Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stiff, full rocker skis <110mm?

Looking to see what's out there in the daily driver category that has lots of rocker and is also fairly stiff.

I've been on whitedot directors for the past few years and I love them for the "soft but not deep" kind of conditions. They're stiff and heavy enough to charge pretty hard, but still super easy to noodle around through trees.

But my whitedots are dying, so what should be on my radar as a replacement? Emphasis is on smearing around in 3 day old chopped up pow. Fairly unconcerned with groomer performance.

Mfree 108's are probably at the top of the list, mostly hindered by dynastar not making a 187 length (and yes, I recognize that I should be less concerned about a couple centimeters). What else is out there?

Raven’s (might be too light)
    Custom Praxis w CCR (MVP?)
    Moment Meridian
    WNDR Intention (might be too light)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Black Crows Corvus

Hojis

Try to get lucky, find a pair of decent OG Cochise and call it a day!

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Ha, that's kind of what I was thinking of saying.

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Have some! Of course, one of the edges is no longer attached. But I can just only make right turns I guess. My whitedots are actually what replaced the Cochises when those died. Ultimately I liked the whitedots better - almost as chargeable, but floated better and were a lot easier in tight spots just by virtue of having a lot more rocker.

Some other good suggestions in here. I need to take a better look at the praxis and 4frnt options. The MVP's look pretty close to what I'm after.

And to make things more complicated, Marshall pinged me with some stuff he's working on with heritage labs that sounds like might fit the bill nicely.

Corvus and Devastator

Icelantic Saba Pro 107
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Get the full rocker MVP and report back! Has anyone had Keith make that ski?

Old construction devastator seems like it would fit the bill, but might be worth waiting for what Marshal is cooking up in the lab. I’m definitely excited for those

An OG Devastator ~188 length would be awesome, that was such a good ski.

For that perfect balance of damp power at speed in variable soft snow, carving trenches on groomers, shutting it down instantly at any time, and effortlessly weaving through tight trees in soft snow, I don’t think there is a better ski than Vwerks Katanas. Not the ultimate in any one of these (except maybe shutting it down) but exceptionally versatile.

Toast’s wish list is why I still ski the old EHP mid winter…
    - Flat camber with low late tip tail rise - way less rocketed than hoji, less see saw
    - Heavy - similar to old dev weight
    - stiff, tapered bullet nose - punches through vs getting hung up like wider softer hoji tip… although more to dive prone
    - 40m radius - essentially zero side cut (tip 129, waist 116) makes it pivoty slashy without the extreme full rocker, great in trees and surprisingly great in moguls
    - stiff, loose enough (low late rise) tail
    The Raven is closest in the current 4frnt line up, but way skinnier and somewhat softer. I couldn’t jive with the hoji or new ren (and OG ren was still way more rockered).
    That said, the EHP is the scariest on hard snow and ice.
    But if snow is remotely soft, fun and versatile.
    Still trying to find the closest to this in a more current ski… so watching this thread and what Marshal may have cooking!

The Corvus in 188 is what you are describing

2015-2018 Mantra
    2012-2014 Katana

I have a set of cheapo 2016 Mantras with bindings I could let go for $170 plus shipping. They only have 10 days on them but need some epoxy work on some deeper (but still superficial) topsheet scratches.

In terms of versatility, you might consider the Moment WC 108's. They've been my daily driver now since they were first released (spring 2018 I think?) and the newer versions are a bit heavier for charging (I have that version of the 118's so have a feel for the flex).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post
    2015-2018 Mantra
    2012-2014 Katana

I have a set of cheapo 2016 Mantras with bindings I could let go for $170 plus shipping. They only have 10 days on them but need some epoxy work on some deeper (but still superficial) topsheet scratches.
    The old metal katana fo sho is this

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    In terms of versatility, you might consider the Moment WC 108's. They've been my daily driver now since they were first released (spring 2018 I think?) and the newer versions are a bit heavier for charging (I have that version of the 118's so have a feel for the flex).
    Yeah, I owned those for a bit (the first version of the 108). They were good, but I just never quite clicked with them. They were more work to ski tight trees with than the whitedots, but also less stable when things opened up. The newer, heavier version has me a little curious though.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The Corvus in 188 is what you are describing
    Yeah, that is very much in the ballpark. I think older version is heavier? (Looks like current non-freebird is still sub 2000 gr)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, I owned those for a bit (the first version of the 108). They were good, but I just never quite clicked with them. They were more work in tight trees than the whitedots, but also less stable when things opened up. Better on groomers and hardpack, but I've got some LP105's for when things get firm. The newer, heavier version has me a little curious though.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Toast’s wish list is why I still ski the old EHP mid winter…
    - Flat camber with low late tip tail rise - way less rocketed than hoji, less see saw
    - Heavy - similar to old dev weight
    - stiff, tapered bullet nose - punches through vs getting hung up like wider softer hoji tip… although more to dive prone
    - 40m radius - essentially zero side cut (tip 129, waist 116) makes it pivoty slashy without the extreme full rocker, great in trees and surprisingly great in moguls
    - stiff, loose enough (low late rise) tail
    The Raven is closest in the current 4frnt line up, but way skinnier and somewhat softer. I couldn’t jive with the hoji or new ren (and OG ren was still way more rockered).
    That said, the EHP is the scariest on hard snow and ice.
    But if snow is remotely soft, fun and versatile.
    Still trying to find the closest to this in a more current ski… so watching this thread and what Marshal may have cooking!
    That's pretty much the Heritage Labs FL113. 133/113/122; a little longer effective edge than an EHP, and slightly longer radius. Stiff, pretty heavy and damp. Depending on where you're comfortable mount point wise(-10/11 optimal), could be it.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

+1 on the 4th generation Volkl Mantra, I got a pair recently and they are a ton of fun while still being very powerful

+1 for old Devastator.

Then if not, +1 also for Raven (lighter option, but still somehow doesn't get bucked around) or Corvus (kind like an older Cochise, but not as much grrrrr).
    Maybe a Katana?

not full rocker, but people have also recommended me the Sender squad to fit the bill.

like you, I'm always looking for the same, but thinking of trying the m-free 108 for something a little more poppy playful fun.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...tormrider-skis

Great skis, slice right through chopped up garbage. Also surprisingly good in the fluff. These skis make you a better skier.