ZAG Ubec 89, DPS Cassiar 87t, or Skitrab supermaximo for lightweight backcountry

Looking to put together a lightweight backcountry set up for use in the west of Norway. No real resort use. I'm 77kg (171lbs), 169cm (5'6"), and ski pretty tamely. Will probably mount a semi racing binding like a Dynafit superlite, Plum Oazo etc. The following short list came about mainly from offers I have found.

ZAG Ubec 89 - 1170g - 171cm long 122 89 108
    Tip and tail rocker. In theory suit my style best on the downhill, and are also the lightest. Most expensive though.

DPS Cassiar 87t - 1205g - 169cm long 118 87 106
    Tip rocker and flat tail. Very curious to tour1 lay up on these. Found an amazing deal on them.

Skitrab supermaximo - 1290g - 171cm long 127 96 116
    No real rocker. but lots of ski area for the weight. Look more like a lightweight charging ski to me though. bit of a wildcard selection.

I'd appreciate any input on these skis. Mainly looking at the ZAG and the DPS really. Both will skin equally well. The DPS is very well priced. But is it just a lightened resort design?

Thanks.

Lee

Given you're in Norway, don't forget about these guys: https://moonlightmountaingear.com/co...s/touring-skis

I have one of the older Mission models and have been very pleased.

No experience with those, but I’ll note that a little tail rocker goes a long way on making it a bit more manageable for inevitable funky snow.
    While I’m thinning my quiver, I still have a hole in the really lightweight spring tour ski. Will look at zag. Also looking at dynafit blacklight pro (stiff). Whatever Down eventually does. And just heard of Osgo… https://ogso-mountain-essentials.com...ical-overview/

Also SGN is nearby

My selection is based on relevant skis on clearance. So these moonlight skis are a chunk over budget. But these guys are Local and the mission 92 looks amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

Like the rocker profile of these Osgo. Interesting.

Your comment on tail rocker mimic my slight skepticism towards the DPS. They talk of powering out of turns. I’m often turning to avoid trees. I don’t want powering into the next one LOL. I’ve been mountaineering on a fat and long iRock ski and the one thing I appreciated most was the swivel out of trouble nature of it.

SGN hurrangane is in my list. If I can find an offer

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    They definitely put some dealios out there on prior season stuff

Also, just email SGN and ask about discounts. I emailed them about the Togga back in November, and the guy offered me a bespoke 25% discount on a new pair (Are was his name)! It helps I've bought directly from SGN before, but maybe he can hook you up too since you're local.

Moonlight never goes on sale, that's a bummer indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post

The mission ultra light ticks every box. Seems to have long rocker profiles front and back and is crazy light.

But they'er way over budget.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    No experience with those, but I’ll note that a little tail rocker goes a long way on making it a bit more manageable for inevitable funky snow.
    While I’m thinning my quiver, I still have a hole in the really lightweight spring tour ski. Will look at zag. Also looking at dynafit blacklight pro (stiff). Whatever Down eventually does. And just heard of Osgo… https://ogso-mountain-essentials.com...ical-overview/
    Do you have any more insight into the Dynafit backlight?

I've found a great deal on the 95 which puts at the top of my value list. Its basically the same weight as the 87-89 waisted selections. Plus the rocker and side cut profile look spot on. My only slight worry is that theyll be a bit stiff and unforgiving.

With really skiff skis, getting a shorter length helps make it more maneuverable in tight spots. I haven’t skied the Blacklights, but they definitely look like skis that should be forgiving, as long as you get the right length. The minimal sidecut and rocker profile looks like it should help compensate for the extreme stiffness.

I would get some advice on length from Dynafit or a shop that sells Dynafit.
    Last edited by Karl_H; 02-02-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    With really skiff skis, getting a shorter length is helps make it more maneuverable in tight spots. I haven’t skied the Blacklights, but they definitely look like skis that should be forgiving, as long as you get the right length. The minimal sidecut and rocker profile looks like it should help compensate for the extreme stiffness.

I would get some advice on length from Dynafit or a shop that sells Dynafit.
    Thats a very timely and interesting answer.

I'm 169cm tall and I've automatically been looking at skis around 170. I guess in a more free-touring mindset. So looking at the Backlight 95 in a 172. For my height and more general touring focused useage I've actually just been reading recommendations to 5-15 cm below my height. Not sure I want to go that low. But definitely think the 165 backlight will fit better for the up. If it works well for the down too thats a great bonus.

I tried the Blacklight 88 and thought it was pretty good, then I found a good deal on some Blacklight 95s and bought them. The 88 is a bit too stiff, and the 95 felt even stiffer with a hand flex. Strangely, the 95 has more camber than the 88. Ultimately I figured the 95s would be too demanding for me and different enough from the 88 that I ended up getting rid of them instead of skiing them.

These Blacklights are starting to sound a bit too stiff for the Alien RS boots I was looking at.......?