Cold weather traverse/expedition boot solutions

I’m gradually becoming more enthusiastic about exploring colder more remote places, and simultaneously having more trouble keeping my feet warm. Here’s my situation:
    I’m in La Sportiva Skorpius boots, in a 26. I’ve always been a 26. I’m struggling to keep toes warm when it’s teens or below. I’ve got Palau liners from skimo that fit and tour well, but they have a material around the toes they call “Perf” thats a mesh covered open cell foam. At the end of cold tours when I take out my liners, the toe area is covered in frost. I think moisture is coming off my foot, moving through the perf and then freezing against the shell. I want to put scarpa pro tour evo liners in because they have real foam all the way around the toes, but fear i don’t have enough internal shell length. I could try the local bootfitter to punch for length or just find 27’s. Or, I could modify my -40 overboots which are incredibly warm but make adjustments and transition’s really tough and add lots of weight. Also, if i cut holes in the overboots then they are useless for camp shoes.

Questions:
    Will 27’s with bigger liners ski like crap?
    Any overboot ideas that work? I’ve had no luck with boot gloves being any warmer.
    Can I punch for length enough to matter without wrecking tech fitting alignment?
    Should I just get a higher volume boot like a radical pro and count on it being warmer?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Super gaiters
    watch out for snakes

I have a former co-worker who's a guide and has bad Reynauds and he swears by bigger boots with thicker liners and socks. But a lot of his guiding is long traverses where downhill performance is secondary to warmth and comfort so I don't know how well they actually ski on the downhill.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Get Intuitions in the appropriate style and volume. You’ll get a deeper heel pocket than the Palaus, so more toe room, use a toe cover to maximize toe area volume, punch for toe volume if still necessary (likely not) and the quality of the foam and the full foam toe box will be significantly warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Get Intuitions in the appropriate style and volume. You’ll get a deeper heel pocket than the Palaus, so more toe room, use a toe cover to maximize toe area volume, punch for toe volume if still necessary (likely not) and the quality of the foam and the full foam toe box will be significantly warmer.
    This answer makes me feel good, as it requires no new shells. In your opinion, would Intuition built Scarpa pro tour evos be the right volume choice for lower volume touring boots?

Intuition Pro Tour (too much volume) and Tour wrap(soft/unremarkable) neither one sound like the right answer.

Gravity always wins...

Look at a diagram of arteries in the foot and ankle and pad them before molding liners

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Look at a diagram of arteries in the foot and ankle and pad them before molding liners
    Ooh! Good idea, thanks.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Intuition Pro Tour (too much volume) and Tour wrap(soft/unremarkable) neither one sound like the right answer.

You can get pro tours in different volumes. Needed low volume in my boots. I don’t find the pro tours nearly as warm as any of the non-tour wraps, but yeah they walk worse

I ski in skorpius size 27,5 (my normal size) in a cold climate. Or it at least used to be cold. I do think these are cold boot, i have never had issues with Cold feet touring, but i do get a bit cold toes in these. And can't drive sleds with them for extended periods in below zero (F) temps, which was never an issue with maestrales for example. I'm somehow still in the stock liners after a couple seasons, and hope i can jam a low volume intuition in there now that i can tell the stock liners are totally blown up.

I'd size up for length, but i already feel like i have too much volume around the midfoot and heel. Curious what you discover!

I believe Scorpius is known for having a low instep. That’s the most common arterial pinch point. When you take your boots off is that area red. Did your cold feet troubles start when you started using this boot?

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    This answer makes me feel good, as it requires no new shells. In your opinion, would Intuition built Scarpa pro tour evos be the right volume choice for lower volume touring boots?

Don’t know about the Scarpa versions, but as has already been mentioned, Intuition pro tours do come in multiple volumes. I use non tour versions of intuitions in my touring boots, as I find they’re more comfortable and durable, and that after a little use the ROM is indistinguishable.

Turnfarmer- I ended up in Skorpius because I too have a low instep- they are very comfortable in this regard and no redness or undue pressure.

I live in the east central Cascades, and used to be in the Tetons- so temps occasionally go below zero for a bit. I now indulge in traverses and campouts in AK and elsewhere, so i may have become more concerned about the consequences of extended cold exposure. I also turned forty this year feel I’m just not as bulletproof in the cold as I used to be. Honestly, noticed the change back in 2011 when I started using TLT5’s, I’m just less tough now.

I’ll do a little more research on low volume Pro Tours and Scarpa options, and give it a try.

Gravity always wins...

@Riff, I just checked, and my Palau Tour Lit Pro liners also have the perforated toes. Never noticed that before!

The Palau branded liners in my daughters Hagan boots have a beefier cuff, and fully closed cell foam toe. Might be worth checking.

I have often found Scarpa Liners cheap on Sierra TP in the past, might be worth a look.