Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cheap 4WD truck shopping 2023

Another "what vehicle" thread... but I think this is sufficiently different:

I am looking for a cheap-ish used 4WD pickup truck. Needs to be at least extended cab, crew cab would be nice but ext cab is probably OK. Half ton is fine, but wouldn't pass up a deal on a 3/4-ton. Usage for this truck will be towing a couple of smaller trailers (bigger one is a travel trailer, maxes out around 3800#, but I assume I'll load up the truck bed with plenty more crap while towing), some light offroad, general household usage, winter beater. Not a daily driver. Fuel economy is not a significant factor.

Price and age:I'd like to keep this around $10-15K, tops. Hopefully 2005ish or newer.

Candidates: here's where the thread comes in - looking for suggestions that I may not have given much thought to. Looking for a fullsize (Tundra would be fine), not midsize (not a Tacoma, Frontier, or Dakota), so probably a V8 gas truck, automatic transmission. Don't want a diesel or manual transmission for this. Think I'd prefer a truck bed for this vehicle, so probably not a Sequoia, Tahoe/Yukon, etc. No flatbed, no crew cab longbeds - just an ordinary length pickup.

Thinking first gen Nissan Titan might be a good choice. Cheaper than Tundra, reasonably reliable. Am somewhat tempted to buy another GM 2500 with the 6.0 V8 / 4L80e, as I'm familiar with them - just would look for one in better condition than my old truck, now departed.

Trucks I'm kind of ruling out based on history of common problems (though I welcome input): Ford with the 5.4 V8 and any V10, Dodge Ram generally.

And if anyone here has something they're selling, let me know. I'm in Reno NV.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My friend, it’s already in your browser history.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
    I still call it The Jake.

10-15k isn't a lot in the truck market, but I think you are on the right track with the Titan.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My friend, it’s already in your browser history.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
    Done!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm in Truckee selling a basic bitch 2008 Sierra crew 4x4 I'll message you the deets.

I love my 2004 crew cab Tundra with 190k miles that is worth about $10k, but if you are used to towing with a 2500, you would be disappointed. Even moderate loads are an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Trucks I'm kind of ruling out based on history of common problems (though I welcome input): Ford with the 5.4 V8.
    The 5.4 is relatively low risk if you look toward the end of the range ('09-'10). They had the bugs worked out pretty well by that point and the 6R80 6-sp tranny drives quite nice IMO. FX4 trims had pretty nice interiors for that time period, too. My '10 FX4 is also impressively quiet inside if that matters to you.

The 5.0 Coyote motors were also not without problems, especially in the early MYs. Google "Ford 5.0 problems" for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The 5.4 is relatively low risk if you look toward the end of the range ('09-'10). They had the bugs worked out pretty well by that point and the 6R80 6-sp tranny drives quite nice IMO. FX4 trims had pretty nice interiors for that time period, too. My '10 FX4 is also impressively quiet inside if that matters to you.

The 5.0 Coyote motors were also not without problems, especially in the early MYs. Google "Ford 5.0 problems" for details.
    I'll counter that '12-14 5.0 trucks don't cost much more, and the early 5.0 problems were mostly isolated to 2011 and early 2012 builds as I understand it. It has been a while since I have looked.

Ditto on the 6R80, interior, and quietness. My 2012 is a great driving vehicle and it makes my wife's Rav4 seem loud inside.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'll counter that '12-14 5.0 trucks don't cost much more, and the early 5.0 problems were mostly isolated to 2011 and early 2012 builds as I understand it. It has been a while since I have looked.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, all else being equal-ish definitely get a '13-onward 5.0 over a '09-'10 5.4. I'm just saying not to dismiss a '09-'10 5.4 out of hand.

Cheap trucks? Asking for a telemark friend.
    watch out for snakes

Nothing to contribute aside from a point of reference:

I paid $9.5K for a one owner ‘00 Tundra w/150K back in November. California truck in great shape but not immaculate.
    Last edited by North; 01-26-2023 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I'm in Truckee selling a basic bitch 2008 Sierra crew 4x4 I'll message you the deets.
    Hmm. Interesting.

And thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming.

Another 2500. End of thread.

Hmm. Interesting.

And thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming.
    I can't see a way to pm in mobile b&w skin on my phone...? I sent it as visitor messages to you, whatever the heck that is.

Also, now posted on Reno cl...

I telemark and just picked up a 2013 f-150 ecoboost 4 door. Higher mileage than I would have liked but well within your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I can't see a way to pm in mobile b&w skin on my phone...? I sent it as visitor messages to you, whatever the heck that is.

Also, now posted on Reno cl...
    I can't find that on Tapatalk - will look later on a desktop computer.

Looking at older Tundras, I see some early 2000s with 200K miles, 4.7L engine, fairly cheap - like well under $10K. A $6K truck leaves lots of room for repair funds. Will have to do some googling on old Tundras and see what problem areas I need to look for.

I have a general biased feeling that an old cheap Tundra may give fewer problems than a slightly newer Ford or GM product.

You don’t want any 2000ish Toyota that has lived in the northeast. It will be rotten if still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    You don’t want any 2000ish Toyota that has lived in the northeast. It will be rotten if still alive.
    I don't want any vehicle from the northeast, of any age. I'll take higher mileage with zero rust = California trucks.

I'm kind of tempted by a 2006ish Suburban 2500 6.0 I saw online, something like 125K miles, looks pristine inside and out - frame photos look like it just rolled out of the factory, with manufacturing stickers still intact. Though I really should get a pickup for this vehicle.

Cheap 4WD truck shopping 2023

My only issue with a 4.7l Toyota engine has been ignition coil failure. An relative easy fix if you have a code reader, extra coil, and tools. At least in the cruiser, some of the coils are tricky-ish to access.

You missed out on the $291,000 bronco resto mod on bat.

Such a deal.

PS. Suburban 2007 1500 with 260k miles and frame still good. I love that truck. Engine rebuilt at 180k before I bought it. But that thing is bulletproof

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    I telemark and just picked up a 2013 f-150 ecoboost 4 door. Higher mileage than I would have liked but well within your price range.
    I guess truck prices really have peaked then. When my truck got totaled in November '21 anything Ecoboost and <200k was going for well over $20k. People were asking >$20k for absolutely clapped 10 y.o. Tundras with >200k and branded titles.

Looking at older Tundras, I see some early 2000s with 200K miles, 4.7L engine, fairly cheap - like well under $10K. A $6K truck leaves lots of room for repair funds. Will have to do some googling on old Tundras and see what problem areas I need to look for..
    The 4.7 is a dog compared to the 5.7 for a negligible improvement in mpg. Definitely get a 5.7 if you're going to do 2500-ish things with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    well played. Michael approves.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just got a '09 Tundra w/ 130k for $18k. Great condition. Lifted and stuff that I really didn't want or need but is cool to have. It's the 5.7 and fast as fuck, especially compared to my '20 Taco.

Is a cheap truck still cheap if you need to spend a bunch of $ on it OR is it better to spend more and not have to ?

I had this convo with the mechanic at Free Lance automotive

his name is of course Lance

a telemarker means the vendor had to make the deal before he ran out of dope
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Another "what vehicle" thread... but I think this is sufficiently different:
    I don't have a huge experience with different models of Smart Cars, but I'll still weigh in. My mom does have a Kia Soul, so I do have some experience there. Maybe something from India recently that passed the 25 year import restriction? An Ambassador would give a certain quirky gravitas here.

I am looking for a cheap-ish used 4WD pickup truck.
    I mean, you didn't ask for a brown, manual diesel wagon I guess...