Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Uhhhhh…. Paging ExoticSkis

www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Line and Igneous were the pioneers of making indie skis for 'expert' skiers, correct me if I'm wrong. They led the way for 4frnt, ON3P, Praxis, moment, etc. Previous boutique brands were for mellow pow skiing (miller softs) or for super rich aspenites to feel cool.

I'd like to give full credit to Igneous for being the pioneer but Line started a year before them - but I would guess Line was a dorky ski board brand when they started right? Wrong?
    Of the Indies that still exist, I think Movement was in there pretty early too. Not quite as early as Iggy or Line though. And much more Euro-centric.

Pretty sure AK Bommer was making skis with twin tips in the late nineties as well

Wagner has been around since 2006. I remember demoing a pair in like 2011 and wanting to get one for a long time.

Shaggy’s is about that old too if you want skis from Michigan.

Regarding Movement, Tua skis essentially became Movement skis (Nani Tua started his own factory, and once he shuttered the Tua brand, he linked up with the rest of the movement team to launch that new brand using his original factory c. 2002 IIRC). The Tua Excalibur was one of the original bc shredder-bro skis too.

And shoutouts to Ramer, PRE, Olin (Outer Limits), and RD as some of the original indies! Interesting to see how many little brands came out of Sun Valley 70's and 80's.

This thread isn't complete without a mention of Rax skis. Is Tom still around here?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Research Dynamics mention is a trip. I have a friend who still has a pair of RD Coyote skis and a RD Coyote bike in his basement.

Anyone remember Scotty Bob’s, the asymmetrical ski. Those were around early to mid 90’s I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How about "The Claw" straight outa Waterford, Maine. Mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioIglesias View Post
    Research Dynamics mention is a trip. I have a friend who still has a pair of RD Coyote skis and a RD Coyote bike in his basement.
    My uncle still skis his RD Coyotes...a lot

Fatypus - maker of the Allotta. One of the first super fat skis (140mm)

Kingswood out of NZ were the craze on TGR before introduction of rockered skis iirc
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Ramer, now that's an old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

And shoutouts to Ramer, PRE, Olin (Outer Limits), and RD as some of the original indies! Interesting to see how many little brands came out of Sun Valley 70's and 80's.
    Ski ‘em like they’re stOLIN. At least that’s what my old doctored foam coozie says. Cracked edges…Jeeze, what will they think of next?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Ramer, now that's an old one.
    I still remember the ramer firn ski and ramer bindings from an old paper catalogue that came by pony express mail. Never saw or skied one irl. But they seemed cool.

RD coyote was my first real tele ski. Fun as hell. Stiff and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Regarding Movement, Tua skis essentially became Movement skis (Nani Tua started his own factory, and once he shuttered the Tua brand, he linked up with the rest of the movement team to launch that new brand using his original factory c. 2002 IIRC). The Tua Excalibur was one of the original bc shredder-bro skis too.

Tua and Chouinard we're same skis no?
    Weren't 1st couple Black Diamond(after Chouinard purchase) runs built in that factory?

RD and most definitely PRE we're K2 spinoffs.
    Didn't PRE become Scott?
    Speaking of Sun Valley. The Ski

Wubanger!

Im surprised no one has mentioned praxis esp for how much love they get on here.
    Seems like keith has been making skis for a while, not sure when they started.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioIglesias View Post
    Ha, me too

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Anyone remember Scotty Bob’s, the asymmetrical ski. Those were around early to mid 90’s I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Out of Silverton if I remember correctly? I remember wanting some after seeing them in Couloir or telemark skier BITD.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Ski ‘em like they’re stOLIN. At least that’s what my old doctored foam coozie says. Cracked edges…Jeeze, what will they think of next?
    Olin skis were a division of giant Olin corp, hardly an indie. How about hexcel?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post

Wubanger!
    Also Kitten Factory and Hinterland in the SLC area. I think all three may have a common connection, but I can't remember.

I demo'd some Kitten Factory's like maybe 7 or 8 years ago and really liked them for a touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Tua and Chouinard we're same skis no?
    Weren't 1st couple Black Diamond(after Chouinard purchase) runs built in that factory?

RD and most definitely PRE we're K2 spinoffs.
    Didn't PRE become Scott?
    Speaking of Sun Valley. The Ski

Wubanger!
    Chouinard skis were built by Tua, and that relationship continued for a few years into the Black Diamond days. BD then had skis made by Morotto, another Italian company. I can't remember what happened next, but shortly after, I think they started to make their skis in their own factory in China. The Tua Excalibur was indeed a game changer, great ski.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    ID One is still using cracked edges to get softer flex on some of their mogul skis:

https://www.idoneusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=256

Olin group…guns and skis… I think K2’s ownership bought Olin in the late 90s too. At least the ski part anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Whiteroom is out of Vermont, their website is still up so I’m assuming they’re still making skis

IIRC they are maggot owned/affiliated. can anyone confirm/deny?
    Brain unfart, the mag is Vinman.

Pretty sure Ski Logic was a predecessor/ love child of Scotty Bob

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Chouinard skis were built by Tua, and that relationship continued for a few years into the Black Diamond days. BD then had skis made by Morotto, another Italian company. I can't remember what happened next, but shortly after, I think they started to make their skis in their own factory in China. The Tua Excalibur was indeed a game changer, great ski.
    Atomic had a run building BD too