Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kastle thread...

Yes, they are dentist skis, but some of them are quite good.

Has anyone skied the FX106TI? Would love to hear how it stacks up against the Mantra 102. Looking for a slightly less firm snow oriented 105ish ski than the Mantra but is less of a missile than the Prior Husume(which rules high speed and deep pow).

Cheers
    A

There's a good review here of the BMX 105, ZX108 and FX106 - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-184?p=6766598

This is my second season on the ZX108, I really like them for powder / soft snow days and end up skiing them pretty often. Intrigued by the 106 as a bit more hard snow ski for more open terrain. And they have metal in them.

I love my fx 104 from yesteryear and was always surprised for their ability to pivot/slash with what is essentially a fully cambered design. so versatile, but was gonna a/b them against the m102 i picked up this year to see if they still have a spot

I have lots of days on the fx106ti and the mantra 102. The fx has softer tips and can be easier in bumps as a result. Lower swing weight too.

The back half of the fx is stiffer than the mantra. If you get backseat the tail is more punishing. You can’t ski centered on the fx - it’ll really take you for a ride and it’s much harder to recover. The mantra 102 is doesn’t punish skiing centered.

For attacking and skiing aggressively with weight forward, the fx is great and I prefer it to the mantra - including lower swing weight. But you can’t relax on the ski as much as you can on the mantra, and so I’d take the mantra most days.

Fx rips though.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have BMX 105 HPs for firmer/low tide skiing (haven't had to touch them all year).......they are lively fun skis though.

Got the tx98 and it’s a hell of a ski. Super light for the up but skis beefy on the way down. Curious about the difference between the fx 95 and the fx 95 hp. I found a pair of fx 95 at a screaming price and wonder if it is enough Ski to push hard as my Allrounder in Hard conditions

I’ve got the BMX105, BMX115, love them.
    ZX108, unmounted, selling them they’re noodles in the tip.

Considering a FX116 / ATK R12 for sidecountry, anyone skied them ? How do they compare to the BMX115 ?

Oh and just mounted some TX103 also to replace both my Wayback 106 and Mantra VWerks.

Kastle thread...

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Curious about the difference between the fx 95 and the fx 95 hp. I found a pair of fx 95 at a screaming price and wonder if it is enough Ski to push hard as my Allrounder in Hard conditions
    Never been on the FX but depending on your size weight and style, probably not. Desire to “push hard” sounds like you’d really want the HP.
    I have a pair of BMX 105 and in contrast to all those who love the BMX 105 HP I find them a bit lacking - and I certainly don’t like beefy charger type skis. Fine for lazy dad skiing, not great to “push hard”.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 02-01-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Got the tx98 and it’s a hell of a ski. Super light for the up but skis beefy on the way down. Curious about the difference between the fx 95 and the fx 95 hp. I found a pair of fx 95 at a screaming price and wonder if it is enough Ski to push hard as my Allrounder in Hard conditions
    FX doesn't have full sheets of metal in it, just some under the binding mount. The HP skis had two sheets of .5mm titanal through them.

FWIW: My wife skied the FX95HP the last few years and she'd demoed it against the non-HP in 2019. She said it was severely lacking and not substantial enough. She is not big and not a charger, but likes real skis.

We (I) picked up Kastle for the store this year as they have actual distribution in Canada again. I've never seen a "bad" review and have sentimental attachment to the brand from my youth. Also I thought the boot looked cool so sue me.
    We carry Volkl, Black Crows, Stockli, Rossi, Dynastar (which is two more brands than I ever wanted but that's how the cookie crumbles.
    If I had to pick between the M102 and the Kastle 106 I'd go Kastle every day (we actually skip the 102 and do regular Mantra M6 96 and Katana 108 as they orphan the 102 IMHO)
    So far the people that have tried the skis like them a lot even compared to our more traditional brands.
    If you are in Fernie feel free to come demo some.
    Last edited by waxman; 02-01-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    We (I) picked up Kastle for the store this year as they have actual distribution in Canada again. I've never seen a "bad" review and have sentimental attachment to the brand from my youth. Also I thought the boot looked cool so sue me.
    We carry Volkl, Black Crows, Stockli, Rossi, Dynastar (which is two more brands than I ever wanted but that's how the cookie crumbles.
    If I had to pick between the M102 and the Kastle 106 I'd go Kastle every day (we actually skip the 102 and do regular Mantra M6 96 and Katana 108 as they orphan the 102 IMHO)
    So far the people that have tried the skis like them a lot even compared to our more traditional brands.
    If you are in Fernie feel free to come demo some.
    So you've skied the FX106ti? Mind comparing it to the mantra or katana?

Thanks for the feedback folks. I’ll save my coin!

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    I’ve got the BMX105, BMX115, love them.
    ZX108, unmounted, selling them they’re noodles in the tip.

Considering a FX116 / ATK R12 for sidecountry, anyone skied them ? How do they compare to the BMX115 ?

Oh and just mounted some TX103 also to replace both my Wayback 106 and Mantra VWerks.
    Sick, I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the TX103 once you get a bit of time on them!

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    So you've skied the FX106ti? Mind comparing it to the mantra or katana?

"If I had to pick between the M102 and the Kastle 106 I'd go Kastle every day"

Me 5'9" 160ish, older semi technical skier prefer pow and groomer to bumps, ski every day the hill's open. This is my impression-the Kastle holds a better edge and is more lively/fun than the Volkl. On any given day I'd take a Stormrider 95/102, Atris, Corvus or the Kastle before the Mantra. That being said the Mantra 96 and 102 are 2 of our most popular skis at retail so what do I know? If we send a person out with a Mantra and another ski so they can compare 75% of the time they take the other ski. YMMV
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I love the fx96ti and 106ti. My only complaint is that you really don’t want any lazy skiing on them. When game on - they’re the tits. But for me when I’d like to chill out a bit or am caught in steep moguled up, technical terrain and I’m not at 100% (like end of day) - they still require a forward driving and aggressive approach, when the mantras will let you slow down and be a little more chill and still be enjoyable. Get backseat or centered on the fx106ti in steep moguls and you’re in for a ride. Mantra 102 will let you slide it around with weight centered without sending you down the hill like you stepped on the gas.

Have the FX95 HP. Works well for me as an everyday low tide ski. Stable, haven’t really found a speed limit. Not what I would call playful.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.powder7.com/ski-blog/kastle-skis-preview/

Holy shit the new ZX line is ugly.

Yeesh yea, those are ugly, really dig the 100 and 115, definitely reward the skier who stays on top of them
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    Yeesh yea, those are ugly, really dig the 100 and 115, definitely reward the skier who stays on top of them
    Currently have a pair of 108's, one of my favorite skis in a while. I tried the 100 but they felt a bit locked in to me, maybe because they have a good bit more camber. I also tried easing the edges a bit but they never clicked. Time to pick up a spare pair of 108's and maybe 115's.

anyone have time on both the bmx105hp and the fx106Ti?

love my bmx and wondering if I should make moves to hoard any I find or if the FX is close enough.
    I really did not enjoy the FX96Ti or 86. Very dead feeling skis that I couldn’t seem to get along with, but I did only get a day on each

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    Currently have a pair of 108's, one of my favorite skis in a while. I tried the 100 but they felt a bit locked in to me, maybe because they have a good bit more camber. I also tried easing the edges a bit but they never clicked. Time to pick up a spare pair of 108's and maybe 115's.
    whered you mount? i went gen z and they pivot feel a little more reactive.

did notice i have to slash it down a little in steeper terrain to keep form but the predictability of the ski is awesome

I backed off a hair from the Gen Z line, maybe .5 cm back. I think I'd mount the next pair fully on the Gen Z line. I did mount my 100's just ahead of the traditional line but slightly further back then the 108's. This might have been part of the problem. On the Gen Z line, 108's feel balanced and easy to pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by sweatypowderpig View Post
    anyone have time on both the bmx105hp and the fx106Ti?

love my bmx and wondering if I should make moves to hoard any I find or if the FX is close enough.
    I really did not enjoy the FX96Ti or 86. Very dead feeling skis that I couldn’t seem to get along with, but I did only get a day on each
    Would like to hear the comparison of those two as well. The fx106Ti looks pretty nice. I have the bmx105hp in the 188cm. So much I like about 105hp but the amount of tip taper is not one of them. Such a sweet ski in soft snow and pow but too much tip taper makes for not great hard pack performance IMO. Looks like the fx106 has way less taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Would like to hear the comparison of those two as well. The fx106Ti looks pretty nice. I have the bmx105hp in the 188cm. So much I like about 105hp but the amount of tip taper is not one of them. Such a sweet ski in soft snow and pow but too much tip taper makes for not great hard pack performance IMO. Looks like the fx106 has way less taper.
    I found the zx100 to be comparable to the bmx, altho zx is heavier and a bit stiffer

As per the TGR usual, most are looking at 100mm+ skis, but I picked up a pair of 175 MX83s for my groomer + coaching ski. Finally skied them for the first time yesterday. Absolutley loved them. (I'm 5'9"/160lbs and ski Tahoe for reference). I can turn 'em at slow speeds, but they lock in on the steep and firm. Skied amazingly well on the windblown and some of the soft snow from last week's refresh. Even skied small bumps ok. Way more versatile than the 165 cm Redster and much more solid than the 176 RTM 84's they are replacing. Even on a deal they were spendy, but one helluva ski!