Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    $15k, like I said higher mileage but PCM says its been 4k miles since last code reset. I will take it.

Just keep your eyes open and be ready

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	504DBAFD-1527-4C80-A616-101B1B5EB6F5.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	444847

With regards to a Tundra, consider that a first gen Tundra is not near the size of the second gen and beyond. I have a 2003 first gen Tundra and love it, mostly because the size is between a Tacoma and a all later gen Tundra's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    With regards to a Tundra, consider that a first gen Tundra is not near the size of the second gen and beyond. I have a 2003 first gen Tundra and love it, mostly because the size is between a Tacoma and a all later gen Tundra's.
    Also T100s are pretty awesome if you can find one with no rust. Or even if you can i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    well played. Michael approves.
    Serz . I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Also T100s are pretty awesome if you can find one with no rust. Or even if you can i guess.
    T100 is a great size. Also way underpowered for what I'm looking for.

I'm not in a big rush, just starting to look. I have a feeling I'll have to go pick up something from Sacramento - ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Used car prices are dropping like stones. The challenge right now is to wait for all the sellers to realize that.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Used car prices are dropping like stones. The challenge right now is to wait for all the sellers to realize that.
    Sssssh! I'm trying to sell a truck right now!

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Another 2500. End of thread.
    This.

Bump. Looking more seriously now.

How small is the back seat on a first gen Tundra access cab (extended cab)?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Crazy what “cheap” means
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9639.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	456159

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bump. Looking more seriously now.

How small is the back seat on a first gen Tundra access cab (extended cab)?
    It's OK for short rides or maybe kids. I have a front bench seat in mine, and have had 7 (3 in front, 4 in the back) full size skiers in ski boots for short rides back to the lifts doing side country laps.

It's OK for short rides or maybe kids. I have a front bench seat in mine, and have had 7 (3 in front, 4 in the back) full size skiers in ski boots for short rides back to the lifts doing side country laps.
    How would you say it compares to an extended cab Tacoma (2005+ models), or any domestic brand extended cab fullsize?

I'm wondering if I should pass on the 1st gen access cab Tundras, and look for a first gen double cab...

Don't have any point of reference aside from 1st gen tacomas (I have to sit sideways in those). The Tundra has ok legroom, but anybody over 6' tall will feel cramped - not a ton of headroom.

How would you say it compares to an extended cab Tacoma (2005+ models), or any domestic brand extended cab fullsize?

I'm wondering if I should pass on the 1st gen access cab Tundras, and look for a first gen double cab...
    Before my Tundra I had a full size extra cab Dodge Ram. I would consider neither of these, or the like, to be a people hauler. It's just cargo space. I may get a new truck and if I do it will be some sort of double cab.

Before my Tundra I had a full size extra cab Dodge Ram. I would consider neither of these, or the like, to be a people hauler. It's just cargo space. I may get a new truck and if I do it will be some sort of double cab.
    Thanks. My old GMC Sierra extended cab was decent for rear seat space for people -- not spacious, but not torturous either. I assume the first gen Tundra extended cab is smaller, but the question really is just how much smaller.

It'll mostly be for the dogs to ride back there anyway.

Cross posting from the Land Cruiser sale thread -

My truck search is done. Brought home a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.0 gas, 4WD, extended cab, shortbed. Just under 200K miles. Scratches and minor dents, faded paint on hood and roof, mild frame rust, no body rust. $6700. I think it was a Nevada vehicle its whole life. Stock suspension, no goofy lift kits or any red flag aftermarket junk. There's a K&N air intake tube and filter, and I'm not a fan of K&N, so I may replace that with a stock airbox setup. Has a Tekonsha Primus trailer brake controller.

Seller is a vehicle mechanic for the city of Sparks. He repaired / replaced in the last two years (his ownership time) knock sensors and harness, intake manifold gaskets, lower ball joints, power steering hoses, battery, all brakes and rotors + flushed brake system, water pump + flushed cooling system, side towing mirrors, and the stereo (aftermarket head unit hooked into factory Bose system, which sounds amazingly good). We talked a lot about the mechanical things on the truck, he clearly knew what he was talking about.

Initial inspection shows it needs new shocks, driver's door window and lock panel doesn't work reliably (switch issue), front tires are scalloped on outer edges (possibly why the ball joints got replaced - I'll get under there and inspect tie rods, idler, and pitman), exhaust hanger at tailpipe is broken, some interior bulbs are out, key fob remote doesn't work well. Minor stuff.

Truck came with a second set of OEM bare wheels, and a large aluminum toolbox with no key. I might keep that toolbox and mount some bike fork mounts to the top. It takes up a lot of space in a 6.5' bed though.

In summer of 2021, I sold my 2000 GMC Sierra 2500, 6.0 gas, 4WD, extended cab, longbed, around 135K miles (hard miles by prior owners), $6500. (Bought it in 2011 for $7000.) Significant rust, had to repair rockers by cutting out parts. Much rougher condition inside and underneath. Transmission occasionally showed signs of slipping. It was time for it to go. But my decade of owning and repairing it means I know this model pretty well inside and out, so I have a good feeling about my new used beater truck.

Nice...looks like a runner. That's a good deal I think.

I was about to make some wise-crack about "didn't you just sell the same truck?" but the last paragraph explained it. The $7000>6500>6700 math for the younger/better is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I was about to make some wise-crack about "didn't you just sell the same truck?" but the last paragraph explained it. The $7000>6500>6700 math for the younger/better is pretty sweet.
    I'm happy with the pricing. The old "$7000" truck consumed around $3000 in parts over the decade I had it, but that included 2 sets of AT tires and a set of winter tires that went along when I sold it. Still, $3500 for a decade's use of a truck is pretty cheap.

I bought a '98 Taco TRD in 2004 for $10k and it ran for another decade plus and 200K more miles with very little in the way of service put into it. Timing belt was the biggest expense and I did it twice.

Cross posting from the Land Cruiser sale thread -

My truck search is done. Brought home a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.0 gas, 4WD, extended cab, shortbed. Just under 200K miles. Scratches and minor dents, faded paint on hood and roof, mild frame rust, no body rust. $6700. I think it was a Nevada vehicle its whole life. Stock suspension, no goofy lift kits or any red flag aftermarket junk. There's a K&N air intake tube and filter, and I'm not a fan of K&N, so I may replace that with a stock airbox setup. Has a Tekonsha Primus trailer brake controller.

Seller is a vehicle mechanic for the city of Sparks. He repaired / replaced in the last two years (his ownership time) knock sensors and harness, intake manifold gaskets, lower ball joints, power steering hoses, battery, all brakes and rotors + flushed brake system, water pump + flushed cooling system, side towing mirrors, and the stereo (aftermarket head unit hooked into factory Bose system, which sounds amazingly good). We talked a lot about the mechanical things on the truck, he clearly knew what he was talking about.

Initial inspection shows it needs new shocks, driver's door window and lock panel doesn't work reliably (switch issue), front tires are scalloped on outer edges (possibly why the ball joints got replaced - I'll get under there and inspect tie rods, idler, and pitman), exhaust hanger at tailpipe is broken, some interior bulbs are out, key fob remote doesn't work well. Minor stuff.

Truck came with a second set of OEM bare wheels, and a large aluminum toolbox with no key. I might keep that toolbox and mount some bike fork mounts to the top. It takes up a lot of space in a 6.5' bed though.

In summer of 2021, I sold my 2000 GMC Sierra 2500, 6.0 gas, 4WD, extended cab, longbed, around 135K miles (hard miles by prior owners), $6500. (Bought it in 2011 for $7000.) Significant rust, had to repair rockers by cutting out parts. Much rougher condition inside and underneath. Transmission occasionally showed signs of slipping. It was time for it to go. But my decade of owning and repairing it means I know this model pretty well inside and out, so I have a good feeling about my new used beater truck.
    We have the same rig (Chevy version). It's been a great rig with really surprising power while plowing. Tons of torque. Gas mileage is terrible as you know but the great thing is that it gets the same gas mileage towing...it's like it it doesn't care and is committing to sucking at the same level.

Replacing the blown out shocks with Bilsteins while installing aftermarket HD ball joints made that thing a real pleasure to drive.

Besides ball joints and shocks, I installed Timbren bump stops (plow truck), replaced the oil pressure sending unit and the battery. It's been a really good truck.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I forgot - seller replaced the oil pressure sending unit too, while he had the intake manifold off. I did that on my old truck. PITA to reach it with manifold in place, super easy with manifold off.

Crawled around under the truck today, checked stuff out. Tie rods, pitman, idler all seem good - no play I could find with fingers at the joints while Mrs C turned the steering wheel back and forth. Shocks are shot. One rear is leaking a lot, other has a severely melted boot. Ordered a set of Bilstein 4600 for about $310 shipped - had those on the old truck, and they worked great.

The spare tire is a stock size 245/75/16, but somebody put a P metric one on the 8-lug wheel. Weird. Since the two front tires have heavy scalloping at the shoulders (and one has a nail in it), I'm going to just start fresh and order a new set of tires - will put one of the scalloped old front tires on the spare wheel, as it's E rated at least. The other three can go to Craigslist.

FWIW we put to 255/80 R17's on ours (tall and skinny) and they are great. No rubbing, do great plowing and give just a wee bit more clearance. I got a deal on Toyo AT3's but any tire in that size will be money.

Nice price