Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I'm shocked no one's mentioned 333 yet.
    This guy is still going which amazed me. It's now called community skis and he teaches ski building classes. You can design any ski you want as long as you like poplar cores, with full caps and no metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    This guy is still going which amazed me. It's now called community skis and he teaches ski building classes. You can design any ski you want as long as you like poplar cores, with full caps and no metal.
    Awww man. I much preferred the plywood cores.

You can also now get skis from your favorite clothing companies and coordinate your colorways. Even ones not owned by giant outdoor conglomerates.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...is/?color=5522

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Awww man. I much preferred the plywood cores.
    Oh, it is still plywood. https://www.communityskis.com/TECHNICAL.php

I was wrong about the poplar. Its birch, 9 ply dimensionally stable...

Wolf skis. Early '90s. Out of Ketcham ID, made in Austria I believe. White Smoke, Black Smoke models

You can also now get skis from your favorite clothing companies and coordinate your colorways. Even ones not owned by giant outdoor conglomerates.

Evi skis are fucking dope, so no problem here

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Wolf skis. Early '90s. Out of Ketcham ID, made in Austria I believe. White Smoke, Black Smoke models

That's right, forgot about those. Saw quite a few in JH.

Boutique Ski Brands

I still have two pair of red Wolf Skis in my basement I take out occasionally. One is 181 that was my first BC set up w Fritschis. The other is 191 powder “fat skis” measuring a massive 95mm at the waist. At least it seemed wide when I got them. Took the 191s to AK for a trip w VHSGs and had no complaints (one guy on that trip showed up w sugar daddies that seemed so wide we called them snowboards -100mm. lol)

I got the Wolfs because my friend Mike Costello was repping them at the time. Pretty hard to find a better skier than him so I figured at least I’d know it wouldnt be the tool if my skiing sucked

Cancer got Mike last month, so maybe I’ll take the Wolf’s out for a spin for him next week. Fuck cancer
    Last edited by mcski; 01-27-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I'm shocked no one's mentioned 333 yet.
    Beetlejuice!

We have been following these three Euro brands who have been producing stellar skis...
    -Augment
    -Blossom
    -Lusti

All have key collections that are world class.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Line and Igneous were the pioneers of making indie skis for 'expert' skiers, correct me if I'm wrong. They led the way for 4frnt, ON3P, Praxis, moment, etc. Previous boutique brands were for mellow pow skiing (miller softs) or for super rich aspenites to feel cool.

I'd like to give full credit to Igneous for being the pioneer but Line started a year before them - but I would guess Line was a dorky ski board brand when they started right? Wrong?

Line was a dorky ski blade brand when they started. Pretty sure k2 rolled out a full-size twin tip before line as well, but could be wrong. I also think Line moved to the Utopie factory pretty quickly. For a while Karhu skis shared a lot of molds with them but don’t know the full details on that.

I do like to classify the boutique brands into two categories:
    A) built their own damn skis (Prior, Moment, ON3P, WNDR)
    B) smart enough to contract that shit out (Faction, Liberty, J Skis, 4FRNT, Icelantic)

Not that there is anything wrong with either method, just very different businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    You are doomed from the start when you market your goods to crunchy telemark skiers. As a group, tele skiers are too cheap to keep their sport going.

No offense meant, but your ten year old skis are a prime example.
    No offense taken but have bought skis since. Also missed 5 winters due to various reasons. About to pop for some Gonzos and bindings and new boots. But hey, skiing is expensive.

Whiteroom is out of Vermont, their website is still up so I’m assuming they’re still making skis

IIRC they are maggot owned/affiliated. can anyone confirm/deny?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Xavier has a good point in refining what boutique might mean.

My local brand, Igneous, is still entirely hand built. No factory nothing. Cores milled from a plank with a bandsaw and a planer. Bookmatched core strips.
    Epoxies applied manually with gloves and a bondo spreader; same with kevlar, glass, etc.

Top shelf quality, built for durability, still as attractive as you want 'em to be.

SGN and Moonlight for some Scandi, high quality goodness

or your favorite bike company:
    https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCat...BCATID=4273194
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s funny that you said “Prior to that”, Prior predates both PM Gear and ON3P

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, but Prior was strictly making snowboards until after Splat started up, IIRC.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    We have been following these three Euro brands who have been producing stellar skis...
    -Augment
    -Blossom
    -Lusti

All have key collections that are world class.
    Fondled some Augments beginning of season. Seem very legit.

Oh, it is still plywood. https://www.communityskis.com/TECHNICAL.php

I was wrong about the poplar. Its birch, 9 ply dimensionally stable...
    Wow. That’s a good read. He’s still mentally off kilter but he’s giving back to the community. I guess.

Is he obernard Franz?

Name:  technical-ski-testing.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  139.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Line was a dorky ski blade brand when they started. Pretty sure k2 rolled out a full-size twin tip before line as well, but could be wrong.
    I don't know what K2 ski that is or when it came out, but i did find this "in 2000 line and Kris Ostness to develop a full length 193cm real twin tip that was years ahead of it’s time. It’s named, “The Ostness Dragon.”

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wow. That’s a good read. He’s still mentally off kilter but he’s giving back to the community. I guess.

Is he obernard Franz?

Name:  technical-ski-testing.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  139.1 KB
    You gotta respect the send even if it is not your cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I don't know what K2 ski that is or when it came out, but i did find this "in 2000 line and Kris Ostness to develop a full length 193cm real twin tip that was years ahead of it’s time. It’s named, “The Ostness Dragon.”
    I think the K2 was called the Performer. I believe it came out in '96-'97 season and had the same top sheet as the El Camino. I was like 16 at the time and was obsessed with finding a pair. The idea of being able to take off and land switch was mind blowing to me. I did hear they were super soft and skied like crap, but whatever.
    Thanks Shane

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8381115C-D6A2-4D27-A132-A2011342DFCE.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	444694

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I think the K2 was called the Performer. I believe it came out in '96-'97 season and had the same top sheet as the El Camino. I was like 16 at the time and was obsessed with finding a pair. The idea of being able to take off and land switch was mind blowing to me. I did hear they were super soft and skied like crap, but whatever.
    K2 also had the Enemy about ‘99 or ‘00. Black top, red white blue base in a 183.