Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine popup

Is herpes that bad?

is the pop up bad?
    Last edited by k2skier112; 01-29-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Is herpes that bad?
    PM Rontele
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I didn't mind a few of the little sidebar ads or links to TGR content but the Caffeine popup took it too far - there was no X to close it. So the nuclear option was to use my ad blocker to block page elements and I've now blocked everything that was on the sidebar or inline ads / TGR content.

What marketing genius thinks that kind of approach will make people want to click on it and watch? X Games is some tired ass shit anyway snooze fest
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I didn't mind a few of the little sidebar ads or links to TGR content but the Caffeine popup took it too far - there was no X to close it. So the nuclear option was to use my ad blocker to block page elements and I've now blocked everything that was on the sidebar or inline ads / TGR content.
    Awesome could you elaborate for the digitally delayed?

My ad blocker won't block it, whelp this could be the end of TGR for me.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Awesome could you elaborate for the digitally delayed?
    I use AdGuard as my ad blocker. Just click the icon in the browser menu bar and click "select" next to the "block an element" text. It'll pop up a box and let you choose specific page elements that will be prevented from loading.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 8.01.02 AM.png
Views: 337
Size:  95.4 KB

Thanks Pinned seems to work for me.

On Mac/Chrome click ad guard

"block ads on this site"

select the element and hit ok

^^ This worked for me as well.

So fucked.

Trg puts out an obnoxious pop up ad that forces more people to use ad blockers. Lulz.

The best blockers don’t block. They flush the ad down the toilet and the advertisers are all creaming about how many views they had that never got viewed

Since it's coming up on the one year anniversary of this famous line (perhaps adjusted a little to suit the situation):

"Caffeine TV - go F@#$ yourself"

Thanks Pinned.

Haven’t logged on here on a computer for a long while so I wasn’t sure what this thread was about. I don’t get this on my phone.

I have AdBlock in Chrome. I could not block the popout, but when I scroll to the top of the page it pops in, and then I blocked it and it's gone even when I scroll down or go to a new page. Still have the sidebar and the bottom right TGR ad, so that gets a nickel or two for new server fans.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

I fortunately have no idea what this popup is. I'm viewing the site on my phone in the duckduckgo browser app using the metro black and white view.

You can now block it using Adblock Plus, which is a mild improvement, but it still comes back anytime you navigate to a new page. There's also a new "x" at the top right which too is an improvement, but it comes back on a new page too.

X games are over, can we end this "content" now?
    I still call it The Jake.

AdGuard, not AdBlock, is what Pinned referred to. No upgrades necessary. It's working for me, and has not come back anywhere.

the mothership is supposedly going to get rid of it today. cross your junk.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

it's a bit late for those of us that are now running adguard - and blocking all ads

genius move whoever thought this would be well received

yeah ad sellers might think their blocked ads are still getting "views" - but they're not gonna get any clicks on these invisible ads

and I'm someone who does click on adds when I see gear pop up I'm interested in checking out

I don't see any ads on the phone but well done Danno

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    genius move whoever thought this would be well received
    I'm no expert in this realm, but I don't think there's a bunch of people sitting in a room, deciding to install a popup ad on the forum.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm no expert either - but someone somewhere made the decision - unless it was chatbot

got me off my lazy ass to figure out how to install an adblocker extension - so maybe I shouldn't be salty - probably will save money this way

I appreciate you as a mod passing along our irritation Danno

For future reference, I used the Element Picker function on uBlock to create a filter that hides just the annoying video. Not the Element Zapper feature, which only removes things temporarily. Quick n' dirty for anyone that uses uBlock and cares:

Open the uBlock menu and click the Element Picker icon (looks like an eye dropper).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 11.55.15 AM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	678.8 KB 
ID:	445243

The screen will dim, and highlight different things on the page while you move the mouse around. Click on the annoying AF video ad.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 11.55.24 AM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	445245

You can move the Element Picker window around if you need to. But the thing here is to look at the list of Network Filters. Picking one of these will hide anything being served from a particular URL. Note that the first suggested filter is super long and includes the URL of the forum page you are viewing... don't use that one as it'll only block this little fucker on that exact page. Pick the one below that, that is just the root URL of the Caffeine.tv video, and it'll block it on all pages of the forum no matter what thread you're reading. Once you have that selected, click create and enjoy video-ad-free forum viewing.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 11.55.35 AM.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	445248

Also good work Danno on getting that shit removed, if you had anything to do with it beyond sending them an email to let them know there was mutiny afoot.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 01-30-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

It seems to be gone.

Thanks Danno.