn and people might regret their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by FortySixMac View Post
    Outdoor gear company

Maybe if you kept it in your pants they wouldn't have quit?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Me either, but I still find it fascinating that we watch thousands of people get laid off without notice and still companies expect to get two weeks.

Not surprising at all to me that people walk away from low wage, part time work, crap managers, ever shifting work schedules, etc with no notice. Of course the economic worm will turn and people might regret their decisions.
    You’re painting with a very, very broad brush.

- competitive wages for the position (especially with full, paid OJT spanning 1.5 months; no prior experience) with raises during their tenure
    - part time by their request as they have a full time job and wanted to be involved in the industry nonetheless
    - schedule is never shifting, and not a single occurrence of “no notice” shifts — always planned a month in advance with the same recurring weekday plus one weekend per month in addition.
    - no managers, just me, the owner — so, maybe shitty owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Maybe if you kept it in your pants they wouldn't have quit?
    Hazard pay at least!

If this is happening repeatedly, maybe look inward at the operation and wether you rely on too many part time staff?

In this case the person that resigned has a ft job so they had no incentive to give advance notice. I’m sure their full time employer isn’t bummed out.

Seven days a week and you get the profit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I’m always amazed at employers and their cluelessness. If you are losing employees it’s not because they’re shitty. You need to make it worthwhile for them to stay and make money for you.

I think i see the problem.

You employ people, yes?
    watch out for snakes

Just would like to vent to a bunch of mags who will probably just roast me (as I need). I greatly disdain when employees quit without any notice whatsoever. This is a small business and it affects every single person here. Rant over.

Do you give people two week notice when you let them go?

'Outdoor industry' and 'competitive wages for the industry' are the tipoffs to the problem.

The 'outdoor industry' is notorious for paying crap wages for work that would pay double or even triple in pretty much any other field.

PS, claiming the employee owes you something for training makes you look like a bad owner. That is a cost of doing business and exclusively on you. Also claiming a 6 day a month employee is so mission critical is a bit over the top. No business should be running that lean because you will perpetually be in a state of stress.

That all bluntly said, if this is a one off scenario it could just be this employee got an ultimatum from their full time employer (or maybe their wife/partner) and well, shit needed to change because that other job pays the rent. Shit happens sometimes and if a one off I wouldn't take it personally. Realistically there are different standards for part time vs full time work.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m always amazed at employers and their cluelessness. If you are losing employees it’s not because they’re shitty. You need to make it worthwhile for them to stay and make money for you.

That assumes a lot.

Aren’t your employees essentially giving you one week notice when they quit a 1 day a week job?

I suppose none. But,I would argue that the lack of performance or actions leading to termination would be intercepted and hopefully corrected before I terminate.

I would argue that the lack of performance and actions leading to resignation would be intercepted and hopefully corrected before they resign. Two way street, and as others have said this is an opportunity for some self reflection.

If you see it happen every once in a while, well, that’s life. But if it’s an issue for you you are missing something with the relationship, communication, your work environment, or your compensation package.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    If this is happening repeatedly, maybe look inward at the operation and wether you rely on too many part time staff?

In this case the person that resigned has a ft job so they had no incentive to give advance notice. I’m sure their full time employer isn’t bummed out.
    Edited original — not happening repeatedly thankfully

Agreed, no incentive to give notice

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    That assumes a lot.
    I’m talking in generalities here. Not specific to the op but that could be the problem. If it is then some introspection would be helpful.

I’ve had amazing employers and terrible ones and everything in between. Employees carry the water to enrich business owners small and large. If you’re employing someone it means that you can’t do it on your own and have the same level of wealth.

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m talking in generalities here. Not specific to the op but that could be the problem. If it is then some introspection would be helpful.

I’ve had amazing employers and terrible ones and everything in between. Employees carry the water to enrich business owners small and large. If you’re employing someone it means that you can’t do it on your own and have the same level of wealth.

Right. The imagined obligations are amazing, here…

If I have a manager who is running into issues keeping people on their team, I can usually trace it back to their management skillset. It would be a huge red flag if they had a single person quit without notice, much less if it happened more than once.
    focus.

You're hiring for gig work but have expectations of them like a career employee?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Right. The imagined obligations are amazing, here…
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It is plausible that OP suffered a slight from an employee that could have more empathy and fostered a better parting relationship.

That said, given most of us live in the land of "at will" where you can be immediately downsized at the drop of hat at the whims of execs looking for a stock bump - it's laughable that employers expect all the considerations and give none.

Let's take a boiler plate CEO message but change the orientation so its from the POV of the employee - cause it swings both ways.

"Change is never easy and [we / I] don't take these decisions lightly. [Dynamic market changes | Strong labor market] force [us / me] to make tough choices to maintain [our competitive position | career growth]. It is with deep [We / I] regret to inform you, that effective immediately [I resign | your position has been eliminated]. [We / I] wish you well on your future opportunities and thank you for you [past contributions | employment]."

Don't see it as them quitting, rather they fired their employer. Then it tracks the same.

how about the filthy lucre ?

People may have been happy enough just cruising along pre-covid but they may be needing mo money post covid so they quit for more ,

I know the LBS lost 2 valuable & long time employees trading the race-face shorts & etnies for coveralls, going back to the old job for mo money

but they were full time & did give notice, I gotta wonder what kind of notice / re-numeration OP would give that same very part time employee

not that it would matter cuz that job will be very hard to fill for the above reasons
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Aren’t your employees essentially giving you one week notice when they quit a 1 day a week job?
    Well two if they say they have to take their next shift off for "personal reasons"

You’re painting with a very, very broad brush.

- competitive wages for the position (especially with full, paid OJT spanning 1.5 months; no prior experience) with raises during their tenure
    - part time by their request as they have a full time job and wanted to be involved in the industry nonetheless
    - schedule is never shifting, and not a single occurrence of “no notice” shifts — always planned a month in advance with the same recurring weekday plus one weekend per month in addition.
    - no managers, just me, the owner — so, maybe shitty owner?

what did they do for you ? how much is pay ? I might need a part time job.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You are miffed about max 4 days? I’ve watched people walk the fuck out and never come back on their lunch break.
    On the flip side of this, I once learned I got fired when I left the office to take a shit (shared bathroom with another firm on the floor) and my badge didn't work to get back in. I do enjoy a leisurely dump on company time, but it was still pretty ruthless. 53rd floor, since I know some of you are wondering...
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.