Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I find it interesting that there isn't more love for the SPX. Same toe piece as a pivot. The heel has way more travel than any non pivot biding on the market. Heel engages well and isn't bad to get into. And the heel adjustment is large enough to get about 3 BSL sizes to work with any mount.

I'm kind of in Toast's camp with pivots - small heel plate is nice for ski flex - but if you like pivots and need a binding that is either cheaper or more "shareable" SPX seems like it should be more popular.

Maybe it's cause if you move away from Pivots you just move away from Look altogether? Or is it because the general population still hasn't embraced the improvements that came when they redesigned the binding from PX to SPX? Maybe old habits just die hard.
    Have these on my current planks and also the last three sets. The function, price and durability is a perfect combo for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Pivots - Slightly better skiing:

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Totally subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Totally subjective.

Wrong. Pivots are the best and you don't know shit.

Quote Originally Posted by CYJ View Post
    Attachment 444568

While we're on the topic of alpine bindings (and don't think this question needs a new thread) but anyone notice Kye prefers xcomps over Royal bindings? Think he was riding them in a Kye Shapes promo vid as well when he was still signed with Marker Products at the time.

Never raced and have zero knowledge of race bindings, but what would make him prefer it over Griffs/Jesters? I assumed xcomps and 'race' bindings are to be used with lifter plates? Stock photos do make it seem like they have less stack (without lifters) compared to the Royal family.
    It could be the twin cam heel.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Wrong. Pivots are the best and you don't know shit.
    That’s because you like dildos

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    R22 plate steps down, it’s thicker under toe
    Any chance you could measure the step height? Mounting flat would increase ramp a bit, curious how much.
    https://www.skitalk.com/attachments/...12-jpg.159371/

Interesting: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/look...9/#post-409903

If you slarve or brush turn - pivots (not me)

If you rail STH2 WTR

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Any chance you could measure the step height? Mounting flat would increase ramp a bit, curious how much.
    Looks like ~3mm as best as I can measure. R22 Plate toe ~13.5mm, heel 10.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    If you slarve or brush turn - pivots (not me)

If you rail STH2 WTR
    if you really rail and slarve and ski everything in between jester pros. Lol. See ya tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Looks like ~3mm as best as I can measure. R22 Plate toe ~13.5mm, heel 10.5mm
    Wow, quite a bit. I'll check ramp and see if the 3mm difference affects AFD contact when mounted flat.

Gripwalk toe baseplates have higher AFD's, which could help compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    if you really rail and slarve and ski everything in between jester pros. Lol. See ya tomorrow
    Jesters are trash, STH4life. Or if you’re legit, Rockerace.

Alpine bindings - current best?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Wow, quite a bit. I'll check ramp and see if the 3mm difference affects AFD contact when mounted flat.

Gripwalk toe baseplates have higher AFD's, which could help compensate.
    FWIW the Race catalogs on Issuu specify stack heights for Rockerace toe and heel with R22 plate.

https://issuu.com/rossignol.sk/docs/...atalog_2223_1_

Toe / heel:
    27.6 / 31.2 for SPX 15 / PX 18 rockerace
    30.5 /31.2 for SPX 12 rockerace

I'm guessing without the negative delta on the plate the positive delta of the binding would be way excessive (edit - my terminology might be backwards - is heel to toe drop positive or negative ???)

I've never bothered comparing rockerace to the regular SPX but starting to wonder if the race heel is a lot higher - God knows theres enough of both 12 and 15 rockerace and regular 12 spx in my garage I could take a look sometime.

Actually without the plate, the Rockerace sounds about same ramp as OG STH, with is great for non-race boots with directional skis.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Truth. Durability is unmatched.

PS - how many people honestly run their Pivot DINs in the 15 to 18 range that the P18 accommodates??
    I think I see more broken Pivots than any other modern binding. Almost always half moons and brake mechanisms, which can be replaced, but it's notably more than others. We keep those parts in stock, and it's wild how quickly we burn thru them. If I see a ripper's skis with Pivots come in for a re-mount, 4 times out of 5 they are getting some new hardware in the heel piece.

As for me I'm on STH2s for all my resort rigs. Skis quite well (Pivot is arguably smoother), but way easier to step into, less finicky, and more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Jesters are trash, STH4life. Or if you’re legit, Rockerace.

jesters are trash. Jester pros are not.

regardless trash binding work for my white trash ass.

Quote Originally Posted by knarrrr View Post
    I think I see more broken Pivots than any other modern binding. Almost always half moons and brake mechanisms, which can be replaced, but it's notably more than others. We keep those parts in stock, and it's wild how quickly we burn thru them. If I see a ripper's skis with Pivots come in for a re-mount, 4 times out of 5 they are getting some new hardware in the heel piece.
    the screw pattern is pretty concentrated in one spot so how about pullouts ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the screw pattern is pretty concentrated in one spot so how about pullouts ?
    I've definitely seen more pullouts on Pivots, but usually would blame ski construction in those cases, like the Faction Candide era skis that were just built too light. I think with a solid mount the pattern shouldn't be an issue.

I have Pivots on all but my touring skis. Combo of 12's with the plastic SPX toe and metal 15's. Never broken any of them, also never released from a Pivot. Coincidence, maybe.

I just picked up some bargain STH2's and my shop tech (who rips and is very knowledgeable) wants me to try Strive 16's on my new skis. He thinks the ramp angle is going to be good for my skiing. So, Looks (pun intended) like I'm giving Salomon a chance.

FWIW, I have run SPX's without issue, though I have released from them at my standard Pivot DIN's. Could be purely coincidence.

What I'm not grasping is why look is offering the Rockerace clamps with gripwalk AFD's (clearly not for racing) but only with the skinny brakes????? No options for wider brakes. This logic does not seem logical to me....maybe I'm just stupid.

Race coaches in grip walk boots that won't ski other bindings?

I'm in p18s at 11 strictly for durability. Have broken multiple baseplates, however.

Alpine bindings - current best?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    What I'm not grasping is why look is offering the Rockerace clamps with gripwalk AFD's
    Probably so they can use the same toe for rockerace, pivots and spx and therefore reduce parts and sku’s

Is there some downside to the grip walk compatible afd with 5355 soles??
    Last edited by dcpnz; 01-29-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Why so many broken baseplates and pullouts, I wonder if maybe that dildo sticking up there acts like a big lever to break things ??

My first set of skis had look 37's with a turntable and I thot they worked pretty good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    What I'm not grasping is why look is offering the Rockerace clamps with gripwalk AFD's (clearly not for racing) but only with the skinny brakes????? No options for wider brakes. This logic does not seem logical to me....maybe I'm just stupid.
    I agree.

I could actually give 2 shits about the short mounting pattern... I'm not sold on that part.

But I want a 15 din metal toe and a normal spx heel with wide brakes available.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    I have Pivots on all but my touring skis. Combo of 12's with the plastic SPX toe and metal 15's. Never broken any of them, also never released from a Pivot. Coincidence, maybe.

I just picked up some bargain STH2's and my shop tech (who rips and is very knowledgeable) wants me to try Strive 16's on my new skis. He thinks the ramp angle is going to be good for my skiing. So, Looks (pun intended) like I'm giving Salomon a chance.

FWIW, I have run SPX's without issue, though I have released from them at my standard Pivot DIN's. Could be purely coincidence.
    Maybe I missed this but is the strive ramp flat? Or flatter than the sth2?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Maybe I missed this but is the strive ramp flat? Or flatter than the sth2?
    I think Bandit posted about this earlier and it's pretty much the same as the warden... so pretty flat,

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season