Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You mean treat them like human beings?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Pretty much. People don’t really lie about that stuff if you act like you give a shit.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The point isn’t really to be a super cool boss or have some great culture or pay people better than the next guy or any of that. That stuff is all good and will reduce turnover. The point is to talk to your fucking employees and know what’s going on with them. Takes 5 minutes to ask about their week and their kids or wife or girlfriend or sick mom. Let them know that you rely on them and ask what their plans are. Anything big coming up? Where do you see yourself in a year anyways? How can I and this job help with that? Just let me know when it isn’t working anymore, I’ll write you a letter. Etc.
    Just like any other situation in life, giving respect doesn't always beget respect. The point is that assholes can exist at all levels of the organization, and the OP is an example of just that.

You shouldn't have to like someone lots to be able to treat them well. The OP is a basic civility/respect/rudeness issue.

Employees Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Just like any other situation in life, giving respect doesn't always beget respect. The point is that assholes can exist at all levels of the organization, and the OP is an example of just that.

You shouldn't have to like someone lots to be able to treat them well. The OP is a basic civility/respect/rudeness issue.
    We’re still kinda talking past each other. Respect and civility are mostly by-products, though it’s important enough and why wouldn’t you want to cultivate that? This is just knowing what’s going on with your people and then securing a commitment to come back next week if there’s a question mark. Collaborating with them for a solution or just offering advice and support if they need it. And having a contingency if it feels shaky.

And this is a general topic. It’s one anecdotal situation but it isn’t about this one guy, it’s about a phenomena that, IME, doesn’t happen much if you communicate with and get to know your teams. 5 minutes a week. Sometimes it feels like an interview or being nosy. Don’t forget to share your own story a little. It isn’t usually necessary for long term stable employees but do it anyways. Put it on the calendar/schedule if it isn’t happening naturally during the workday. It isn’t about being their friend.

Or, like, don’t. And work 7 days/week.
    focus.

Haha, yeah. Looks like we should cancel weekend and evening plans for a while so I can help cover sue's work when she quits in 2 weeks. Thank goodness mgmt doesn't know so they don't have the opportunity to shuffle staff around in preparation!

Happy I'm making time in my busy schedule to chat with you?
    Or maybe you as the manager shouldn't be defaulting to fucking over your employees with added work because you can't keep people on payroll.

When you lose staff that isn't the other employees fault, and you the manager need to deal with the decrease in the resulting overall productivity of your team due to reduced headcount.

Business isn't entitled to the same level of production if they do not have the headcount to support it.
    Live Free or Die

But he’s special! He’s a manager!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Or maybe you as the manager shouldn't be defaulting to fucking over your employees with added work because you can't keep people on payroll.

When you lose staff that isn't the other employees fault, and you the manager need to deal with the decrease in the resulting overall productivity of your team due to reduced headcount.

Business isn't entitled to the same level of production if they do not have the headcount to support it.
    This - back in the day I had 10 accounting teams around the western US reporting to me. If one of the Controllers quit, it was my job to fill the hole until I could recruit a replacement, not their staff’s job to do their bosses work.

Even when I got the usual two weeks notice, I could look forward to spending three days a week at subsidiary site for at least a month while recruiting and doing my Corp HQ job.

A good incentive to know your people- like Mustonen has pointed out many times

Manager asking employee to no-notice cancel my evening and weekends to cover their thin staffing and no slack schedules is on my bingo card for “I found a new job and I’m no-notice resigning” of valid reasons.

Does no one ever get sick? Family gets sick?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Ok. deadlines gets missed, client fires the company, no more work to do so the whole team gets laid off.

I have seen that happen.

The point of this thread is that it's an asshole move to no notice quit when people rely on you, and have treated you decently or better.

That is on you as the manager, not your employees. The remaining staff are not the problem and hold zero responsibility to keep you afloat because you can't manage a team well or keep headcount at a level where one employee brings the whole place down.

You make more as a manager and have more responsibility as a result. That's the deal. Do better.
    Live Free or Die

Ok. deadlines gets missed, client fires the company, no more work to do so the whole team gets laid off.

I have seen that happen.

The point of this thread is that it's an asshole move to no notice quit when people rely on you, and have treated you decently or better.
    Why do you keep trying to define how this conversation plays out? Op had to know what direction it would take. Maybe not though, he’s an employer after all

caligrown's employees are only working 15 hours per week to hear him tell it. If he can get 16 or 17 per week he might be able to cover a bunch of walkouts. Easy button.

^i wonder if he carries that attitude around the office

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    But he’s special! He’s a manager!

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    caligrown's employees are only working 15 hours per week to hear him tell it.
    C’mon. Thats not what he said. Theres plenty to pile on OP without resorting to laziness and dishonesty.

That's exactly what he said.

Ive only been in mgmt for the past few years, so all ive known is an industry going gangbusters and everyone scrambling to hire any warm body they can. And in that landscape, we have been constantly under/barely staffed and have had to keep on problem employees because we cannot afford to lose their 15hrs of productive work every week (out of 40).
    Now, say you're sorry.

All of this is a good reason to not be running your teams at 100% capacity at all times. If you only run them at say 80-90%, if someone leaves or gets sick, there’s room in the team to cover. It’s a lot easier to get people to cover other work when it doesn’t create long hours and/or chaos inside the company.

Employees Quitting

Haha. This thread is hilarious. Buncha old disgruntled farts projecting their career angst on a couple people here who admitted to managing people.

With the super general thread title I guess it’s the new “anti-work” rant against “the man” like the cool young kids thread.

Corporate greed is outta fucking control and it’s not due to middle management. That’s what THEY want you to think. Look a Wells Fargo, they blamed branch managers for the fake account scandal, then fired them and wiped their hands clean and said they fixed the problem (yes I know they were still penalized by the Gov). Fucking pathetic.

I am not a manager nor do I own a business.

Carry water. Get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Haha. This thread is hilarious. Buncha old disgruntled farts projecting their career angst on a couple people here who admitted to managing people.

With the super general thread title I guess it’s the new “anti-work” rant against “the man” like the cool young kids thread.

Corporate greed is outta fucking control and it’s not due to middle management. That’s what THEY want you to think. Look a Wells Fargo, they blamed branch managers for the fake account scandal, then fired them and wiped their hands clean and said they fixed the problem (yes I know they were still penalized by the Gov). Fucking pathetic.

I am not a manager nor do I own a business.

I have robots for employees because I can make them work 24/7, yell at them when they f'up and then go skiing (and work way too many hours).

Unfortunately, this thread is sounding a lot like an aspect of the divisive society we seem to be wallowing in these days. It'd be nice to see common courtesies and the Mutual Gratification Society come back into vogue.

Name:  FbrkYArXoAMc3Cv.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  100.5 KB
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by FortySixMac View Post
    You’re painting with a very, very broad brush.

- competitive wages for the position (especially with full, paid OJT spanning 1.5 months; no prior experience) with raises during their tenure
    - part time by their request as they have a full time job and wanted to be involved in the industry nonetheless
    - schedule is never shifting, and not a single occurrence of “no notice” shifts — always planned a month in advance with the same recurring weekday plus one weekend per month in addition.
    - no managers, just me, the owner — so, maybe shitty owner?

We have strayed from the topic at hand, and so lets bring it back.

What is considered a competitive wage for an employee "with no prior experience" PT in the outdoor industry? I assume you live in an expensive ski town, which should also be a consideration.

Also, so many "managers" in here miffed that when their human capital leaves for greener pastures (sometimes due to their shitty boss), they *gasp* have to pick up the slack until a new employee is hired and onboarded. Again, management 101 shit.

Wages have been stagnant since the 1970's. Before 1970 it was normal for a single income factory worker to buy a house and support a on non working wife and relatively large family. It's now impossible to buy a house in a ski town (shit, most cities too)with a white collar office job nowadays, let alone a service worker/minion. Add in 15% inflation that is only "kind of" abating, these people making anything under $30 an hour are just trying to survive for chrissakes.

If you did not get a 15%+ pay raise since the onset of COVID, you took a pay cut. Inflation is the hidden tax that everybody pays.

US consumer spending accounts for about 70% of our economy. Credit card debt is through the roof, and the US consumer is just about tapped out. Those bills will be coming due soon. It's already starting in the used car market. Get ready for a reckoning that will deeper and longer than you are being told.

Gee, thanks for the prophecy.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Staffing is up to management to get right, too few heads affects customer SAT but too many heads is not cost effective. IME staffing was only ever correct about 5% of the time but never for very long , the rest of the time super busy or taking it easy not doing much but hat is the game so suck it up
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-03-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    You guys think capitalist workplace relations suck? Try working for politicians and the public! And unless someone is a predator, outright thief, or some other criminal code misconduct, firing someone is at minimum a 2yr process.

Harden the fuck up. And be nicer to each other, eh?
    I mean we see this in real time with Congress on a daily basis. Someone like Santos would be fired where I work. Same for some of these other congress members and the toxic work environment they create.

A lot of service industries are struggling to keep people because customers are such jerks these days. I couldn't work in a daily customer facing job. So, props to the people that can and do it 5+ days a week.

And the grass isn't always greener when you quite one company and go to the next. It's just a different shade of green.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I just had the realization that some PT worker, doing 1 day a week and subsequently quitting their side gig has a bunch of middle aged men, who never met him, arguing for weeks and to the tune of over 150 posts.

He probably didn't see that coming. Let's see where this goes - can be a fantastic butterfly effect.

^next thing you know Ashton kutcher’s gonna wake up with no hands