Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    19cm sounds like so much more snow than 8". I probably wouldnt skip out on a morning of work for 8" overnight either if i knew someone was counting on my work that morning.
    well clearly bro would have blown off the job and it was his job but i alwasy show up when i say i will

in any case the 1/5th of a fulltime job tho OP ws offering was not enough to buy the boss man much of anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    I prefer the prime age which is only 2 percentage points off an all time high. The full labor force has a ton of 57-64 that got out during COVID and are never coming back.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS11300060

Sounds like OP was not maybe too up to date with what was going on with his employees. I've never had somebody quit that I didn't expect to at some point soon.
    Work life ends at 54??

I dunno
    That’s a weird stat. Yes. It’s prime employment. And that chart looks way better. So we got that going for us.
    55and over has been hell to change jobs.

I feel sad seeing a gray hair bagging my groceries or delivering parts. But I guess it beats staying at home listening to your gray hair wife going on and on about nothing.

I guess i fucked up and missed it ^^ by 5 yrs

I have to go metric.

My 19 cm dick sounds so impressive

Will the euro girls be impressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I have to go metric.

My 19 cm dick sounds so impressive
    thast what she said

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Dude, you have no idea about me. I’ve been in your spot as a hospital administrator. My employees begged me to stay when I moved back to WA. I have empathy for anyone working for a living. My employer threw a huge raise to get me to stay. I gave two months notice. So save your smug and sanctimonious attitude for someone who doesn’t know what it’s all about. I’m a lot older than you and have probably taken the high road at every opportunity in real life. You’re an immature self important twat. Like most of the managers I worked with when I was one. The management culture is nauseating.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And you have no idea about me either. Or Coreshot for that matter. But that didnt stop you from insulting him as a father, and also his kid. Maybe you do take the highroad IRL, but you sure do like to slum it online.

See ya round.

This whole thread is lulz.

Two weeks ain’t much.

I’ve given two weeks notice and been told gtfo. Apparently I wasn’t needed.
    Also given two weeks and worked my ass off to transition.
    Also given two weeks and got paid for it and told not to work or come to the office.

Also gotten ass canned with a cardboard box and a security guard watching me gather my personal items.

Two weeks is a courtesy extended to the employer by the employee when appropriate. Some of you keep acting like it’s an obligation or a requirement.

Oddly, it seems perfectly fine for companies to do the opposite.

Most professionals will extend this courtesy because they understand the power of relationships in their industry.

If they don’t, it’s because they don’t give two shits about the relationships and whether it leaves anyone else in a lurch. Most people have to be pushed pretty far in their work environment or have extenuating personal circumstances for this to happen.

This is not rocket science.

Almost exclusively when you read/hear about this happening in the real world it’s when a manager is abusive or decides to fuck around and find out.

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    And you have no idea about me either. Or Coreshot for that matter. But that didnt stop you from insulting him as a father, and also his kid. Maybe you do take the highroad IRL, but you sure do like to slum it online.

See ya round.
    We do know that you’re a self important manager. That’s about all we need to know
    We’re all slumming it here boy

Lotta ugly in this thread. I’d counsel my kid to give standard notice too. You don’t have to stoop to the level of the shitheads you work for. Hold a higher standard. That still means something.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The management culture is nauseating.

What culture? Something super obvious in this thread (and elsewhere in our workplaces) is lack of acknowledgment of management as a hard, teachable skill. Instead we toss a bunch of bullshit around like “soft skills” and point to emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is intuiting that you need to talk to your staff like the humans they are, secure commitments and buy in, and understanding what brings them to work and why and what the threats to that are. But none of that is hard or challenging and learning how to do it has almost nothing to do with emotional intelligence, it’s just a little outside the box for many. And when it’s pointed out that this is a super simple conversation we instead spend 17 pages focused on nonsense like “common courtesy” and politeness.

People don’t just disappear except in rare and weird circumstances. OP and many others just weren’t paying attention. And the lack of social/work skills of many in this thread defy explanation.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Lotta ugly in this thread. I’d counsel my kid to give standard notice too. You don’t have to stoop to the level of the shitheads you work for. Hold a higher standard. That still means something.

What culture? Something super obvious in this thread (and elsewhere in our workplaces) is lack of acknowledgment of management as a hard, teachable skill. Instead we toss a bunch of bullshit around like “soft skills” and point to emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is intuiting that you need to talk to your staff like the humans they are, secure commitments and buy in, and understanding what brings them to work and why and what the threats to that are. But none of that is hard or challenging and learning how to do it has almost nothing to do with emotional intelligence, it’s just a little outside the box for many. And when it’s pointed out that this is a super simple conversation we instead spend 17 pages focused on nonsense like “common courtesy” and politeness.

People don’t just disappear except in rare and weird circumstances. OP and many others just weren’t paying attention. And the lack of social/work skills of many in this thread defy explanation.
    I agree with all that, unfortunately in my experience a large percentage of managers can’t grasp that. The management culture I refer to is the attitude that they, management, are somehow better than the workers and treat them as such.

In high school I walked out of BK in the middle of a shift when a friend came in and said we had to go to a party.

The day before, some kid went ankle-deep in the fryolater trying to change out the grease filters. And you had to clean the filters with lye and a hose and that shit splashed all over the place and the only gloves were full of holes. I just said fuckit let's go. Never did hear what happened with the burned kid after they took him to the hospital.

A while later I got a last check in the mail with a note that said, "Here's the final paycheck for the job you abandoned."

He had a fair hourly wage. Beach snack shack.
    But it was a suck job. And the boss stealing tips was the last straw.

So yeah. I’m raising a sheep.

But not really. He’s a shark. Super smart and motivated.

I’m just trying to teach him courtesy.
    So the boss was stealing from your kid and instead of having your kid demand to be paid what he was owed or he’d go to the labor department/social media you made him keep working for 2 weeks while the boss continued to steal from him. That’s fucked.

Only job I’ve walked out on was my part time job at Hechingers while in college. My boss in the electrical department told me I was focusing too much on my thesis and I needed to decide between working there or college. I asked if I heard his demand right, laughed in his face, punched out, and left.

The boss wasn’t stealing. He wasn’t sharing. Yeah. I said stealing. It is stealing. Tip jars are supposed to go to the line workers.
    When I tip that’s where I expect it to go.

14 year old making $16 per hour ain’t bad. But tips are for workers. Not the boss. Unless the boss is an asshole. Which he was and is. But I’m trying to teach my boy not to be like him.

Employees Quitting

Wage theft is the biggest type theft every year (in dollars) but somehow isn’t a criminal offense. Withholding tips is wage theft.

I imagine the the manager wouldn’t have an issue calling the cops if your kid took $20 out of the til every shift, but somehow this is ok with him (and you?).

Edit: https://www.edelson-law.com/blog/202...ft-in-america/

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Wage theft is the biggest type theft every year (in dollars) but somehow isn’t a criminal offense. Withholding tips is wage theft.

I imagine the the manager wouldn’t have an issue calling the cops if your kid took $20 out of the til every shift, but somehow this is ok with him (and you?).

Edit: https://www.edelson-law.com/blog/202...ft-in-america/
    Sure. Let’s get all litigious

But. Where in your employment contract are you given tips?
    He wasn’t the usual server working for four bucks plus tips. He got paid. But every tip for a smile and good service got scoured.
    I know servers can make bank at the right place.
    But wtf about having a shit base pay and hoping and praying you get good tips. It’s a weird economy.
    Flip side is making servers hourly and don’t give a shit if your food is cold
    I’m a 20% guy. Unless you suck. If the back kitchen fucks up I’ll still tip.
    Conflicted

He wasn’t the usual server working for four bucks plus tips. He got paid. But every tip for a smile and good service got scoured.
    But wtf about having a shit base pay and hoping and praying you get good tips. It’s a weird economy.
    Conflicted
    every post do you think “how can I be a bigger piece of shit? How can I teach people to swallow to defeat the jackboot gag reflex?”

get fucked. Hopefully your kids learn what shit advice you gave

iirc caligrown is some flavor of engineer and that culture is rotten

^^^^ go fuck yourself.

Seriously

And serially

Fact

Nothing I said was jackboot suck the corporate cubicle douche nozzle.
    Quite the opposite. But enjoy your suck fest.

Conflicted
    I said nothing about getting litigious, just that it’s fucked that the biggest form of theft isn’t criminal.

Tipping economy is also fucked. I survived on tips before, too, so I know how shitty it is. There’s a growing trend of restaurants keeping tips from online orders or calling them mandatory “service fees” etc in the small print that’s even worse.

All of that to say, if your son is literally getting stolen from, he doesn’t owe that company anything but a swift fuck you, and I’m shocked as his father you are forcing him to stay there two weeks for “values”. I would want to teach my kid the values of standing up for themselves and not blindly taking shit from the man. Especially in this economy where a hard worker can walk into any store and find a job.

But I hope it all works out for him.

I said nothing about getting litigious, just that it’s fucked that the biggest form of theft isn’t criminal.

Tipping economy is also fucked. I survived on tips before, too, so I know how shitty it is. There’s a growing trend of restaurants keeping tips from online orders or calling them mandatory “service fees” etc in the small print that’s even worse.

All of that to say, if your son is literally getting stolen from, he doesn’t owe that company anything but a swift fuck you, and I’m shocked as his father you are forcing him to stay there two weeks for “values”. I would want to teach my kid the values of standing up for themselves and not blindly taking shit from the man. Especially in this economy where a hard worker can walk into any store and find a job.

Yeah. Other than the angry dumbfree

I wasn’t saying he should sue. Nor implying you said that.

My reply was to clarify he was well paid per hour. Not the usual sub wage for servers that depend on tips.

The whole tip wage is fucked. Slow night? No dough. Good night cha Ching.
    And yet. There is a free market argument that tips are to insure proper service. Maybe it’s Ayn Rand gone wrong. Don’t know.
    I think paying fair wage and no tip makes sense for workers. Maybe I’m a communist.

^^^^ go fuck yourself.

Seriously

And serially

Fact

Nothing I said was jackboot suck the corporate cubicle douche nozzle.
    Quite the opposite. But enjoy your suck fest.
    hope it’s a warming suppository

you are being stupid, what’s new

the pernicious part of wage theft is it’s often below the letigious threshold. If, say, you get $2,000 stolen from you, what are the odds and cost of recovery? Not that that number has personal significance

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the pernicious part of wage theft is it’s often below the letigious threshold. If, say, you get $2,000 stolen from you, what are the odds and cost of recovery? Not that that number has personal significance
    How is a tip jar wage “theft”

It’s not like an underpaid server that expects tip pay on each bill?

Employees Quitting

How is a tip jar wage “theft”

It’s not like an underpaid server that expects tip pay on each bill?
    Tips given by a customer are expected to go to staff. It’s illegal for management to keep them regardless of base wages.

Tips given by a customer are expected to go to staff. It’s illegal for management to keep them regardless of base wages.
    Of course. That’s why I tip jar.
    My boys boss was a douche.

Apparently I should have told him to quit with no notice.
    Even though he was making good hourly pay.
    Got it.