Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone have a Diamond Guy?

Yeah gonna bite the bullet. Anyone have a good diamond connection? Or anything to think about (aside from the whole marriage thing itself) when looking at diamonds/rings/etc. My grandparents had friends who were jewelers but everyone's kicked the bucket at this point. So my default is Kay or Jared's

I know I know bad idea.
    Decisions Decisions

Find your local jeweler and stay away from the big box stores.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

If you're gonna buy in, buy in. https://www.tiffany.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uncut_gems_0106202.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	444490

….

Fuck diamonds. Been there. Wasted that.

It’s all marketing bullshit. Before debeers convinced women they need diamonds it was just a nice stone ring.
    Rubies. Sapphires. Etc. just buy a nice ring. With bling.

Try reselling a diamond. Lucky to get a third of the price.

Marriage is fine. Diamonds are stupid.

Maybe get on one knee and propose with some pocket bacon?

The pussy must be really good if she talked to him to this.
    That said, find out what kind of cut she likes, buy used or antique then reset the stone in whatever ring design she likes, tie it on a bow on your cock then whip it out at the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    That said, find out what kind of cut she likes, buy used or antique then reset the stone in whatever ring design she likes, tie it on a bow on your cock then whip it out at the appropriate time.
    This. In the middle of a crowded, high end restaurant is the customary place.

Got my wife’s engagement ring from here back in the day:

https://www.bluenile.com/?gclid=EAIa...e+nile+jewelry

Way better prices than jewelry stores. Quality has seemed good. Haven’t checked in on them in 15 years though….

Agree with Core Shot, it's all marketing BS. Like he said, the resell value of a diamond is crap. With that context, a few things to think about:

-Any heirloom rings on either side? Depends on your audience of course, but in my case, there was a cool ring with some family history that was better than anything we would have bought.
    -Fuck the recommendations for how many months salary you should spend. The question to ask "Is this so valuable that it makes my partner a target?" No point having a ring that you have to lock up all the time
    -Look into man made diamonds. Guaranteed to be ethically sourced, no inclusions or imperfections, and they're cheaper. That last point may be a stumbling block, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fuck diamonds. Been there. Wasted that.

It’s all marketing bullshit. Before debeers convinced women they need diamonds it was just a nice stone ring.
    Rubies. Sapphires. Etc. just buy a nice ring. With bling.

Try reselling a diamond. Lucky to get a third of the price.

Marriage is fine. Diamonds are stupid.

Maybe get on one knee and propose with some pocket bacon?

Moissanite, if she isn’t the type of girl to get all caught up in that kinda thing. Sparkles like/more than a diamond, nearly as durable, for a lot less money.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    If you're gonna buy in, buy in. https://www.tiffany.com/
    Heh. I missed that post.
    Yeah. My wife has one. I was an idiot.

I should have just offered her pocket meats.

Bone up and search here. Local guys where we lived were disappointing and expensive. Online purchase was a no-brainer
    https://www.pricescope.com/

Went with these guys. They were awesome. Any of the majors will be good, pick the vendor based on the stone you want (see search above).
    https://www.whiteflash.com
    Last edited by bagtagley; 01-25-2023 at 12:11 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I successfully avoided all that nonsense so my opinion is probably worthless.

That being said, if I had to I would put my money towards maximizing the 'sparkliness' of the stone rather than the size. Way more impressive to see a tiny sparkle from across the room than some big gaudy thing.

I designed a ring myself. Went to a local jeweler, sketched a ring by hand, had a bunch of design elements that meant stuff to us inside our relationship, picked a non-diamond stone, added two tiny diamonds on the palm side as a nod to the tradition, and came out with a custom ring. If your wife is an active person, some huge blingy stone becomes an issue. You could instead spend some money on the band and setting and maybe a little less on the stone, and make it your own.

My lovely wife is a big skier, biker, rafter etc, and over time we figured out that the cool way I had them set the stone into the band was not solid enough, so we eventually went back and redid it as a full bezel set for security. Avoid that mistake.

Neither of us ever regretted not going the traditional route, fwiw.

if you're looking for a "deal" on the engagement ring, you've lost the plot. If your squeeze will be disapointed by a small/medium rock, then she has lost the plot.

I bought my wifes ring from Jared Allen online. Easy peasy and no hassle, no upsale, no guilt tripping about not spending more $$$$$. I got to custom design the whole thing and had it sent to my office. there are lots of online custom jewelers like this out there (see above for Bluenile).

Also as said above, if your wife is active get the diamond set into the ring... prongs wont cut it. Get that shit melted in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Yeah gonna bite the bullet. Anyone have a good diamond connection? Or anything to think about (aside from the whole marriage thing itself) when looking at diamonds/rings/etc. My grandparents had friends who were jewelers but everyone's kicked the bucket at this point. So my default is Kay or Jared's

I know I know bad idea.
    If you are looking for the best bang for your buck and are willing to come to NYC, I can give you a guy in the diamond district that I've done a lot with over the years. Some seriously amazing stones for a couple bucks more than the chains. Your wife's friends can tell the difference in sparkle if that matters to you. Send me a message if so.

If it doesn't, go local and get a H or I in color (can't tell the difference with the naked eye from the truly colorless), VS2 clarity without obvious inclusions - also wont be able to tell the difference from perfect, and cut ratio is the most important thing as far as sparkle, assuming round brilliant (the classic cut and the one with the best resale if it all doesn't work out - I got about 75% of purchase price back after marriage #1. Bought a huge hot tub with the proceeds, ha). Don't go too shallow, will look bigger but won't sparkle - my biggest issue with tiffany stones. Don't go too deep or you'll get the carat weight but won't look big.

And if your budget has you with a small stone, add a halo, makes it look bigger. I also recommend that with a big stone to make it look friggen huge. If that's what she's into. Most importantly, find out what she's into. Both women I've married knew exactly the ring they wanted since they were teenagers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

I didn't get my wife a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    If you are looking for the best bang for your buck and are willing to come to NYC, I can give you a guy in the diamond district that I've done a lot with over the years. Some seriously amazing stones for a couple bucks more than the chains. Your wife's friends can tell the difference in sparkle if that matters to you. Send me a message if so.

If it doesn't, go local and get a H or I in color (can't tell the difference with the naked eye from the truly colorless), VS2 clarity without obvious inclusions - also wont be able to tell the difference from perfect, and cut ratio is the most important thing as far as sparkle, assuming round brilliant (the classic cut and the one with the best resale if it all doesn't work out - I got about 75% of purchase price back after marriage #1. Bought a huge hot tub with the proceeds, ha). Don't go too shallow, will look bigger but won't sparkle - my biggest issue with tiffany stones. Don't go too deep or you'll get the carat weight but won't look big.

And if your budget has you with a small stone, add a halo, makes it look bigger. I also recommend that with a big stone to make it look friggen huge. If that's what she's into. Most importantly, find out what she's into. Both women I've married knew exactly the ring they wanted since they were teenagers.
    Oh, and make sure to look at the options in natural light. Every store and even my guy use ultra bright LEDs to get everything to sparkle beyond when you are buying. He told me to put each option under the table, away from the lights nd see what it would look like in a dark room. The last one I bought from him for my wife looks like a flashlight in the dark. That's what you are going for.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I didn't get my wife a ring.
    Neither did I. Gave her a mountain bike as an engagement thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Like he said, the resell value of a diamond is crap.
    Congrats. If your bird wants a nice diamond get her one. As far as the list of things you can lose $ on (cars, houses, bitcoin, carbon fiber mountain bikes, etc.) buying a $7500 diamond that loses some value ain't a big deal. Pay some extra money to get a GIA cert w/ your stone and if she ever loses it you have something besides a jeweler estimate written on the back of a napkin to show the insurance company. Also, if someone goes to the trouble of getting it cert'd, you're pretty well assured it's a decent stone with a quality cut.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Neither did I. Gave her a mountain bike as an engagement thing.
    I tried that. Plus money toward a new car and a variety of other things. If only.

Had a family ring for Engagement, bought wedding band on 47th St in Manhattan from a GIA certified Jeweler. South west corner of 6th ave if you are going

No advice on diamonds, but, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Had a family ring for Engagement, bought wedding band on 47th St in Manhattan from a GIA certified Jeweler. South west corner of 6th ave if you are going
    Just don't go on Sat, they're closed.

Besides Seals and Crofts, anybody ever met a diamond girl?