Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    you know what is shitty... getting laid off
    I have to disagree. I've been laid off more than once, due to a variety of issues that had nothing to do with me. In fact I've been offered the choice of staying on or getting laid off and chose layoff. Usually it comes with decent severence pay plus months of unemployment compensation (i.e. ski time). I've had "retraining" paid for (got a teaching degree) and even had moving expenses covered when I was in a labor union. Getting laid off is awesome. It's liberating and a great chance to do something new.

LOL at all the management people in this thread saying workers are lazy, when they themselves have been posting on TGR all day long.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

They must be waiting on another manager to email the spreadsheet back to them.

Management sowing: Haha fuck yea!!! Yes!!
    Management reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.

A message to customers in a local retail business
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D70FE07D-1006-4B03-B742-957B5C1EED0C.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	610.2 KB 
ID:	445850

It fits with respect to employers as well.
    They need to give people a reason to show up - besides a paycheck

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Management sowing: Haha fuck yea!!! Yes!!
    Management reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
    I do not think that means what you think it means.
    #InigoMontoya

Sowing is the hard work building a team.
    Reaping is the glory days of making money.

Then they quit. And you must sow again.

In the spring the garden will grow. Then it will be winter. And then spring again. All is good in the garden
    #ChauncyGardner

^Really bud? You really don’t get that?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^Really bud? You really don’t get that?
    I missed the sarc tag.

Employees Quitting

::facepalm::

You guys think capitalist workplace relations suck? Try working for politicians and the public! And unless someone is a predator, outright thief, or some other criminal code misconduct, firing someone is at minimum a 2yr process.

Harden the fuck up. And be nicer to each other, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    You guys think capitalist workplace relations suck? Try working for politicians and the public! And unless someone is a predator, outright thief, or some other criminal code misconduct, firing someone is at minimum a 2yr process.

Harden the fuck up. And be nicer to each other, eh?
    “My work life is shittier than yours. That means nobody else can complain but me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    LOL at all the management people in this thread saying workers are lazy, when they themselves have been posting on TGR all day long.
    No. In this thread It's management people saying that giving zero notice before leaving is shitty to your coworkers.

In the quiet quitting thread we are saying lots of folks are lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    No. In this thread It's management people saying that giving zero notice before leaving is shitty to your coworkers.

It’s likely the coworkers new ahead of time and planned accordingly. Whoosh

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Don’t forget about bellyaching over student loan forgiveness too!

Glad you’re having fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    “My work life is shittier than yours. That means nobody else can complain but me.”
    Heh. Not shitty at all really. But the goalposts are constantly moving and not always in sync with what both ‘hands’ are doing.
    And being in a position where attracting top talent without the top paycheque incentive, along with being forced to manage under-performers with alternate duties, training, mentoring, etc, with limited success, weeds out poor supervisors and middle (excluded from collective bargaining) mgmt.

I’m down to half the staff I should have. Burnout is real. Interviews with new prospects taking about a week out of each month with limited HR dept support. The recently retired are re-applying and are the entitled assholes; most of the 20 and young 30 somethings are bright and actually engaged. It’s going to be a tough couple of years, maybe much of the next decade, but the new blood does give me hope. We’ve been stagnant with the old guard for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s likely the coworkers new ahead of time and planned accordingly. Whoosh

Haha, yeah. Looks like we should cancel weekend and evening plans for a while so I can help cover sue's work when she quits in 2 weeks. Thank goodness mgmt doesn't know so they don't have the opportunity to shuffle staff around in preparation!

Happy I'm making time in my busy schedule to chat with you?

you are BC gov ? I assumed maybe you had tranistioned to being a contracter ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ive only been in mgmt for the past few years, so all ive known is an industry going gangbusters and everyone scrambling to hire any warm body they can. And in that landscape, we have been constantly under/barely staffed and have had to keep on problem employees because we cannot afford to lose their 15hrs of productive work every week (out of 40). I would love to replace these shitty employees, but damn it has been a difficult hiring environment. We do what we can to keep people happy, but when the employee holds all the power, like they have the last few years, some of them wield it like an asshole. I dont think anyone is saying that a company/boss shouldn't strive to treat employees well, and run their program at sustainable levels, etc... we are just griping about what is a perceived lack of civility by some ex employees. Just as we would gripe about getting laid off with no notice and no severance.

When i was staff level i would have been pissed if another staff left on no notice and essentially dumped a portion of their workload onto me. And yes, it would be up to me to figure it out because if we didnt hit deadlines, then we lost clients, and then i would be out of a job as well as my boss. You can foster a good team environment all you want, but there will always be shitty teammates. We are whining about those shitty teammates. Join in the fun.
    The point isn’t really to be a super cool boss or have some great culture or pay people better than the next guy or any of that. That stuff is all good and will reduce turnover. The point is to talk to your fucking employees and know what’s going on with them. Takes 5 minutes to ask about their week and their kids or wife or girlfriend or sick mom. Let them know that you rely on them and ask what their plans are. Anything big coming up? Where do you see yourself in a year anyways? How can I and this job help with that? Just let me know when it isn’t working anymore, I’ll write you a letter. Etc.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you are BC gov ? I assumed maybe you had tranistioned to being a contracter ?
    Kinda funny, was consulting when I lived up there, but you made comments assuming I was in govt. Now it’s the reverse. One of these days we need to share stories over a beer.

First half of my career was consulting, just about equal time now with govt. Too vested in the pension (and too close to semi retirement) to leave now, especially with industry so lean with resource tenure allocations these days. ROI on capital investment is so slim, the big industry players without private holdings are going elsewhere, and in many cases selling their tenure to indigenous. So it’s govt or First Nations investing in the future here now. Kinda funny, most of my old coworkers still in the game, even those that spent the first half of their career with industry, are now with govt or First Nations (even as contractors) if they are still in the field at all.

…The recently retired are re-applying and are the entitled assholes;...
    Ha. I’m retired and I know for certain if I went back (like some people have suggested) I would totally be an entitled asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Ha. I’m retired and I know for certain if I went back (like some people have suggested) I would totally be an entitled asshole.
    That’s my plan too. Just a day or two per week, no hard deadlines, yadda yadda.

Seriously, I would be fine with the returning old guard mentoring the young newbies in the field. Problem is, many so far want the privileges of senior supervisor or mgmt (and paycheque), in a senior ‘field’ position. Sorry, that’s where we are fully staffed and those aren’t the skills we are seeking. We need you to get wet and dirty, dealing with public, license holders, and contractors, supporting the new guard.
    It’s a hard sell.

Kinda funny, was consulting when I lived up there, but you made comments assuming I was in govt. Now it’s the reverse. One of these days we need to share stories over a beer.

First half of my career was consulting, just about equal time now with govt. Too vested in the pension (and too close to semi retirement) to leave now, especially with industry so lean with resource tenure allocations these days. ROI on capital investment is so slim, the big industry players without private holdings are going elsewhere, and in many cases selling their tenure to indigenous. So it’s govt or First Nations investing in the future here now. Kinda funny, most of my old coworkers still in the game, even those that spent the first half of their career with industry, are now with govt or First Nations (even as contractors) if they are still in the field at all.
    yeah i was retired from the IBM gig actulay the only retired person at the center cuz i didnt waste time in university

but i was dating the L in L & M consulting so she always got me 1st crack at the forest tech gigs at the BV research center, cuz i always showed up which is very important and kind of the essence of this thread

so I was on the periphery of many things, going for beers with a couple of PHD's I would have a very rough idea WTF they were talking about but that high faloouting talk doesnt play up here so I kind of got most of it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-02-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The point isn’t really to be a super cool boss or have some great culture or pay people better than the next guy or any of that. That stuff is all good and will reduce turnover. The point is to talk to your fucking employees and know what’s going on with them. Takes 5 minutes to ask about their week and their kids or wife or girlfriend or sick mom. Let them know that you rely on them and ask what their plans are. Anything big coming up? Where do you see yourself in a year anyways? How can I and this job help with that? Just let me know when it isn’t working anymore, I’ll write you a letter. Etc.
    You mean treat them like human beings?

i am robot

I am the walrus

but here ya go