Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    This is a weird ass thread.
    Blame it on the millennial work ethic phones and overall laziness

Non compete while you work for someone is cool. After a separation, is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Did the guy prepare to start his business while still employed or actually compete with Core Shot?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Small business owners touting free market capitalism afraid of competition. This is funny. Non compete, conflict of interest is bs. If you do it better why worry?l]
    Cuz when buddy was found out he really did get fired/ lost whatever $ or security he had working for CS, nothing theoretical on that action

Its like the original assertion in this thread the OP was owed something for almost nothing so what he really got was nothing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fuckkkk

Just fired a somewhat decent worker. No notice. He started a side biz. Complete with van and lettering for his new biz.

Fuck. I carried his mediocre ass for years.
    Good luck asshat.
    this

You sound like a Jack ass. What happened to enterprise and free markets? Hopefully he’ll put you out of business

I don’t…. What?

Enterprise and free markets means he can fire his ass, too. Working a side hustle is fine. Making your side hustle the same business as your main hustle isn’t exactly ethically ambiguous. The reverse analogy would be to have long term employees unknowingly train younger and cheaper employees to do their job before being laid off, or giving new employees stock options while expecting them to work fewer hours. It happens, but it’s bullshit when it does.
    focus.

It’s not always loyalty or future reference.

Sometimes we do things for common courtesy

Yeah. You can yell FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING CUNT to a stranger at the grocery store. But why? Because we are supposed to be civilized.

PS. Had some job interviews where they said they could start tomorrow even though they had a full time job. Fuck that. Might as well confess your fentanyl addiction.
    You must be a pleasure to work for

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    You must be a pleasure to work for

“I can start tomorrow” is a red flag if you’re currently employed. Don’t say that even if you mean it.

Or say that, whatever. But you better have a good explanation for it. It’s like watching your new girlfriend treat her ex like total shit. Forewarning…..
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    noncompetes are a lazy shitty way to try to assert property rights over shit that ain’t yours. If someone leaves and takes your Rolodex, you gotta case. If you are just a shitty cumshot, you don’t. Fuck no, they don’t have to buy your glory hole servicing

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I don’t…. What?

Enterprise and free markets means he can fire his ass, too. Working a side hustle is fine. Making your side hustle the same business as your main hustle isn’t exactly ethically ambiguous. The reverse analogy would be to have long term employees unknowingly train younger and cheaper employees to do their job before being laid off, or giving new employees stock options while expecting them to work fewer hours. It happens, but it’s bullshit when it does.
    So, I’ve always considered myself self employed at whatever job I’ve worked. Think of it like being a mercenary. It’s just business. I do what you pay me to do and you pay me what was negotiated including whatever benefits package is part of that. That’s as far as it goes. I have no other obligation to my employer than that and expect nothing else from them. You can build relationships with your employer but it’s not a requirement, same goes for them.

I don’t conduct my personal relationships in this manner because it’s not business. Whining about anything related to business is stupid. If you’re employee quits without notice that’s the price of doing business, move on. Whining about says more about the employer than the employee even if they were shitty.

Employees Quitting

So, I’ve always considered myself self employed at whatever job I’ve worked. Think of it like being a mercenary. It’s just business. I do what you pay me to do and you pay me what was negotiated including whatever benefits package is part of that. That’s as far as it goes. I have no other obligation to my employer than that and expect nothing else from them. You can build relationships with your employer but it’s not a requirement, same goes for them.

I don’t conduct my personal relationships in this manner because it’s not business. Whining about anything related to business is stupid. If you’re employee quits without notice that’s the price of doing business, move on. Whining about says more about the employer than the employee even if they were shitty.

Whining about quitting without notice is stupid. Agreed.

Hanging your own shingle while still employed, in the same business competing for the same accounts/clients/opportunities….. that is not generally accepted as ok by anybody who has thought about it.

ETA: there are compelling reasons to develop a meaningful relationship beyond “here to get mine,” if only just to get a little bit more meaning out of work. Not dissimilar to team sports. What you describe is almost adversarial and that doesn’t really feel like a ton of fun. But you do you I guess.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Whining about quitting without notice is stupid. Agreed.

Hanging your own shingle while still employed, in the same business competing for the same accounts/clients/opportunities….. that is not generally accepted as ok by anybody who has thought about it.

ETA: there are compelling reasons to develop a meaningful relationship beyond “here to get mine,” if only just to get a little bit more meaning out of work. Not dissimilar to team sports. What you describe is almost adversarial and that doesn’t really feel like a ton of fun. But you do you I guess.
    The meaning I get out of work is the work. Helping patients directly and by facilitating the work of the surgeons is the rewarding part if you disregard the compensation. I don’t care about the administration and my employer. I do care about my teammates.

Yeah. No. Non compete isn’t enforced here
    Just look me in the eye and tell me you’re my competition
    I’m ok with that.
    Free markets and shit.

If he were smart he would climb the ranks and buy my biz.

Ain’t it?
    In this scenario; you’re either an asshole employer and he was intentional or he’s a dumbass…

Well… Is he stupid?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I don't really hear anybody owning a mistake they made, just moving the blame to somebody else.

10 pages of not fixing anything.

I fired a guy who was handing out business cards to his side business while on my clock to my customers. His business failed and I hired him back.

He was losing his house because his wife maxed his credit cards and wasn't paying the mortgage. He told me the truth, we still talk.

He was desperate, some people suck, some are in a bad spot.

Listing to people can be worth the time. It might only be 30% of them but its worth it. My mistake is wasting a bunch of time on the ones who don't work out.

Never have a business that can't withstand the loss of a few people.

We are at a 54 year low in unemployment, if your job sucks, change it.
    If you can't get people, change your company.
    If you can't change your company, leave.

How about that latest jobs report? I blame it on people saying "I won't work for less than it costs for rent, food, car, iPhone 15+++++++++, craft brews, Hookers-n-Blow, , etc..".
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Update. He and I both slept on it. I didn’t sleep. Up since 3am.

He said he had “too much invested” in his side hustle.

But he was honest. Didn’t steal. And looked me in the eye.

We shook hands and he left. Such is life. And biz.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I don't really hear anybody owning a mistake they made, just moving the blame to somebody else.

10 pages of not fixing anything.

I fired a guy who was handing out business cards to his side business while on my clock to my customers. His business failed and I hired him back.

He was losing his house because his wife maxed his credit cards and wasn't paying the mortgage. He told me the truth, we still talk.

He was desperate, some people suck, some are in a bad spot.

Listing to people can be worth the time. It might only be 30% of them but its worth it. My mistake is wasting a bunch of time on the ones who don't work out.

Never have a business that can't withstand the loss of a few people.

We are at a 54 year low in unemployment, if your job sucks, change it.
    If you can't get people, change your company.
    If you can't change your company, leave.
    You sound like a good boss

Employees Quitting

Were you sleeping together?

It sounds like you’re not so bad after all. Faith in humanity is growing

well if he really needed his main hustle then he was a dumb ass

its not really a " no compete " in the usual sense which is where some one sells a business and can't be in that same business for however long was agreed

say he was fixing widgets or whatever for you in his main hustle and then fixing the same widgets in his side hustle that is a clear conflict of interest, cuz even if he wasn't directly stealing from you he was taking your business, intelectual property but obviously some people wouldn't get that as we see from the comments

so he has to choose which he did so now he will find out much fun your job is and he might come back with his hat in his hand looking for a job in a year

if he really wanted to do a side hustle ( now his main hustle ) he should have picked a different one

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well if he really needed his main hustle then he was a dumb ass

its not really a " no compete " in the usual sense which is where some one sells a business and can't be in that same business for however long was agreed

say he was fixing widgets or whatever for you in his main hustle and then fixing the same widgets in his side hustle that is a clear conflict of interest, cuz even if he wasn't directly stealing from you he was taking your business, intelectual property but obviously some people wouldn't get that as we see from the comments

so he has to choose which he did so now he will find out much fun your job is and he might come back with his hat in his hand looking for a job in a year

if he really wanted to do a side hustle ( now his main hustle ) he should have picked a different one
    Your use of intellectual property when talking about Core Shot is confusing

well i won't argue with you there ^^

maybe we just call it " stuff you gotta know for the main hustle "

Your use of intellectual property when talking about Core Shot is confusing

Is there such a thing as "dumbass property"? If not... there should be.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is there such a thing as "dumbass property"? If not... there should be.
    how about intellectual property belonging to a dumb ass ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how about intellectual property belonging to a dumb ass ?
    Seems kind of like an oxymoran.

The best you could play the cards you had and walked away with dignity. Not sleeping is a sign of caring.

That is being a boss, satisfying end to the thread.

Lock the thread before somebody fucks it up.